Fluval Ebi log - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
Bigehugedome
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This really helps. Hopefully will have time to start it this weekend (also have new LED's coming for my SW tank so I may put this off).

I do have a glass diffuser so DIY should be OK for this tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Your correct in cutting off the brown stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about staggering bottles of co2 because if your lights are so high that you need that level of stability then you should probably get pressurized. Use two liter bottles with 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 tsp of yeast with warm water. Shake the crap out of it and usually within a few hours it should produce. I change my bottles at night and by morning they are rolling at full steam. At room temp (approx. 72F) this will start you at around 1.5 bps, winding down to 1 bps and lower in 2-3 weeks. Maybe longer if you use champagne yeast. If you keep an eye on your bps you can see when it starts to slow down and when it falls below your desired level just change it that night and your back in business. Its not like a little time without co2 s gonna cause an algae explosion. If you find yourself in the situation where you'll can't change your mixture for a day or two, just back you lights off wether it be great intensity(distance) or duration and you should be fine.

I have used a lot of different recipes and bottle sizes, for me this has always worked the best and is what I use currently.

As for blasting the co2, maybe do two bottles to start with if you don't have any fish and let it go crazy. But bps isn't everything, the method for diffusion makes a huge difference for how much actually dissolves and I have found that you can use less co2 than most people deem necessary when dissolved properly.

That's my two cents. Good luck.
Bigehugedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Bigehugedome
Algae Grower

Hey all, really need some insight.

So I flooded the tank on Sunday and did the DIY co2. Had no major issues. Although I had some browning because I waited so long to flood, I tried to remove what I could but its really hard working with these small plants.

Monday, all seems fine. Drop checker is yellow showing there is a lot of c02 (which is good since I have no livestock yet)

Tuesday, I go to clean up my wires and tubes and I break my glass diffuser (which was working really well with the diy) so I put in a t valve that's 80% open which makes some big bubbles and I have the filter exhaust breaking them up some. Drop checker is still yellow. New diffuser on the way and I will grab an air stone (cant believe I don't have any!) today to get them to be smaller bubbles.

Today, I had thick, black/dark green algae on a part of the HC. I was able to siphon it out without disturbing the plant. Its 99% gone from what I see. Looks like cyano from a SW tank, just not red.

Here are my questions:

How often should I do WC's during this initial startup. I had my filter media seeded in another tank.

Should I be dosing anything other than co2 at the moment?

How long should my lights be on?

Anything else I should/should not do?

Here is a pic. Pardon the junk floating/stuck in my filter. I just trimmed some and removed that algae so I need to clean up now.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #18
Bigehugedome
Algae Grower

The algea is growing back at the same location and the HC is turning brown everywhere