help with micro swords
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #1
mphan1985

PTrader: (0/0%)

help with micro swords

hi everyone, i'm new to planted tanks and i am trying to eventually get a carpet of micro sowrds... however they are either turning brown or have algae growing on them like in the picture,... is there anything that anyone suggests?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	276242  

mphan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #2
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Hi mphan!

A few questions:

Lights (and times they are on)
Filters and other circulation
Ferts? ie in the water or under the gravel
CO2?
WC schedule?

I see a fair amount of other algae on the glass over there as well. It could be a combination of things.
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
mphan1985

thanks for the reply...
it is a 120G tall tank... i have about 1.41 watt per gallon... 4*39 watt bulbs on from 4pm to 2am... odd hours but i work night shift and on my nights off i'm awake at night and want to enjoy it...
filtration... i am using a API filstar xp L rated for more then my tank size...
substrate... i use the following... it works very well in my 40 gallon planted tank...
Amazon.com: CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black: Pet Supplies
CO2... I bought it at a local fish store... 5lb with regulator and it is on during the same hours as my lights for better photosynthesis... i also have a pH checker so i can regulate it on the other side of the tank from the diffuser... it is roughly 7.0
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #4
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

The first thing I would do is shorten the photoperiod 10 hours is a crazy amount of light. I've switched my tanks to a 4 on 4 off 4 on 12 off period and have seen a drastic reduction of algae since doing that.

What is the PH of your tap?
How is the water flow within the tank? It's kinda hard to tell but it looks like it's in the corner of the tank where these plants are located?
What kind of dosing are you following for ferts?
Water changes?

I've had a lot of tweaking with my 55 and I've almost got it to right where I want it, but it's a balancing act.

How are your other plants I can't really see them if they are affected with the algae, there's an algae guide at the top that may help you identify the type of algae you have (really hard to tell from the pics) and a lot of the tips in the guides really do help.

I also use Ecocomplete Black in my 20L and found that my rooted plants do much better with some root tabs
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
mphan1985

the pH from the tap I’m not sure about but then when i put it into the tank, the CO2 is on so it adjust it to 7.0…
flow… the tank has a flow diagonally in the back but then nowhere else as flow… i had an issue with my other tank with the black algae with too much flow…
the micro swords are at the right corner and the flow comes from top left
i use seachem trace (12mL/day) and flourish (4mL/day)… this is calculated from the dosing recommendations on the label… i changed the water once every two weeks
none of the other plants are affected by this algae... so i dont know why that is... ill post more pictures tomorrow when i'm home again
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (19/100%)

First, they don't make 120g tall tanks, they do make 110 talls though with the dimensions 48 7/8 x 19 x 30 3/4.

That said, I honestly I don't think 4*39w is enough in a 110g tall tank. 30 inches is very tall. You'd really need something like 4x54 watts T5 HO to properly light it.

The shabby condition of the plants is likely due to not having enough light for the plants to grow quickly and overcome the algae. The long photo period does not make up for a lack of light intensity.
Zapins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
mphan1985

do you happen to know if 54watt T5HO doesnt come in 36"?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

All T5HO lights put out the same light. Its just that the shorter ones use less wattage. If your bulbs are 39w, and 36" long, they are T5HO.

You didnt say how the bulbs are arranged. Two rows of 2 is different than 4 rows of 1.

I have 2 48" T5HO 33" about the substrate and I get medium light.

Three things concern me:
1. CO2 being on the same hours as the light. It should turn on before the lights to allow for levels to rise before lights turn on.
2. Lack of dosing for major nutrients.
3.It appears you're using a pH controller for the CO2? You mention adjusting pH to 7 with CO2. You really need to know what the pH is beforehand and then shoot for somewhere around a 1 point drop with the controller. Thats just a rough rule of thumb though. And I'd make sure its a new well calibrated pH probe. Old probes tend to give bad readings. Unless you're using chemicals to adjust pH. Then just stop doing that. There's no reason to.

So I'd say its a nutrient and CO2 issue and not lighting.
dmagerl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphan1985 View Post
do you happen to know if 54watt T5HO doesnt come in 36"?
Unfortunately they do not, 54w bulb are 4 feet long. Why do you want a 3 ft light fixture? The tank should be 4 feet long if it is a 110 tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
Three things concern me:
1. CO2 being on the same hours as the light. It should turn on before the lights to allow for levels to rise before lights turn on.
2. Lack of dosing for major nutrients.

So I'd say its a nutrient and CO2 issue and not lighting.
These are great points. It is certainly possible the plants have some sort of nutrient deficiency. Unfortunately this particular species is not a good indicator plant for most nutrient issues (except for iron deficiency which the plants do not have). Without seeing signs of problems in the other plants (particularly broad leafy stem plants) it is impossible to say if it is a lack of nutrients.

If the other taller plants are growing normally, then it is unlikely to be nutrients. But if there are damaged sections then you should post close up photos of the damage so we can see what it might be.

I do find it strange that 4x39w T5HO do not produce enough light to grow the micro swords. It might not be perfect lighting, but one would think it at least reaches the bare minimum, even in such a deep tank and with a 3ft fixture on a 4 ft tank.

I think the cheapest way to figure out this problem is to post more photos of your other stem plants, then start dosing macros as dmagerl suggested wait a week and see if the plants are responding with new growth. If not then it is likely the lights.

I still think it looks like lighting problems due to the color/shape of the plants. They aren't really growing at all from the looks of the picture and few deficiencies outright stop plant growth in its tracks like that. A lack of light on the other hand does cause plants to halt their growth.

How far above the tank are the lights positioned? Are they resting on the rim or elevated?

What brand of lighting are you using and are there individual reflectors around each bulb?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #10
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Something else, and it might explain why only the micro swords arent growing well, I've heard it said many times that swords are root feeders and they should be provided with root taps instead of water column dosing.

I dont know if micro swords follow this same rule or not but it wouldnt hurt to try some root tabs.
dmagerl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #11
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

Root tabs probably wouldn't hurt, but they aren't necessary to grow swords or micro swords. If the micro swords aren't growing because of a nutrient deficiency, then you'd expect other plants in the same tank water to show signs of deficiencies. If there are no other signs of bad growth in the tank except the micro swords then there is no deficiency and root tabs will not help.

Again, we'd need to see photos of the stem plants to see if there are deficiency signs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.