Blue Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

I have been battling blue algae all the time in my 45 g. If i didn't add fertilizers,the algae's growth slows down but my plants are suffering from lack of nutrients,when i add fertilizers,Boom!Whole tank is full of algae!!!!%$$@$&% can anybody help me?

List of fertilizer

Azoo Plant Nutrients
Azoo Algae Treater<doesn't work against blue algae though)
Azoo Red Plant Nutrients
Azoo Trace Element

Water parameters

pH 6.8

kH 4

Little nitrate and phosphate

80 g, Eheim Pro II w Hagen Surface Skimmer, TetraTec IN-1000, JBL Aquabasis and Sand subtrate,
1st 40w Lighting: 40W Marine Glo
2nd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Power Glo
3rd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Aqua Glo
Whole set of Azoo fertilizers
3.8 kg Pressurized co2 tank
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2003, 02:00 PM   #2
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is it bluegreen algae ? that slimy stuff?

I thought thats a type of bacteria which is best killed with medicine...

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
zhima
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to zhima

this is my friend's algae pblm, is it blue-green?
zhima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Are you using your CO2 consistently?
Are you dosing a nitrogen source?
Do you have access to Maracyn, it is an "aquarium medicine" essentially erithromicine (an antibiotic), which will kill off a gram negative bacteria like BGA which is a cyanobacteria.

BGA is a controvertial bugger, we argue about what causes it and how to treat it. The "medicine" will knock it down but doesn't ensure that it won't come back. That requires fixing the problem that let it bloom in the first place.

The problem is that this bacteria can fix nitrogen from atmospheric nitrogen the gasseous Nitrogen that is dissolved in the water. Plants can't do this. If you tank is short on nitrates then this bacteria can function taking fertlizers out of the water column that your plants can't take up because they don't have a nitrogen source.

The course of action I have seen work is do a water change and fertilize, treat with the Maracyn for a week (1/2 dose recommended on package), and then do a water change and fertilize, and then keep adding a nitrogen source when you do water changes or as needed based on your tank. I think Rex's FAQ covers how to keep your fertilizers in balance.

zhima: Yes that looks like BGA. If it smells bad when you pull it out of the tank you will know for certain.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:47 AM   #5
zhima
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to zhima

Thank u so much Murphy!! You are so helpful!

It's not my tank, but I share a lot of aquarium growth with him, that's why I want to help him make his tank as healthy as mine.

Accordingly, he's not dosing any nitrogen or phosphate source. He uses liquid fertilizer and PC. CO2 is turned off during the night.

Will UV-sterilizer help?
zhima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:30 AM   #6
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

I would completely avoid dosing P until you can control N and K.

UV won't affect the BGA, which brings up another point. I've heard of people using green water to out battle BGA.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:33 AM   #7
Chuck
Algae Grower

I thank you as well for the good advice Murphy,

Same problem here... My riccia is just starting to come in nicely, and just about all my darker java moss has "contracted" this blue algea goo ??? Not to mention two other forms of algea.. Uhg... Good to know it's not really algea... I'll do the Maracyn, and recomended ferts, and see what happens...

By chance, is there any link with malicite green ?? The blue bacteria has started in pretty bad just after treating my tank for ich... Cured my little loach, but the plants didn't like it one bit....

Any progress on this thread Ace, Zhima... Are yer tanks still blue ???

Chuck
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

well i tear down everything and resetup and now everything is fine.

80 g, Eheim Pro II w Hagen Surface Skimmer, TetraTec IN-1000, JBL Aquabasis and Sand subtrate,
1st 40w Lighting: 40W Marine Glo
2nd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Power Glo
3rd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Aqua Glo
Whole set of Azoo fertilizers
3.8 kg Pressurized co2 tank
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
Splash
Planted Member

Well, I won't get involved in the controversial aspects of the topic, but I can tell what caused in from my experience. The two times that I had major problems with blue-green algae (BGA) was when I wasn't fertilizing at all and was doing lots of water changes to keep nutrients very low. My nitrates were unmeasureable, but phosphate (from decaying fish food) was about 1-2 mg/L. Because of the low nitrate, the tank was algae free until the sudden bloom of BGA (actually, a cyanobacterium).

So my experience is consistent with the idea that BGA occurs when nitrate becomes limiting to higher plants and real algae, but phosphate is still available. Other microflora that usually outcompete BGA die off. BGA can fix aqueous nitrogen gas, so it suddenly blooms.

You might prevent future outbreaks of BGA by fertilizing with just a bit of nitrate so that phosphate becomes the limiting nutrient. Alternatively, you can add a phosphate-absorbing resin to your filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhima
Thank u so much Murphy!! You are so helpful!

It's not my tank, but I share a lot of aquarium growth with him, that's why I want to help him make his tank as healthy as mine.

Accordingly, he's not dosing any nitrogen or phosphate source. He uses liquid fertilizer and PC. CO2 is turned off during the night.

Will UV-sterilizer help?
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Do you have access to Maracyn, it is an "aquarium medicine" essentially erithromicine (an antibiotic), which will kill off a gram negative bacteria like BGA which is a cyanobacteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash
Because of the low nitrate, the tank was algae free until the sudden bloom of BGA (actually, a cyanobacterium).
cyanobacteria, cyanobacterium, Whichever you have, erithromycin will kill it, no nitrates and existing phosphates can encourage it. Don't do the first if you aren't fixing the second.

Who did you think you were being controversial with?

Old 03-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #11
Splash
Planted Member

Just facing reality. For any comment from one person in this forum, you are likely to get ten or more contradictory comments from others. Funny thing is...most or all of them are correct...there are just so many variables involved that one person's experience is likely to be different from another's.

BTW, I wasn't correcting your previous post, just reinforcing it.

splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Who did you think you were being controversial with?
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:08 AM   #12
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

I understood the reinforcing part, you just confused me with the controversial part.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:15 AM   #13
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, the controversy!

I've had exactly the same experiences as Splash described. Fixing it now with the Maracyn & getting my ferts on schedule (been lazy...)
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote