170gal Humidiy Crib Planted Tub System
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Good Idea 3 100.00%
Bad Idea 0 0%
What have you been smoking dude 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
reddstagg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Okay guys down here in australia its a long weekend because of the grand prix and momba (waterskiing festival on our main river),

So ive been thinking alittle about my planted tanks, as you do on a long weekend, and i need somewhere to store my extra plants and breed fish and not have them on display.

Anyway, I made a trip down to bunnings (hardwarestore) to see what DIY things i could put together to solve this problem. Anyway while pottering around the isles, i found cheap AU$10 (US$5) 75 liter tubs.

I constructed an idea in my head...planted tubs, placed in the garage enclosed in a humidiy crib type thing.

This is the idea:
10 tubs. 2 rows of 5 (each row is a seperate system), i have 2 spare pumps which ill place in the 5th tub, of each row, and pump the water back to the base of the 1st tub, which will flow up (instead of down so i wont lose c02) through filter medium, then over flow to the next tub via a tub on the side to connect the tubs , so they flow one into the next. until it gets to the end tub.

i picked up 4 hydroponic fluro rigs acouple of months ago from an evidence auction at the local court (I wonder what the previous owner was growing :p). so i was going to throw them in above the tubs. And grow some water lettuce and water lillies in the back row and swords in the front row
And then the whole lot is enclosed in a polywood box painted the interia with white non-toxic marine paint (which i also have), place 4 perspec access flaps 2 per row and then.. mount the lights just outside the box, have them shining through the perspecs on the top of the box... this way i can place a space heater instead the box of heating the tubs i can heat the space around it also going to put some small exhust fans inside the tank to help circlate the heat.

Anyway seeing i have the expensive stuff already its going to cost about $50 for plywood piping perspecs.... and $100 for the tubs.

I know its not a planted tank... its alittle different and kooky but just wondering what your opinions of the idea are. I hope you guys have abit of an open mind lol.

Dean
reddstagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 12:04 AM   #2
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds cool. You gotta post some pics if you decide to set it all up.

Tony
Tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
mad about fish
Algae Grower

cool idea i have been thinking about indoor ponds for ages it would be nice to see some big swords and maybee some flowering lilys
mad about fish is offline   Reply With Quote