tropic isle
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 10-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
qazplm25
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

tropic isle

no one has posted anything in massachusetts for a while so i thought i would
ask if anyone has been to tropic isle in Massachustts this is right by me.

say anything you want about tropic isle!
~~~~~~~~~~ Michael ~~~~~~~~~
qazplm25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 01:19 AM   #2
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

Ok store. Well lit and clean, large fish selection. Huge selection of saltwater.
Equipment and plants very pricey. Lots of fish unsuitable for most tanks (ie: red tail cats) Totally generic plant section and equipment, though it seems to have been getting better. Many of the employees are total A-holes.

I much prefer All Things Fishy and Uncle Ned's.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
qazplm25
Planted Tank Obsessed

hey minsc,
i totally agree with you on the employee thing. do you know the guy with the huge nose ring he freaks me out. also last time i was there looking at fish, a few feet away from me a guy wanted to get some ghost shrimp, so when he takes them out to put in the bag he drops one then it takes him 5 tries to pinch and pick it up.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
qazplm25
Planted Tank Obsessed

any other massachusetts dwellers out there?
even if you dont no about the fish store feel free to post where you live in MA
Old 10-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
mr.gaboozlebag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

All things fishy is nice. When you are coming out of the road that tropic Isle is on, there is a tatoo and body piercing shop. ( I wonder if that is where the guy got his nose ring?)
mr.gaboozlebag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
qazplm25
Planted Tank Obsessed

ya lol except this is the tropic isle one not all things fishy, but your right thats definitely where he pierced it
Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
qazplm25
Planted Tank Obsessed

come on you guys, where all all the massachusetts hobbyists?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
bmedeiros678
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
Ok store. Well lit and clean, large fish selection. Huge selection of saltwater.
Equipment and plants very pricey. Lots of fish unsuitable for most tanks (ie: red tail cats) Totally generic plant section and equipment, though it seems to have been getting better. Many of the employees are total A-holes.

I much prefer All Things Fishy and Uncle Ned's.

The women at the counter (older and younger with red hair) are total jerks! Prices are very high! They do have the hard to find items. And the coupons the send you are a joke.

I would rather go to fintastic fish! And for plants, why does no one mention paradise water gardens?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Nite Vizhun
Algae Grower

What town is Tropic Isle located in?
Nite Vizhun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
qazplm25
Planted Tank Obsessed

Framingham.

their website is Tropicisleaquarium.com
Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Chikorita
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (79/100%)

I do buy stuffs from here once in a while but their customer services are the worst in town .. I dont go there anymore unless they have something no other stores have .. otherwise .. I would just rather to get it from the clubs or from forum ..
Chikorita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
KC21386
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

I buy everything from tropical isle, as it is way better then petco and petsmart. I have not heard of the other stores in MA that several of you have listed tho, can you refer me to some addresses or websites for them?

Thanks.
KC21386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
davercomeau
Algae Grower

Default Poor service

Every time I go to Tropical Isle to buy fish (that is after I get done watching the reef tank at the entrance for 15 minutes) I am baffled by the lack of employees. There is always one poor dude running around like a mad man with 3 to 6 customers following him opening to be the first to say "I need some fish." Because of the unavailability of employees my questions are left unsaid and fish are left not purchased. They have a great saltwater selection, a good freshwater selection, and a decent plant selection. However, I find some of their nicest fish to be in the display tank and not for sale.
davercomeau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercomeau View Post
Every time I go to Tropical Isle to buy fish (that is after I get done watching the reef tank at the entrance for 15 minutes) I am baffled by the lack of employees. There is always one poor dude running around like a mad man with 3 to 6 customers following him opening to be the first to say "I need some fish." Because of the unavailability of employees my questions are left unsaid and fish are left not purchased. They have a great saltwater selection, a good freshwater selection, and a decent plant selection. However, I find some of their nicest fish to be in the display tank and not for sale.
We have the same type of store here in Fort Myers, but the employees, though a bit overworked and in a very cramped store, still try to give the best cust service they can except for ignoring people, which is obviously going to happen when 5 people are following one guy around. I've left before due to that and the lack of space to move around once there are more than 5 customers and their brother in the store, but when it comes down to it, the staff tries to keep a good attitude. Imagine a guy plopping down on a turned up bucket, taking a deep breath, then peering up and asking in a winded voice, "anything I can help you with?", as if he just climbed a mountain, lol.

Hopefully this place you speak of isn't family owned, in that case you guys should shoot them this link so they can make the proper changes, ie hire and fire appropriately. If it's family owned than you'll probably get more attitude in return.

i don't live in New Eng, but I visit often as my fiance is from there and her fam is in Watertown. I'll be sure to visit these places when I'm back up.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Hopefully this place you speak of isn't family owned, in that case you guys should shoot them this link so they can make the proper changes, ie hire and fire appropriately. If it's family owned than you'll probably get more attitude in return.
Nice try, but the biggest jerks there are the married couple that own the place.
I actually heard the wife yelling at one of the nice employees, "You are here to sell fish, not chat with customers!" As if the two aren't related

Funny story, I used to tell my wife how much the big biker looking guy disliked me, and she never really believed me. One day we went in together, and I told her to flag him down to bag up some cories for me. She said he was nice and friendly to her and then, bang, he saw me, and suddenly became surly and uncommunicative.

To be fair, the fish I actually ended up buying there were always in good health. Of course, I always avoided the tanks full of dying coolie loaches or 1/2 inch SAEs.
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.