How to make DIY root fertilizer tablets with clay - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #46
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
How badly does the clay stain hands and nails? My other obsession is my nails. Honestly, I'd rather spend the money on root tabs than end up with stained nails. (I mean OPI has two new collections out!) I tried rolling out the clay, but that was not working at all. I ended up adding some water and mixing everything up while wearing gloves. It'd be so much easier if I could just get in there with my hands.
Oh my now that's a predicament you have. I know how much money my wife spends getting her nails done so I guess I can understand. It's pretty messy making these and does take some scrubbing to get it all off but I'm not as picky about my nails as I'm sure you are. I have a whole jar of these I made awhile ago but don't need them for now since I switched to Aquasoil.

By the way is it bad that I know what OPI is?
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #47
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
How badly does the clay stain hands and nails? My other obsession is my nails. Honestly, I'd rather spend the money on root tabs than end up with stained nails. (I mean OPI has two new collections out!) I tried rolling out the clay, but that was not working at all. I ended up adding some water and mixing everything up while wearing gloves. It'd be so much easier if I could just get in there with my hands.
It gets pretty messy. I had to move my clay rolling outside to avoid messing up my dining room table. But soap and water will clean your hands just fine.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #48
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Oh my now that's a predicament you have. I know how much money my wife spends getting her nails done so I guess I can understand. It's pretty messy making these and does take some scrubbing to get it all off but I'm not as picky about my nails as I'm sure you are. I have a whole jar of these I made awhile ago but don't need them for now since I switched to Aquasoil.

By the way is it bad that I know what OPI is?
No, no, that's a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
It gets pretty messy. I had to move my clay rolling outside to avoid messing up my dining room table. But soap and water will clean your hands just fine.
When you have to move the project outside that's a good sign it's going to be messy. I am planning on trying to roll them into balls or cut them into strips tonight. I let it sit in a bowl over night to let some of the water evaporate. I had to add water to be able to mix it. I'm thinking I'll stick with the gloves even though they make it very difficult.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 AM   #49
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well, I rolled the clay mixture into little balls and they're drying on waxed paper. In case anyone is wondering, nails are fine. It does, in fact, wash right off.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #50
Jalopy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
I made some of these last weekend and ended up with a ton of them. I'm also doing a little experimenting and in about half of them I put Kelp meal in instead of the dry ferts to see how that works. I asked about using kelp meal quite awhile back and never got a definitive answer and upon searching the web I didn't find much about anyone trying this except for a thread from 2007 on APC and never really found out any results. So I guess my tank will be the guinea pig. I put them in last week and haven't seen any negative effects yet.
How did the kelp meal work out? Pictures?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #51
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
How did the kelp meal work out? Pictures?
I never noticed any adverse affects nor did I notice any great improvement with using the kelp meal. I still have quite a few root tabs that I never used.

This is the kelp meal I used.

http://drearth.net/products/single-i...-meal-6-5-2-5/

I use it in all my flower pots in my garden and it works very well.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 09-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #52
Jalopy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
I never noticed any adverse affects nor did I notice any great improvement with using the kelp meal. I still have quite a few root tabs that I never used.

This is the kelp meal I used.

http://drearth.net/products/single-i...-meal-6-5-2-5/

I use it in all my flower pots in my garden and it works very well.
Did it at least reduce the amount of micros you had to dose on a regular basis?
Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #53
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
Did it at least reduce the amount of micros you had to dose on a regular basis?
I didn't change my dosing routine while I used them. I didn't put a lot of kelp meal in the tabs because I wasn't sure what to expect. I was wanting to see if the vitamins and minerals had any benefits. But without setting up a real test using it I can't say for sure if there's any benefits or negative effects.

Tags
diy roottabs, fert tab, fertilizer tablets, root tabs