my first drft wood..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

my first drft wood..

What do you guys think? On the upright one I'm going to drill holes and use bamboo skewers to make a tree affect. I cut grooves into the leaning tree trunk to help the moss attach its self before attaching I'll take a piece of sand paper or something and rough up the top a bit to help as well... anyone have ideas or think something is wrong??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140218_165449_541_zpsywssph7e.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	276682  

Name:	IMG_20140218_160253_580_zpslbpe7nsc.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	276690  

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cool idea. I like the look but feel like you are maybe putting too much thought in to it. Moss will attach to substrate, it will attach to wood.

Are you creating the Y shape for an aesthetic reason or to create hiding places for some creatures?
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
Cool idea. I like the look but feel like you are maybe putting too much thought in to it. Moss will attach to substrate, it will attach to wood.

Are you creating the Y shape for an aesthetic reason or to create hiding places for some creatures?
kinda both really i like the look of perhaps a tree having fell unto another tree and the bigger holding up and supporting its fallen neighbor

after the moss grows in i think it will look pretty awesome the reason for the grooves is because this drift wood has been in the local lake for who knows how long its from a much much larger tree lol but the down side is its very very smooth... so i cut some grooves to help out and i was kinda bored tbh
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default hmm

so from what i have read this much moss on my drift wood should spread before to long... and im guessing my drift wood will become water logged soon i hope...?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140219_025219_098.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	276898  

Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

With the cut edges, no branches and lack of texture, I think it is not too exciting. I'd keep looking for something more natural.
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

The cut edges will be covered on the bottom 2 by substrate... the top will be covered by moss once I get my skewers. I don't have any lps around where I live and the Petco that's here charges $30 for a small 6 inch piece of wood. I'll end up finding better pieces later on I'm sure and I'll end up changing the scape again.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not an artist so I stay away from advise on that part. If you like it that is what counts.

But since you seem to be an active tool type guy, there might be a way to make sure it sinks quick. If you have a drill and some bits handy, it might speed it a whole bunch to drill up into the bottom of each section and stuff it with gravel. Inert gravel like the brown creek gravel? Sealed in the wood with silicone makes it an instant sinker.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

I don't know if it would help much for your piece, but a good way to hide cut edges is to burn the piece with a torch, and scrub the char off with a brush (do this outside...)

It takes off the rough edges, and brings out the grain, and looks less obviously human-altered.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default :d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I'm not an artist so I stay away from advise on that part. If you like it that is what counts.

But since you seem to be an active tool type guy, there might be a way to make sure it sinks quick. If you have a drill and some bits handy, it might speed it a whole bunch to drill up into the bottom of each section and stuff it with gravel. Inert gravel like the brown creek gravel? Sealed in the wood with silicone makes it an instant sinker.
Ur idea worked awesomely well... I grinded up some small aquarium gravel and packed it into the hollowed out bottom and the top too sealed it in with silicone
Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default thanks for the tip..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I don't know if it would help much for your piece, but a good way to hide cut edges is to burn the piece with a torch, and scrub the char off with a brush (do this outside...)

It takes off the rough edges, and brings out the grain, and looks less obviously human-altered.
Well like I said ima bury the cut edge on the bottom of the leaning "tree trunk" looking one and the upright one will be standing on one end and the other end will be covered with moss after I attach some branches... I'm going to use bamboo skewers.... drill a small hole the same size as the skewer, cut the skewer to length and shove it into the hole put a tiny bit of super glue around the hole (if you think its too loose a fit) and cover with moss...
Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #11
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

A work in progress is hard to get across to somebody else. It's all still up their in your head where other people have a hard time seeing it!
Sometimes you just have to keep going to see what turns up.

PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #12
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
A work in progress is hard to get across to somebody else. It's all still up their in your head where other people have a hard time seeing it!
Sometimes you just have to keep going to see what turns up.

A lot of people just skim what you write instead of reading it...