Chayos00's 125g tank build - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used 3 coats of white paint, but the sump is sealed, so not a lot of moisture gets out.

Dats some nice driftwood.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
chayos00
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
I used 3 coats of white paint, but the sump is sealed, so not a lot of moisture gets out.

Dats some nice driftwood.
Thanks! I've posted this question across 3 different aquarium forums and I am getting some good feedback about what to do. Hearing Thompson's is no good and polyurethane is not too. Either Kilz and paint or just layers of a primer/paint. Or one guy even mentioned using an epoxy finish for sealing off a pan on the bottom.

I'll have to checkout the local waste management if they are anywhere near me and see what I find there.

Yeah I really do like that driftwood also. On my first hunt for wood I grabbed some pieces that are just way too big to make it work. However so am going to use those pieces to experiment on with pressure washing.... that is if my buddy figures out if one of his two machines work. Otherwise I might have to go use the local car wash, but would rather not for the soap that's probably in those lines. I also picked up a 55g drum from craigslist to soak my wood and try to boil it.
chayos00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

nice tank. BEAUTIFUL dobe though!

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
chayos00
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
nice tank. BEAUTIFUL dobe though!
Thanks to both! My dobe is 12 and she's still my baby!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 AM   #20
chayos00
Algae Grower

I got the 1000w bucket heater yesterday and so I trimmed up the driftwood to fit the tank. I had to break out my chainsaw and trim about 3-6" from the bottom of the stump to keep the top of the log in the tank. I also had to break off a number of the branches to get the branch setup in the tank. So with the wood trimmed and the 55g drum cleaned out. It's time to start the soaking!! So with the heater in the tank for a few hours the water went from ~70*F up to 100+*F. However when my wife unplugged it a few hours later she commented to me how the extension chord was quite warm. The heater was pulling right @ 1000-1015 watts of power, so that equates to about 8.4A @ 120VAC. The chord is a 12 gauge ridgid branded chord. I do have a 100 foot 10 gauge chord that I'm going to run out to my power panel to use the 20A circuit I have wired into an outlet coming from the bottom of the box. This way if there is overheating issues, then that extension chord can burn up outside and not through the walls of my house!!!

Last edited by chayos00; 02-07-2014 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: Fixin
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #21
chayos00
Algae Grower

Got my 3 200W Jager heaters yesterday along with my bulkheads from bulkreefsupply.com. Today I got my hole saw guide for drilling the glass.

On a side note that 55 gallon drum is plumb full of some nasty tannins! Before dumping it I'm curious to see what my ph will be. I'm going to dump the barrel about once a week due to it being a TON of water to drain each time. I do have that reef octopus skimmer "stirring" the water up, and that's getting some nasty black stuff foaming up through the little catch tray. Seeing what this thing is pulling out of this barrel, I might test it with my tank once I get it up and running.

I've also been doing of thinking about how I'm going to design the stand. I'm probably going to go with 2 doors that are about 32W x 30T. The only issues is finding material that would be the proper width to make this work.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #22
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

How do you like your Jebao 1200? I am looking to replace my current external pump with something wake because its so noisy. I was looking at the variable speed pumps so I can fine tune my flow, I also really like the "feed" button on there. The aquarium I am looking to use it on is a 180 gallon, so with the sump around 200 gallons total, and would be running about 8 feet of tubing for each over flow. Was thinking about getting two pumps, one for each return line, but wanted to see what your experience with this pump was.

Bet regards,
AQ
aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
chayos00
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
How do you like your Jebao 1200? I am looking to replace my current external pump with something wake because its so noisy. I was looking at the variable speed pumps so I can fine tune my flow, I also really like the "feed" button on there. The aquarium I am looking to use it on is a 180 gallon, so with the sump around 200 gallons total, and would be running about 8 feet of tubing for each over flow. Was thinking about getting two pumps, one for each return line, but wanted to see what your experience with this pump was.

Bet regards,
AQ
Unfortunately I don't have my tank up and running yet. I am still building the stand for the tank, which I need to post some updates for. all I have done so far for the pump was to run a test on it while sitting in a tub of water to ensure proper functionality.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #24
chayos00
Algae Grower

Here is my wood soaking in a 55g drum with a reef octopus skimmer acting as a pump to circulate the water. I have my three heaters in the barrel also as I noticed that the tannins were released quicker at higher temps versus cooler water. So far it's been soaking for about a month and a half. I used bleach about 3 weeks ago and that $hit smell went away after that, man that sure made the garage reek!!

Last week I finally picked the needed wood to skin the stand. You can also see the barrel I have for soaking the wood. I insulated it as I was trying to boil the water and sitting on the concrete floor sapped all the heat out of it. plus I am sure it lost a bunch of heat throw the side walls too.

I finally figured out the proper spacing and the doors that I am going to use. So everything is finally screwed into place. The board on the bottom is screwed down, just didn't take an after picture of that step.

Tonight I am going to work on making the tub in the bottom of the stand for any accidental overflows. With the 55g tank there it will hold 14-15 gallons of water using 2x4's.

I just have to maintain motivation!

Last edited by chayos00; 06-21-2014 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #25
chayos00
Algae Grower

Alright so massive update time! So I took week of of work to get some progress done on the stand and canopy. See the 2nd post for an update. Now it's time to make the cabinet doors!

Full Stand & Canopy Shot

Stand Shot

Canopy Shot
Old 06-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #26
Ecas32
Algae Grower

You have done an absolutely gorgeous job on that stand and hood! Can't wait to see where the rest of this build goes.
Ecas32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #27
chayos00
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecas32 View Post
You have done an absolutely gorgeous job on that stand and hood! Can't wait to see where the rest of this build goes.
Thank you very much for your kind words! I can't wait myself to see how this setup goes!! Just need to get back into action to get those doors done, but other things keep getting in the way of this project. I wish I had another week to take of to finish it!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #28
180g
Planted Tank Obsessed

cant wait to see updates!!! how is the tank doing? also how is your Doberman doing?
(I'm 13 )
180g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
chayos00
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
cant wait to see updates!!! how is the tank doing? also how is your Doberman doing?
No more work has been done to the stand yet. I've just been busy and the days I have had free were spent relaxing or getting other more urgent matters done. Yazmin is doing good also! Thanks for asking about her!
Hopefully I can get the cabinet doors done soon!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #30
180g
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok, Yazmin is very beautiful by the way!
(I'm 13 )
180g is online now   Reply With Quote