How many watts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

I have a 5.5 gallon (16x10x8") with a spot for two CF screw in bulbs. How many watts would I want for each bulb to get high light, but not much algae problems? I have a soil/sand/gravel substrate and I plan to add co2 and ferts.
Fosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to compulsion

from experience ive learnt its the Kelvin (colour of the bulb) that produces the type of plant growth... seeing as you have CF's you can get up to 4000k which i know off. depending on your ballasts..

im gonna be ordering 2x 55w 4000k bulbs and a dual ballast tomorow..

all the guys or most here will say stick with the higher K.
2500k = Warm red end of spectrum
3700k = Warm White middle of spectrum
4000k = Cool Blue end of spectrum

this isnt exact but its rought to how the place im ordering mine from catagorise them..

www.rswww.com sells lots of typoes of CF bulbs and ballasts
they also do overseas. check them out at all costs because its pretty cheap (for UK it is anyways)

let me know which type of ballast you have and i might be able to recommend some bulbs.. you should stick to the wattage close or just under the ballast wattage..

Co2 is allways needed but is only rightfully essential in a well lit tank.
dose with half of recommended ferts and gradualy increase till you see that the plants are OD'ing.. then drop a tad below that amount and keep that as your useual feeding scheme. works for me
KH kit is good to have if your useing co2
a good phosphorus testing kit... there will lie your algae prob if to many phosphates are present. its good to provide just enought fert for your plants so any algae present with have a lesser chance of kepping put.. a good cleaning crew of SAE's, plecs, shrimps and lots of em.

2 or 3 high feed plants to take any remaing ferts will also help keep algae low
and get a good defuser.. reactors are normaly for bigger tanks, i dont think there will be any harm in useing one but it saves on the pocket
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:22 AM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosty
I have a 5.5 gallon (16x10x8") with a spot for two CF screw in bulbs. How many watts would I want for each bulb to get high light, but not much algae problems? I have a soil/sand/gravel substrate and I plan to add co2 and ferts.
Hi Fosty,

I would recommend two of those:

available in Walmart for around $5 each. Should work great. There are also some available at LFS for around twice that cash.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

We don't have a Walmart nearby, but I will try to find those elsewhere. I have also seen the spiral CF daylight bulbs at home depot. They are 19 watts 6500k (about $7). Would I be able to have high light plants (especially glosso) with 2 of those bulbs without a good reflector (just white paint for now)?
Fosty is offline   Reply With Quote