CO2 Reactor questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-20-2004, 01:09 AM   #1
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have seen the many DIY articles of reactors for doseing CO2 but I have some questions that I have not really come to terms yet. Mostly which is best and maybe they all work just fine.

I do like the reactors in the tank powered by a seperate power head but I don't like the fact that it is "in the tank" taking away from the tanks beauty.

So the inline designs. Does it make a difference if they are on the inlet or outlet of your canister filter? I have a eheim power head that can be run outside the tank what about a seperate pump inline design outside the tank with just a return line? The concer I have with this setup is to much water flow.
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm building something like you are asking about with PVC and a QuietOne pump. I'll probably have to get another pump however, I'm not sure I trust this pump not to leak. I'm putting a ball valve on the return to simulate more head to the pump and slow downthe return flow. The CO2 injection will be on the inlet to the pump though, get the bubbles of CO2 to fight gravity as well as the flow.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
batman
Algae Grower

i'm getting ready to do my first co2 setup. everything i have read says to put it on the outlet hose (return to tank). This will create less resistance on the filter flow and eliminate the chance of bubbles entering the cannister and air-locking... makes sense to me.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Just to toss this out: i have an 'in the tank' vortex reactor for my CO2, but you don't see it in my photos because it's hidden behind a piece of driftwood, and a thick clump of sunset hygro.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have 'in the tank' home made reactors in each of my 30's and you don't see them because the plant growth is too thick. They just make planting a pain in the butt in that area of each tank.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote