Getting pesky stems to stay down..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Getting pesky stems to stay down..

So i was given some fresh Hygrophilia sp. tiger clippings, they have no roots its stem and leaves, I have a gravel substrate and am having a dickens of a time getting it to stay planted so I have it floating for now. Will the bottom tip of the stem grow roots just floating or do I need to get those buggers buried to encourage roots? If they need buried does anyone have some tips for keeping them down aside from burying a leaf or two from each stem?
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Are you using tweezers? Planting them deep enough should keep them down. It's a pain if you don't use tweezers. They will grow roots out of the substrate. It's better to plant them while they have no roots yet though.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Beeker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I used to buy those plants, I would gently tie a weight to them and stick the stem into the substrate. The weight would just hold them in place. It is tricky though. Depending on how active your fish are, they may nudge them and cause them to come out of the substrate again.
Beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Are you using tweezers? Planting them deep enough should keep them down. It's a pain if you don't use tweezers. They will grow roots out of the substrate. It's better to plant them while they have no roots yet though.
I have not used tweezers since i don't have stainless steel tweezers, I guess I could try jamming them in with the tiny regular ones though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
When I used to buy those plants, I would gently tie a weight to them and stick the stem into the substrate. The weight would just hold them in place. It is tricky though. Depending on how active your fish are, they may nudge them and cause them to come out of the substrate again.
Thank you for the idea I might try that. I only have one powder blue dwarf gourami and he's not too violent though he does forage among the plants.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've used chopsticks (if you're proficient) when I left my tweezers at my other residence. you can also lay the stems at an angle and bury them with substrate.
1x Betta splendens
10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
squatingdog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i had a gravel substrate and now i changed mine to sand. when ever i get new plants and if i want them to stay down, i just put some of my old gravel around the plant and that helps
squatingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

tweezers are absolutely mandatory in starting and maintaining a planted tank.
Sean W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you all for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
tweezers are absolutely mandatory in starting and maintaining a planted tank.
I got to cheat for a while ^^. Have anubias, java fern, mosses, and anacharis so I could get away without tweezers until now was using fishingline and misc. items to tie said plants to. Finally have a stem plant that needs a-plantin'
Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

once you get a proper set of tongs, i think youll have a newfound joy of the hobby. getting a plant exactly where you want it is an awesome power! haha
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
once you get a proper set of tongs, i think youll have a newfound joy of the hobby. getting a plant exactly where you want it is an awesome power! haha
Any brand recommendations to avoid rust or un-alinged tongs?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No recommendations on a particular brand, but i do suggest to not spend $80 on a pair. its not that serious.

I will suggest tho getting a longer set. I have both a short pair ( my first pair, less than 5" ), and my new pair that i got for christmas, i think they are 12", i do enjoy using the longer pair. the only other thing i suggest is to get a pair that dont have aggressive grip in the tips that hold the plants. you want a little bit of a grip on the tips, but i found the aggressive grip on my smaller pair to make it very frustrating to let go of the plant in the substrate and to pull out only the tongs and leave the plant. My longer pair of tongs have a much less aggressive grip molded into the the tips and i find it much easier to remove the tongs while leaving the plant where you want it

here is a picture of both my tongs.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
No recommendations on a particular brand, but i do suggest to not spend $80 on a pair. its not that serious.

I will suggest tho getting a longer set. I have both a short pair ( my first pair, less than 5" ), and my new pair that i got for christmas, i think they are 12", i do enjoy using the longer pair. the only other thing i suggest is to get a pair that dont have aggressive grip in the tips that hold the plants. you want a little bit of a grip on the tips, but i found the aggressive grip on my smaller pair to make it very frustrating to let go of the plant in the substrate and to pull out only the tongs and leave the plant. My longer pair of tongs have a much less aggressive grip molded into the the tips and i find it much easier to remove the tongs while leaving the plant where you want it

here is a picture of both my tongs.

Ok thank you for the advice ^^
Old 02-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #13
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I used to keep this plant a while back. The best way to keep it from uprooting is to bury the bottom of the stem with a few leaves buried in substrate. New roots should form from the node of the leaves you buried. It actually does a decent job of creeping along the substrate in low light conditions. I wish I had this plant again...
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #14
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Finally got them to stay down, not in a permanent spot yet as I am going to re-scape at the next water change (Sunday) to get all the new and old plants layout out better ^^
monster, if mine grow enough to have spares from clipping I'll poke you and see if you still need some (don't know how long that will take in my tank.. new to this plant).

Anyways thank you all again, I think i will try to find some long tweezers to do future scape work with (will definitely need for my next aquarium plans), and as for the chopsticks comment.. i can barely hold them, defiantly not proficient with them haha.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

These have served me well:

SE 513TW 12-Inch Stainless Steel Tweezers - Amazon.com SE 513TW 12-Inch Stainless Steel Tweezers - Amazon.com

These too: (Although they were a bit on the pricey side they are sharp as a razor.)

Metzenbaum Scissors Curved 18cm - T. C. Gold Plated Handles & German Stainless Steel: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Metzenbaum Scissors Curved 18cm - T. C. Gold Plated Handles & German Stainless Steel: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific