Speak up Nebraska - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Nebraska

Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #16
robinss

PTrader: (0/0%)

Speak up Nebraska

Thanks Artemas...I read once that the plants couldn't take the hardness. I am thinking I might buy LED...but the lighting talk is too much for me...

I am surprised at how few LFS are mentioned here in Omaha. We used to have more. Big box stores must be pushing them out.
robinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #17
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Welcome to TPT. There's a few Nebraskans on here but there's just not much for planted tank hobbyists to choose from in the LFS so this is where I get 99%!of my plants from. There use to be quite a few decent stores in the Omaha area but just like everywhere else the big box stores are pushing the out. If your old enough you might remember a store called The Fish Bowl that was in Omaha but that was many moons ago. If you haven't heard of it then that just shows how old I am. As for the hard water, that's not that big of an issue. You will be able to keep most of the plants except for a few that like lower kH. I solved that by switching to Aquasoil. Again welcome to the forum and its nice to see more fellow Nebraskans involved in this side of the hobby.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
artemis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinss View Post
Thanks Artemas...I read once that the plants couldn't take the hardness.
Naturally hard, alkaline water occurs in some lakes and streams, and plants grow in it. Plants, like fish, have evolved to fit nearly every niche. The trick is to find the plants that like your local water conditions.

Back when I was using 100% unsoftened tap water, I had great success with Amazon swords. Anubias species, Vallisneria, some Cryptocoryne species, Java moss, Java fern, many stem plants (especially water sprite), hornwort, frogbit, and (of course) duckweed. About the only thing I couldn't get to grow was Sagittara species. So don't worry, you'll have a lot of notices!

Quote:
I am surprised at how few LFS are mentioned here in Omaha. We used to have more. Big box stores must be pushing them out.
I'm afraid that's exactly what's happening - and all over the country, not just here in Omaha. Local fish stores have small margins, and the big box places pull too much needed business away.
artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
Hook Line & Sinker

Talking Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
Hi there fellow nebraskans.
Anyone in Lincoln?
Very Very Close.
Hook Line & Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #20
plantman25
Algae Grower

Default Omaha

Hi Im currently living right outside of Omaha, and am a planted tank enthuasist. I currently have 30+ species in my high tech 40 breeder. Would like to find some others to trade plants with. I also keep shrimp as well and am always looking for new stock. There is a new store in bellevue that just opened. The owners are awesome people and or stocking alot of planted tank supplies. They will also order just about anything you want. Fin-tastic fish is the name.
plantman25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #21
Zuzu
Algae Grower

Newbie here saying hello from GI. *waves*
Zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote