Why a lighting question in the low tech section ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Why a lighting question in the low tech section ?

Well because you guy's are more dependant on having the right stuff
than the high tech section in some cases.
I've had generic bulbs in my fixture since buying it and am not satisfied by any but the cost aspect of them. Having recently bought a true lumen Flora bulb and seen the difference in the color it does in my tank,
I've just found something, and ordered it, that I've been looking for.
Seems for some reason 18" bulbs in T5 are few and far between accept for actinic for some reason(go figure) but then I found an Aquatic Life
in a 650nm bulb.
So my basic question I guess is have you had good results from that brand of bulbs in color/plant growth ? Just the brand, not my color choice.
And the second question would be something that I'm experimenting with on this one. Is the added 650nm spectrum going to be better for the plants than the rest of the spectrum that I'll loose when I remove the other bulb ?

Last edited by Raymond S.; 02-15-2014 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: second question
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
Bluebugs
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a ten gallon with generic walmart hood (first tank). I found marine land 10w cfl at petsmart (even says plants & fish on the box). They are 11 a piece, but it has made quite the difference.

Now all my other tanks are open-topped with clamp-on light from the hardware store. Get some 6500k or over cfls and you're good. My 20 gallon is exploding with growth with just 2 of these.
Bluebugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.