New Guy! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynrem View Post
Just for a little more info (and maybe confusion) you can look at each ones website

Eco-Complete

Flourite

That's very helpful, not sure why I didn't think to do that

I'm just trying to really figure out what's what. I thought all the stuff was bagged fluorite, but under different names. That would be wrong though. The LPS has this on stock, wonder how well it holds up...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
BonsaiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #17
Lynrem
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Flora Max is made by the same company as Eco-complete so you can find info on Flora Max on the same website. I actually start my tank with a mix of Flora Max (Midnight) and pea gravel - before getting info on this site.

I had trouble getting plants to hold in the pea gravel to root so I wanted to get more of the Flora Max to cap for planting, but my Petsmart was out of the black. I ended up getting Flourite black. Visually I can't tell the difference between the Flora Max Midnight and the Flourite Black
Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #18
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Quick question; I found a heater, but it's a bit large and I'm afraid that it'd take up too much room in my tank. I plan on having some Dwarf African Frogs once the tank has established itself.

I found this heater:

But, as I said, it's a bit large. Think this one has enough power?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 AM   #19
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

Welcome BonsaiGuy!

If you keep your house around 70 degrees F, then the second heater probably has enough power. Of course some fish and plants are more tolerant of low temperatures than others.

I have only been in the planted tank hobby for a few years. Most of what I've learned has been from this site. I've found it very useful to browse the subforums by selecting to view the threads that have the highest number of views, as many of these are very informative and used by many members as references. A trick that I learned about a year ago is, when using Google, to use the search string
site:plantedtank.net
followed by whatever key words you want to know more about.

site:plantedtank.net eco-complete fluorite - returns several informative threads comparing these two substrates.

Of course, the site: search string will work for other URLs as well.

Good luck in a great hobby!

p.s. I may need to pick your brain about bonsai sometime...
The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

"
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught
." Baba Dioum

Triple-filtered Paludarium

Last edited by Method; 02-15-2014 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: yo
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #20
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Welcome BonsaiGuy!

If you keep your house around 70 degrees F, then the second heater probably has enough power. Of course some fish and plants are more tolerant of low temperatures than others.

I have only been in the planted tank hobby for a few years. Most of what I've learned has been from this site. I've found it very useful to browse the subforums by selecting to view the threads that have the highest number of views, as many of these are very informative and used by many members as references. A trick that I learned about a year ago is, when using Google, to use the search string
site:plantedtank.net
followed by whatever key words you want to know more about.

site:plantedtank.net eco-complete fluorite - returns several informative threads comparing these two substrates.

Of course, the site: search string will work for other URLs as well.

Good luck in a great hobby!

p.s. I may need to pick your brain about bonsai sometime...
I was thinking actually if I did even need a heater if the house is heated. We'll see this weekend when I get it all set up, but you're probably right in saying I won't.

So far this is a great forum with lots of excellent information. Thanks for the tip about searching, that makes things so much easier.

Feel free to pick my brain about bonsai, I'm actually selling most of them to make way for this hobby. You live fairly nearby, I'm in the Fairfax area.