Moss Wall
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
Rebel2004Nay

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello.

I am looking into making a moss wall for my tank. Anyway, what I was wondering was is there any kind of moss or other plant that I could use for my moss wall that isn't green. Also, if any of you have any good links or tips relating to this, could you post those too? That would be a big help!
Rebel2004Nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 03:58 AM   #2
Rebel2004Nay

Come on, doesn't anybody know anything about moss walls?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:33 AM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Hi Rebel, welcome to the Planted Tank, the answer to all your moss wall questions! :mrgreen:

I found myself pondering about mosses that are not green colored. Honestly, I am still pondering, but I think so far every moss I came across displayed some shade of green.

So anyway... Moss walls, great idea! I have one in my 10 gal. I went to Walmart, and bought some of those plastic grids, that are used for some kind of cross stitching or something, they are about 25 cents.

Took two of them, and spaced some Javamoss in between, and put it in the tank. It turned into a moss wall pretty quickly, although I have to say that Christmas Moos (which I acquired later on) would make a much better moss wall, due to the more compact and thick growth (and the Christmas ornaments, if you will).

I think moss walls are the coolest background for a small tank! Maybe for a bigger one too, but I suppose you'd have to feed the moss, it would probably eat quite a bit of nitrates.

Sorry, no red or blue moss walls came to my mind. But definitely get some Christmas moss, and once it has grown in, share some pictures!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've never seen an aquatic moss in any color but green. Only one that is slightly different in color would be Willow Moss, as it's usually quite a bit darker green. Don't know how it would fare as a moss wall though.

As for a link, - http://killies.com/Mosswall.htm
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
Rebel2004Nay

hhhhmmm. OK guys, thanks! I'll probably look into the willow or xmas moss for my wall. If I ever get it finished, I'll post some pics!
Old 03-21-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
Peterstaud
Algae Grower

Try
http://www.nature-aquarium.com/xmas.htm
Peterstaud is offline   Reply With Quote