75 gallon LED build- Calling all LED experts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
flyfshrmn98
Algae Grower

PTrader: (22/100%)

75 gallon LED build- Calling all LED experts

I am getting ready to switch my 75 gallon over from 2 T5HO to LEDs and need input from all the LED experts out there who have successfully converted over.

First, about my setup:
-This will be retrofitted in an existing canopy where the T5s are currently.
-I have 3 heatsinks totaling 8x40x3 that I am planning on using (2x 8x16 1x8x8) unless I am convinced otherwise to go with aluminum tubing
-The tank has CO2 injected and EI dosing
-Light will be 22" from substrate when attached to canopy

I am planning on using a typhon controller so I can dim the channels to 0 and customize sunrise/sunset programs. I will be buying an external power supply and will be using meanwell LDD drivers in various strengths mounted to a LDD board likely made by O2surplus. I would like to overshoot on the lights a little bit and and just dim them as needed. Going for a medium PAR number 40-60

Some random parts I have laying around the house that can be used as needed are about 10 3500k chinese 3w and 30 6500k chinese 3w LEDs (both 700ma in the 180 lum range) and 60 degree optics.

I have not decided on any layouts of the LEDs yet but am planning to use cool white, possibly mix in neutral or warm white, some royal blue, and 660nm reds. So far I have 4 whites that I am looking at...

-Cree XP-G2 6500K
-Luxeon ES cool white 6300K
-Luxeon M 5000K
-Bridgelux BRXA-56C 5600K

I am not sure on the optics or layout yet. I have done some saltwater LED builds in the past so have some experience.

Interested in everyone's thoughts and opinions specifically on the white LEDs and if anyone has any other ones they would recommend. Also on layout, spacing, fans, etc, etc...I know hoppy has a calculator, Ive looked at it some
flyfshrmn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)

OHHHH you're lighting your planted tank! In the PM you had sent I thought you were doing a reef lol, that's why I sent you to my big reef lighting thread.

Cool white LEDs are blue LEDs with a little bit of phosphor applied to them, and remain mostly blue spectrum. Plants want way more red than blue for photosynthesis. I've had the best results recommending a 1:1 ratio of warm white and cool white LEDs.

The Bridgelux chips (the BXRA3 series, the Vero series) have the best color of any listed, and have excellent efficiency, as well. The Luxeon M is not readily available in warmer whites, so I would scratch that off the list.

If you want more even PAR across the tank, then I would use '3w' class chips. If you want a more metal halide approach with more intense shimmer and higher intensities in certain places, then I would use the Bridgelux BXRA3 or Vero in clustered pairs. Both put out enormous amounts of light without a lot of current (they are multichips, so their forward voltage is higher, but higher voltage lower current drivers like the LDD are dirt cheap). Hoppy's PAR calculator doesn't really work all that well with them, so it is difficult to calculate what your PAR will be, but if you keep to using the same amount of lumens that the calc tells you to use, then you'll be in the ball park. There are no wider reflectors at this point for the Vero 10, so the BXRA3 may be your choice, along with the Ledil Brooke W reflector (which is 50 degrees). You can run two BXRA-3 in series per LDD. In the past, I ran two parallel strings of two from a single LDD-1000H over my reef tank, and let me tell ya, it was some intense light.

Also, I'd recommend to use a Meanwell HLG power supply to power the LDD and not the LEDgroupbuy power supplies. They're more efficient and much higher quality. Wattage depends on the final calculated wattage of the LEDs you want to use, add up the watts and then add 20%, then pick the HLG-xxxH-48 or 48A that corresponds closest with that wattage.

Hoppy's calculator suggests ~32x LEDs at 700mA 220lm each, using 60 degree lenses and the lights 8" above the top of the tank. That's about 7000 lumens total. Using the BXRA3, you'd want to use 4x BXRA-30G800-B-00 and 4x BXRA-56C1100-B-00 at 500mA each. That will give you around 9,000 lumens or so at full power, so you'll have wiggle room. These are the reflectors you want. You'd need four LDD-500H, and an HLG-100H-48A to power them.
My shrimp dance about and zoom all over the tank. Then their skins fall off!
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
flyfshrmn98
Algae Grower

As far as adding in extra reds and blues, is it just whatever is aesthetically pleasing or should I should for a certain amount?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)

That's aesthetics. The overall color temperature will be ~4000-4500K with the two LEDs at the same intensity, so if you want to bring that up you can add some royal blue, but it will also introduce color disco.
My shrimp dance about and zoom all over the tank. Then their skins fall off!
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
flyfshrmn98
Algae Grower

I am thinking of possibly a 2:1 combo of cool:warm BXRA ES stars mixed with RB, deep red, and possibly cyan. Does anyone have any opinions on evenly spacing the whites and colors down the 40" heatsink or clustering them would be best? I was planning on using 65 degree ledil reflectors on the whites. They will either be run 2 per LDD-500 or 4 per LDD-700/1000 in parallel and dimmed with my typhon controller.

Here are the 3 BXRA ES stars I am considering
3000K or 2700K
Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
flyfshrmn98
Algae Grower

So here are my initial thoughts on lighting layout. Decided with the bridgelux 5600 and 3000k from above at a 2:1 cool:warm white ratio. Will be clustering the deep red and royal blue leds with the whites. Going to have one 7x16x3 heatsink on each side of the tank. The bridgelux leds will be run at 500ma and dimmed as needed.

Tags
bridgelux, cree, led, luxeon, par