SMD LEDs and 40B question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

SMD LEDs and 40B question

Can someone check with me and help ne make sure that the lighting choice I am looking at will be good enough for a Med/Low light 10gal planted tank...

I want to go with led strips because of the low profile, these strips specs are as follows:
50/50 SMD Leds- 12V DC power- Epistar brand beads...

Some quick math:
14 lumens & 0.2watts per led bead; 36 beads in each 50cm/19.68" strip... This translates to:
504 lumens & 7.4 watts per strip x 5 strips; = 2520 lumens tottal & 35 watts tottal power.
So thats 3.5watts per gallon and 252 lumens per gallon...

Currently my 10gal is lightly planted with several types of low light plants, the sand is 2" deep and the tottal waters depth is just 10"...

So how well will this lighting work for a med/low light tank that will be heavly planted???

Last edited by boxboy; 02-19-2014 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: edit
boxboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ummm, is this really that hard of a question to assist with? Weak!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Bryk
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy View Post
Ummm, is this really that hard of a question to assist with? Weak!
Um just to point out, it is a lot harder than you make it out to be. I'm not going to look up your LED strip you are trying to use, but if you are thinking 5 of any strip is going to get you only medium/low then you need to consider using something a bit stronger.

I'm not sure how expensive your strips are, so I'm not sure if that is your concern.

Essentially even with 5 of a strip, it isn't as simple as giving you a calculated PAR value based on things we simply do not know.

These include, are you looking for medium/low PAR at substrate level, I assume? How much substrate are you using. You mention 10G, is it the standard: 20" long x 10" wide x 12" tall.?

Next, where are you putting these strips? Resting on the hood/glass lid, all centered next to each other in the center? Do you care about the corners or only directly below.

Take it you don't realize that it isn't a single computation to get the answer you are looking for.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tottal water depth from sand to top is 10" in my 10gal, due to sand.
I understand this is a edu guess at best...
med/low light at sand level yes, sand is 2" deep.
The light will be flush with the tanks rim...

I have already ordered the lights, 5pcs, 5050 smd leds, 3pcs 6500k and 2pcs 7000k. each strip is 50cm, 600ma, 7.5watts, 120 beam angle, comes with U shape aluminum housing for heat trasnfer. 12V DC power supply... Each strip is 500lm, so I figure at worst 5 strips will be plenty, providing that all other requirments are meet to keep plants happy
Thank for your responce
Old 12-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

It should be possible to develop a relationship between lumens, spread out over the top of a tank vs. PAR at some specific distance, but I haven't tried to do it. You would need to do some actual experiments to be at all sure that you had figured it out correctly, and I don't have any of those strips, let alone enough to spread out over a tank. Maybe someone will be curious enough, and have the strips in hand, to try to do this.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Deano85
Algae Grower

I tried your setup into hoppy's par calculator and assumed the lights will be about 2" off the water. I'm not sure if his calculator works on every led setup or even if I did it right? The results are 82 par at the substrate.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5050smd par.pdf (4.7 KB, 27 views)
Deano85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
I tried your setup into hoppy's par calculator and assumed the lights will be about 2" off the water. I'm not sure if his calculator works on every led setup or even if I did it right? The results are 82 par at the substrate.

Hey, this is awsome. where is this calulator thing?
Each strip of leds had 36 leds in it. I notced that the pdf showed just 3leds per strip?
36 leds per strip x5 strips at 14lm each led and 7.5watts each strip.
besids all that is 85lm at sand level even good?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Deano85
Algae Grower

I just used the first calculation, the last 2 are the the default numbers. Again im not sure if the calculations are correct or valid, wait for hoppy.

82 at the substrate is very high light imo (too high). I think you will run into algae problems. Low light is around 20ish and medium 40ish.

Link to hoppy's calculator http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...47&postcount=8
Deano85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thats awsome I will just use less strips I guess haha. I caint for the life of my able to use this calulator thing on my phone
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: Im using 3pcs led strips from ebay and plants are doing well. So Im happy to have spent only $20.00 for good med light output on a 10gal planted tank
Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #11
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

for the 40B I just got, do you believe 4 strips would be low/med/high light as per specs below:

50/50 SMD Leds- 12V DC power- Epistar brand beads...

Some quick math:
14 lumens & 0.2watts per led bead; 36 beads in each 50cm/19.68" strip... This translates to:
504 lumens & 7.4 watts per strip x 4 strips; = 2016 lumens tottal & 29.6 watts tottal power.
So thats 3.5watts per gallon and 252 lumens per gallon...

