Planning low tech 55 and it's time to decide on filters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Argusi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Planning low tech 55 and it's time to decide on filters

Filters are big on my mind right now and I think that's what I'm buying for the 55 next. So here are my choices:

Either a Aquaclear 110 (500gph) or 70 (300gph). I lean toward the 110 because more is better and it follows double the gallons rule?

OR

Sunsun 303B (370gph 3 trays) or 304B.(525gph 4 trays), both with UV for emergencies.

If I get an Aquaclear I'm thinking ditch the charcoal unless I need it. Use the sponge that comes with it and 2 ceramic ring packets or Substrat Pro.

If I get the Sunsun, first tray will be 3 grades of sponge/mech filter, second will be maybe that floss stuff for fine filtering and the third filled with EHEIM Substrat Pro. If I get the one with the extra tray, I'll leave it empty and only use it if I need charcoal for some reason.

Would this work? Would the bigger filters be overkill? If I am not doing plants, I always double the recommended filter size. Not sure that's valid for planted tanks. Also, I have a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 for mixing it up also.

Anyways, looking forward to your input!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Owlshead19
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have two eheims - a 2217 and a 2215 on my 75 and I'm really happy with them - crazy quiet

29 Reef - 75 Planted Tank in the Works
Owlshead19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
wpgfish
Planted Member

I currently have a ac 70 on my 55 and it seems to do a great job, the 110 I think you would need to set the flow as low as it goes or you would have some crazy turbulence coming off the front glass that is if it is a standard 55
wpgfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Argusi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfish View Post
I currently have a ac 70 on my 55 and it seems to do a great job, the 110 I think you would need to set the flow as low as it goes or you would have some crazy turbulence coming off the front glass that is if it is a standard 55
Thanks, Owlshead19 and wpgfish. That's kind of what I was thinking. The largest I've had up to this point was a 30 and it wasn't planted. I've read some people have used the AC 110 and are happy with it. Maybe I'll go for the ones around 300 gph. I eventually want 2 filters on there, just for grins and fault tolerance. I'm just not sure how much different the filter requirements and gph rates are between regular and planted. Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
wpgfish
Planted Member

honestly if you want 2 filters id go with 2 ac 50 and control your flow yourself, id fill one with just sponges and ceramic rings and the other with a sponge and filter floss or occasionally carbon
wpgfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
Argusi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfish View Post
honestly if you want 2 filters id go with 2 ac 50 and control your flow yourself, id fill one with just sponges and ceramic rings and the other with a sponge and filter floss or occasionally carbon
I originally was thinking of putting 2 AC 70's on there, but I wanted to try a canister because I've never had one. It is more for the experience. I have had AC filters before and love them, that's really the only reason I eventually want both. I suppose, if I got the smaller of each, the total would be plenty and satisfy my curiosity.

Yeah, I know I'm a strange one. Thanks! I think I know what I want to do now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.