20g H - live and learn
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20g H - live and learn

My tank is about 1 year old. This first year in the hobby has been awesome, and I've slowly moved from low tech to high tech over that time. I wish I would have started this from the very beginning so we could all see before and after's, but such is life. Anyways, here are my specs:

Tank: Top Fin 20 gallon high
Substrate: 2" Flourite substrate + 1" black sand
Lighting: 24" Finnex Ray2
CO2: Pressurized, Victor Gas Regulator 7-0155 CGA320, Burkert 6011 solenoid, Fabco NV55-18 needle valve, ADA Pollen Glass Type-3 Diffuser

Manually assembly of my unit was definitely a learning experience. See this thread for more details on my adventures. I originally had a Clippard MME-2PDS-D110 solenoid on my unit, but a few things went wrong with it. First, the solenoid got so hot it eventually burned out the LED indicator. Secondly, right from the beginning it had a leak and never fully closed. Common solutions to this issue proved unsuccessful.

Filters: Aquaclear 50 + Aquaclear 20
Circulation: Hydor Koriala Nano
Fertilizers: EI Dry Dosing KH2PO4, KNO3, KSO4, CSM+B

Flora:

- Blyxa Japonica
- Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria)
- Hygrophyla corymbosa "angustifolia"
- Fissidens Fontanus
- Java Fern
- Anubias Barteri var. Congensis
- Anubias Lanceolata??? (see last image and comments) Update: Determined this to be Echinodorus cordifolius.
- Italian Val
- Ludwiga Repens
- Rotala Rotundifolia
- Amazon Sword
- Cabomba Caroliana
- Java Moss

Fauna:

- 8 Bloodfin Tetras
- 6 Otos
- 4 Neon Green Tetras
- 1 Gold Ram
- 1 Amano Shrimp
- 3 Nerite Snails

Filters, Pumps, CO2 Off

Everything running

Front View

Blyxa, been in the tank about 3 weeks

Fissidens, been in the tank about 3 weeks as well. I used super glue for initial attachment. As you can see it is starting new growth

This is a new leaf on my Anubias, and its huge! Use my hand for scale. After looking at plant dictionaries, I still can figure out what variation this anubias is. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by pelicanincident; 02-05-2014 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: amendments
pelicanincident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

I've ordered a Eheim Classic 2215 canister filter and am expecting delivery tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
baishui
Algae Grower

Two filters + a circulation pump? Is this necessary for a 20g tank?

Last edited by baishui; 02-05-2014 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: fix typo
baishui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
ForensicFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

That is not an anubia. It looks like you have some type of sword plant. Anubias do not grow that well when you bury the rhizome which from the photos it is believed you have done. So I believe it is some type of sword plant.
ForensicFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by baishui View Post
Two filters + a circulation pump? Is this necessary for a 20g tank?
No its not necessary. The only reason why I have the Aquaclear 20 running on the tank is in case I need to quarantine.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicFish View Post
That is not an anubia. It looks like you have some type of sword plant. Anubias do not grow that well when you bury the rhizome which from the photos it is believed you have done. So I believe it is some type of sword plant.
Ok I think I've finally found it. Echinodorus cordifolius
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

I got my new Eheim 2215 canister filter in the mail about a week ago. The first one I received from amazon was broken, the bottom plastic intake piece busted off in three places.

It's worth noting that the green tubing provided (12mm ID/16mm OD) is slightly smaller than the 1/2" ID / 5/8" OD clear tubing sold at Home Depot. I mention this because I am having issues with slight water leaks where the green tubing connects to the outlet of the top of the canister. If the green tubing is having leak problems, the larger Home Depot tubing is sure to be worse.

Other than that, the canister filter is working great. Is it true that I don't need to worry about cleaning it for a while? If so, why is this the case?

The last two weeks or so have shown accelerated growth throughout the tank. I've kept to my weekly 50% WC and kept my CO2 and fert schedule steady. I removed the circulation pump since the filter provides plenty of circulation now. One thing I've noticed is a decrease in the brown "brushy" algae (not implying that its BBA, I'm not sure what it is) that was forming on a lot of the leaf edges, and an increase in fuzzy and sometimes stringy green algae that forms on the face of leaves. The green variety seems to be concentrated the most on the Echinodorus and Ludwiga, and closer to the surface where the light is brightest. I've decreased my photoperiod by 30 minutes (7 hours total) to see if it helps.

Here are some photos:

One of my Blyxa started side shoots which were basically forcing their way out of the substrate. I think this was a pretty good indication that it wanted to propagate I removed the Italian Val in the middle foreground and planted two new blyxa shoots (the two on the left side). You can see my Fissidens has really taken off, but it is starting to accumulate stringy green algae :\

Side shot of the tank, the Rotala in the background is really starting to take off.

Picture of the original Blyxa added to tank.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:48 AM   #8
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

Here is the fissidens progress

Awesome pearling after WC