SNEAK PREVIEW: You want dimmer, timmer, 24/7cycle, & higher power functionality? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Controller separate from the light fixture would be best. I'm not a fan of these "all in one" fixtures. One single controller should be able to control multiple light fixtures.
Sell the light fixtures separately and offer the controller separately. It would also make it easier to swallow the expected high cost (would allow me to buy the lights and then add the controller at a later date). I get afraid to drop $300-$500 on a single fixture. If one part of it fails, it is all a waste. I'd feel more comfortable knowing I'd only have to replace a single light fixture or the controller.
PlantedTankRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
MJPease
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just ordered a Ray 2 a few days ago have not received it yet. I'm replacing a Current Satellite + that is all bells and whistles and not quite up to snuff for my planted tank. I thought I saw it listed as appropriate for plants Ooops. So I bought the Marineland red accent hidden light to assist with it's 660nm reds. So since then I've learned much more about LED Thanks to this site and it has led me to Finnex and other more appropriate sources of LED lighting. I have 180.00 in what amounts to inadequate purchases in lighting for my 10gal planted tank. The Finnex Ray2 was around 70.00. Live and learn. I won't make any jumps into Co2 with out first doing finishing my plantedtank.net homework Thanks and Take Care
MJPease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryk View Post
I think we all collectively got trolled here, I own 6 planted+ fixtures, 1 fugeray, 1 ray2, 1 monster ray, and 2 fugerayRs (gave one to bro).
Enjoy the lights! The power house versions won't be available for a few months now. They are not even in mass production atm as we are still juggling features to add and remove in order to get the unit at a friendly price point without sacrificing performance that you all have come accustom to with our company.

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
I liked that all Finnex lamps were stackable.

Will the new ones continue with this awesome easter egg capability?
We are trying to incorporate the majority with it

Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankRookie View Post
I get afraid to drop $300-$500 on a single fixture. If one part of it fails, it is all a waste.
For the power house fixture, we're working vigorously to keep costs as close to the RAY2 as possible without sacrificing too many bells and whistles. No need to break the bank for these

Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #21
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
Originally Posted by core212 View Post

WAAAANT!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #22
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

well I haven't been afraid to spend $$ on Ray 2s (I have eleven!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
For the power house fixture, we're working vigorously to keep costs as close to the RAY2 as possible without sacrificing too many bells and whistles. No need to break the bank for these
PlantedTankRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #23
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I feel your pain, thats why I asked, I have 3 Ray2s and 3 Fugerays....Seeing as how I they are supposed to last a long time I wont be replacing them anytime soon sooooooo this kinda sucks

Quote:
I think we all collectively got trolled here, I own 6 planted+ fixtures, 1 fugeray, 1 ray2, 1 monster ray, and 2 fugerayRs (gave one to bro).

Can't make these features available on a light controller/dimmer? So rough.

I'm waiting to see the price. If it competes with BML at a lower value then it will definitely draw a lot of interest. Currently I've found I would have to do a lot of managing of fixtures to get light exactly how I would want it.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #24
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Finnex,

I appreciate you listening to us and coming out with products that fit our needs. Obviously the benefits are mutual, but you and your competitors have had some great products recently and they are just getting better, quicker.
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Bryk
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I know what you guys are aiming to do here, however I feel you will be directly competing with buildmyled with this new feature/fixture, and they are steps ahead of you with having the separate controller coming out shortly. Obviously the R&D has been spent and it will be a wonderful fixture I'm sure, however you should play to your strengths going forward.

Excellent PAR for a given $ price, and many options. You already have 4 solid fixtures for respectable PAR/spectrum coverage. If higher PAR is desired by users, multiple fixtures can be used together.

I feel you are missing just one item to solidify your niche. An inline inexpensive controller cheaper than buildmyLEDs was/is the perfect direction to head to. It doesn't have to be a full controller, but just an LED controller that works for multiple fixtures doing dimming and ramp ups/downs.

For instance I have a custom 100G super long coming in the next few weeks, 90"x14"x18"s. I will be using 2 48" planted+, and 2 36" planted+. What I want to be able to do is have a really long photoperiod (IE 15 hours)[want this for all of my tanks]. I want the first 6 and last 6 hours to do ramping. Leaving the middle 3ish hours or so at 100% for the fixtures.

I do admire adding a more powerful fixture, as that is needed as well, but adding non-backwards compatible features is just hurting yourself. Sometimes people just want low/medium light or a precise amount with a certain overall tank coverage. With your wide LED lens that you use for your fixtures users get decent coverage. The amount of power/heat to go higher power just isn't going to work well with a wide beam lens.

For instance I was forced to go with 2 buildMyLED fixtures for my 36"x24"x36" 135G cube. I know this tank is an "outlier", but still I went with 2 of their newest fixtures that have the extra boost (40ish%), and went with 60 degree lens on one fixture and 75 degree on the other fixture. (I do use a 36" planted" centered for again, coverage).

I feel most individuals don't mind additional fixtures if they want stronger light, as long as the price is right and it does what they want. Sure sometimes there is the space issue, such as with the 37G where I can only fit 2 of your fixtures (ray2 and planted+).

However I do appreciate the effort you guys are putting and have to try to get to this point, you just should play to your strengths more.

Current is finally getting the PAR to compete with their newer fixtures, however they were focusing on a crazy remote feature, instead of PAR.

BuildMyLED and the top brands all have a crazy $ tag, customization and power.

You have the PAR for the right $$$, just need to add the desired features of ramping and dimming into a controller that can handle multiple fixtures.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #26
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Agreed with Bryk as having 19 fixtures now, I would love to have a controler or 4 to do some ramping on these. As I do 6 hour light periods on my shrimp tanks and would love the first 2 and last 2 to be slowly increased and decressed with 2 hours at high.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #27
Bryk
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

If you guys want to more seriously enter the coral market it will be required anyway.

Anyone who isn't stuck up on having Cree would more likely give Finnex a try if you can get more universal coverage (multiple fixtures required?) and the dimming + sunrise/sunset feature.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #28
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
If you guys want to more seriously enter the coral market it will be required anyway.

Anyone who isn't stuck up on having Cree would more likely give Finnex a try if you can get more universal coverage (multiple fixtures required?) and the dimming + sunrise/sunset feature.
Super input! Your advice will be surely noted and taken in to consideration. If I may address a few things:

I don't want to get too far ahead and release too much information on this project but we have about 3 different fixtures we plan on releasing. As we could not incorporate the dimmer/timer option on the old fixtures without having users open up the fixture and splice wires, we decided to incorporate this fixture with an ADD ON to the new fixtures which would allow easy plug-n-play, all while keeping the unit itself at the lowest price possible. All 3 fixtures should fill a certain nitche. And when I mention higher powered fixture, rest assured you don't need to think higher price tag. We're doing our best to get a power house fixture as close to RAY2 pricing as possible . Stay tuned~

Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #29
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
I know what you guys are aiming to do here, however I feel you will be directly competing with buildmyled with this new feature/fixture, and they are steps ahead of you with having the separate controller coming out shortly. Obviously the R&D has been spent and it will be a wonderful fixture I'm sure, however you should play to your strengths going forward.
Well hopefully the controller we are fine tuning is up to par

Old 02-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Thanks Lowe, the promptness in taking action and the way Finnex listens to its customer is the reason why I have decided they will be the only fixture I use going forward.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
finnex, fugeray, led, preview, ray, ray2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.