CO2 bubble lift
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
AquaJedi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 bubble lift

Want to keep the amount of equipment need to run a low tech system out of the tank and so was wondering if anyone out there uses the bubbles from an in-tank CO2 ceramic diffuser to create water movement in a small tank. I remember from older technology the use of air lift tubes on under gravel filters to move water thru the gravel. Has anybody used this principle to create a gentle circulation pattern and move dissolved CO2 throughout the tank? I know that DIY CO2 will probably not be able to provide the pressure needed to run a ceramic diffuser so, will probably have to go with a paintball set-up. Anyone with this kind of pressurized CO2 system?
AquaJedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
AquaJedi
Algae Grower

Nobody has done this? Maybe I should post this thread in the Equipment forum?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Air lifts need relatively large bubbles, so the move fast up through the water. CO2 diffusing into the water requires the smallest possible bubbles, so they move slowly up in the water, and have a very high surface to volume ratio. The dual use of CO2 would do neither job very well.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Air lifts need relatively large bubbles, so the move fast up through the water. CO2 diffusing into the water requires the smallest possible bubbles, so they move slowly up in the water, and have a very high surface to volume ratio. The dual use of CO2 would do neither job very well.

Thanks Hoppy. Didn't really want to move large volumes of water, just want to distribute CO2 to the other side of a Mini S tank (approx 12" wide so, 13-14" dia.). In your expert opinion, do you think that an in-tank ceramic diffuser would provide the circulation needed to supply sufficient CO2 to HC on the other side of this small tank? Mahalo & really appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Oops

Sorry AquaJedi for hijacking your thread. I'm actually thinking of doing this and was waiting for a response. When I finally flood my tank, I'll let you know how it goes. Your from HI too!
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks

Last edited by BeastMaster; 02-18-2014 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: missing signature
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
AquaJedi
Algae Grower

It's cool BeastMaster, no harm, no foul. Better your response than none at all. Good luck with your tank. Also, thank you Hoppy for chiming in, would love to hear your comments on this topic.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

From what I experience with any of my ceramic diffusers - either glass, steel, or acrylic, the bubbles would just slowly drift to the surface with no current in the tank. I understand what you're trying to achieve, but using co2 diffusion to circulate will not work as effectively as compared to air pumps.
In my 12x12" cube I run a canister just to move the co2, so I'd strongly recommend a small pump atleast.
Default is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.