Free BN plecos / Assassin Snails - Pickup Only, Elgin
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Free BN plecos / Assassin Snails - Pickup Only, Elgin

The time has come - my latest batch of BN fry have hit the one to two inch milestone and are ready to be safely re-homed.

Variety of albino and brown, black and mottled BN plecos are available. Sexing is not yet possible because the fish are still immature.

The fish all readily accept any sinking or submerged vegetable at this point, as well as any sinking pellet or wafer. They are typically skittish in regards to sudden movement, but are not light-shy and will swim and feed at all times of day.

Also available are a quantity of assassin snails from the same tank. They reproduce easily, in my experience, and will eat just about any source of protein they can find - snails, sinking pellets, detritus worms and any deceased fish.

Pickup available in Elgin (off 31, near ramps for both 90 and 20) after 7:30pm on weekdays or most anytime on weekends.

Fish and snails are free to anyone willing to offer them a good home. Just send a PM and we'll work out a date/time.
SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

Handed out a dozen fish this weekend, but there's plenty more - this offer still stands to anyone that might be interested.
SunSun Pimp #86
Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

How big are the adults? I'm starting to gather & grow out fry that will go into a 150g a. horse trough pond this coming spring. Did you cross breed albinos to brown?
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
How big are the adults? I'm starting to gather & grow out fry that will go into a 150g a. horse trough pond this coming spring. Did you cross breed albinos to brown?
Papa is around 4 inches, flared. Mom is three, possibly three and a half inches. Both were LFS "brown" BNs - They mottle-up quite a bit when they flare or stress, but I didn't even stop to think that they're likely just brown offspring from a mixed pair until after the hatch.

They've produced a roughly 50/50 albino/brown mix. Since albinism is recessive, I'd assume they had multiple albino ancestors in the line.

I couldn't even begin to tell you just how many I have left. I didn't have a bare-bottom tank in place, so I relocated all but dad and the fry and I've been removing gravel (thank god, no dirt) from the tank at the rate of a net full per cleaning. There's a big hunk of mopani in the tank that they hide in, on and under, so they're never all out and about at once.

The goal is to rehome the fry, move pops into the 46 with mom, keep one of the albinos, and then break down the tank they're currently in.
SunSun Pimp #86
Old 02-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

I'd be willing to take what you have left. What ever survives through the summer in the pond, I'd offer to the Illinois forum members next fall, free to good home.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got a member coming by tonight to grab a couple, and another member that is supposed to come by on Sunday for a couple, as well.

Anything beyond that, you're welcome to. Just let me know when is good for you and we'll make arrangements.
SunSun Pimp #86
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PM sent
Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

Final update - still have around 10 plecos left, ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 inches, both brown/mottled and albino.

Assassins have bred again, as well, so I've got a few more of those ready to go.

The plecos will end up traded in to the local petco in a couple of weeks, unless they've been re-homed. These fish are healthy, active and well fed - if anyone is considering a bristlenose, you'll do well to grab one or more of these guys rather than trying your luck with a lfs.
SunSun Pimp #86
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Absolut Talent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If i had my 33L set up, I would totally grab one. But its still a ways off.

Will you have more in the future?
Absolut Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut Talent View Post
If i had my 33L set up, I would totally grab one. But its still a ways off.

Will you have more in the future?
Knowing my luck - probably, lol.
SunSun Pimp #86
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
Beardie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'll take one. My clown is a lazy wood eating bastard and I'm starting to get some haze on the front glass. I've never had a bristlenose, but I assume they're algae eaters as opposed to wood. I'd prefer the mottled but whatever you have works for me. PM your availability for next week/weekend. I'll be busy this weekend but my schedule is open after that as of now.

EDIT: Also if you still have some assassin snails I would love to have a few.

Last edited by Beardie; 03-06-2014 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: Addition
Beardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PM'd
SunSun Pimp #86