Also used a LUX meter app on my phone, it says I got 5000 lux???
Old 02-19-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

An actual measurement of the light intensity beats any calculation. You measured 5000 lux, and the conversion factor for lux to PAR is around 78, so, based on that you have around 65 PAR, at the location where you measured the light. If that is at the top of the substrate, then you have high medium light, perhaps high light. You will need to use pressurized CO2 to use that much light. But, if you measured it closer to the light than at the top of the substrate, you will have less light, possibly much less. I'm assuming you measured the light that you are using on the 10 gallon tank?

I have data for 5630 LEDs, which produce about 30 lumens per LED. Based on that, and assuming you have 2 inches of substrate, with the light right at the top of the tank - 15 inches from the substrate, you should have about 20-25 PAR, which is low light. Your light is about 20 inches long, and the tank is 36 inches long, so only the center 2/3 of the tank will get enough light.

Based on your measured 5000 lux, assuming that is with the 10 gallon tank, at the substrate, we can estimate what you would get on the 40B. Assuming you use 4 strips instead of the 3 strips you used on the 10 gallon, and each strip is actually 2-50 cm strips in a single row, or 8 total strips:
You would get about 4/3 times 5000 lux, to account for more strips. But, at a distance of 15 inches instead of 10 inches: 25/40 times 4/3 times 5000 lux = 4200 lux, or about 50-55 PAR, which is medium light. But, the longer strips (twice as long) also increase the light intensity, perhaps by a factor of 1.5, so that would give you about 75 PAR, or high light.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #13
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
An actual measurement of the light intensity beats any calculation. You measured 5000 lux, and the conversion factor for lux to PAR is around 78, so, based on that you have around 65 PAR, at the location where you measured the light. If that is at the top of the substrate, then you have high medium light, perhaps high light. You will need to use pressurized CO2 to use that much light. But, if you measured it closer to the light than at the top of the substrate, you will have less light, possibly much less. I'm assuming you measured the light that you are using on the 10 gallon tank?

I have data for 5630 LEDs, which produce about 30 lumens per LED. Based on that, and assuming you have 2 inches of substrate, with the light right at the top of the tank - 15 inches from the substrate, you should have about 20-25 PAR, which is low light. Your light is about 20 inches long, and the tank is 36 inches long, so only the center 2/3 of the tank will get enough light.

Based on your measured 5000 lux, assuming that is with the 10 gallon tank, at the substrate, we can estimate what you would get on the 40B. Assuming you use 4 strips instead of the 3 strips you used on the 10 gallon, and each strip is actually 2-50 cm strips in a single row, or 8 total strips:
You would get about 4/3 times 5000 lux, to account for more strips. But, at a distance of 15 inches instead of 10 inches: 25/40 times 4/3 times 5000 lux = 4200 lux, or about 50-55 PAR, which is medium light. But, the longer strips (twice as long) also increase the light intensity, perhaps by a factor of 1.5, so that would give you about 75 PAR, or high light.
Hoppy:

Thanks for your answer... I had the LUX Meter on the bottom of 40gallon since its empty right now... The 10gal currently uses just 2 of the strips because when I had 3 it was causing some alega issues. I only plan to have plants on half of the tank anyways, so if I use 4 strips on half the tank I would be getting closer to high light? I do have EI ferts and DIY co2 ready to use when needed. So far to reach my goal of low/med light would to use just 3 strips and EI+co2 in small amounts and see how things go and adjust if nessarry...
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

The best determination of how much light you get with the 4 strips is your lux measurement. So, assuming your app for measuring lux is a good one, you should have about 65 PAR. That is enough light that you do need both CO2 and some fertilizing. One problem with DIY CO2 is that it is almost impossible to maintain the same concentration of CO2 from day to day. The yeast solution just doesn't produce a constant amount of CO2. And, that fluctuation in CO2 usually leads to black brush algae starting to grow. Maybe if you also dose Excel you could get by with DIY CO2.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks hoppy. Looks like I will need a co2 tank.. I was looking before for a 2.5lbs tank, so hard to find a good price on one and ships to canada..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The best determination of how much light you get with the 4 strips is your lux measurement. So, assuming your app for measuring lux is a good one, you should have about 65 PAR. That is enough light that you do need both CO2 and some fertilizing. One problem with DIY CO2 is that it is almost impossible to maintain the same concentration of CO2 from day to day. The yeast solution just doesn't produce a constant amount of CO2. And, that fluctuation in CO2 usually leads to black brush algae starting to grow. Maybe if you also dose Excel you could get by with DIY CO2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.