Baby snapper tank mates
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Cfranz22

PTrader: (0/0%)

Baby snapper tank mates

I have a baby snapping turtle in a 40 gal tank. I am looking for some tank mates. I added in two snails that seem to be doing fine. I was thinking about trying to add crawfish next. Do any of you have experience with crawfish? Also do you have any ideas on other tank mates for a small snapper?
Cfranz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

And I half expected to see a saltwater tank with a red snapper...been a long week
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I had a baby snapper I raised to about 8inches. snails were a great snack for him....he loved them. he loved fish as well, the bigger he got the fewer fish I had.

I wouldn't suggest any tank mates for a snapper that you don't want to eventually get eaten---except maybe another snapper. even other turtles may suffer eventually.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

none
a baby snapper will quickly outgrow that 40 and eventually need something much much larger. Also, within a few months they go from placid, to wanting to rip you to shreds.....

I had one for like two years, found it in the middle of suburbia, eventually gave it to someone with some massive 500 gallon rubbermaid pond thing. I wouldn't trust that turtle with another living creature.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #5
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

Snappers get big and dangerous. The last one I delt with tried to take off body parts while we captured it in a metal trash can to take to a nearby lake.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

My suggestion for a small tank mate would be a small alligator
Just kidding.
I'm in Louisiana, and they are rarely kept in tanks for pets down here, just dinner.

An alligator is the only animal besides another snapper that could tolerate it if it couldn't eat it. And there have been alligators caught with a nice chunk taken out of it by snappers.
Lose a finger and the novelty will wear off real quick.
Unless it's an observation tank, but I think that would get old after a while.
I don't know of any one who kept them as a pet to their full maturity as they can out live you.

-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
bregier79
Algae Grower

I can't speak for the common snapping turtle, but I have 2 alligator snapping turtles and they will eat anything. All fish they can catch, snails, shrimp - heck - they even ate up the plants I put in the tank.

Also, they can be aggressive towards each other. I just had to separate mine this past week since one started to bite at the other one.

As others have noted, these guys get huge (my gator snappers will dwarf a common snapper once full grown). Mine are housed in a 72 and 40 tank for now, but they are about 1 1/2 years old and are still small. I've got 13 acres out in the country and these 2 will each have a 1,000 gallon stock tank once they reach maturity. Fascinating turtles for sure (and mean)!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bregier79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfranz22 View Post
I have a baby snapping turtle in a 40 gal tank. I am looking for some tank mates. I added in two snails that seem to be doing fine. I was thinking about trying to add crawfish next. Do any of you have experience with crawfish? Also do you have any ideas on other tank mates for a small snapper?
I would think that a crayfish could actually severe a baby snappers tail, etc .
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Virc003
Algae Grower

My parents had a 55 for 5-10 years set up with two baby snappers and 2 fully grown oscars. The oscars were always much bigger than the turtles. When the fish died (of old age) the turtles were donated to a local zoo. 20 years later, they are now in a 10-20 thousand gallon exhibit with a couple of crocodiles.
Virc003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virc003 View Post
My parents had a 55 for 5-10 years set up with two baby snappers and 2 fully grown oscars. The oscars were always much bigger than the turtles. When the fish died (of old age) the turtles were donated to a local zoo. 20 years later, they are now in a 10-20 thousand gallon exhibit with a couple of crocodiles.

Oh how neat .

Was it the Bronx zoo in NY ?

I was there years ago and they had BIG snappers in a big enclosure with gators and the guy feeding the gators said that all the snappers were donated .
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
Virc003
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Oh how neat .

Was it the Bronx zoo in NY ?

I was there years ago and they had BIG snappers in a big enclosure with gators and the guy feeding the gators said that all the snappers were donated .
No, they are at the Fort Worth Zoo in Texas.
Virc003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virc003 View Post
No, they are at the Fort Worth Zoo in Texas.
Okay thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #13
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love seeing alligator snapping turtles, they're very very common around here.
I'd say get a dozen or so feeder guppys. They'll create movement and action in the tank while feeding the snapper, and keeping that wild instinct to hunt food especially key if you plan to release it outside
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote