120 Gallon Dutch color contrast version 3.0 - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #76
jimmyjam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Amazing scape yet again. What's the biggest challenge for this tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #77
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
Amazing scape yet again. What's the biggest challenge for this tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mostly deciding who to keep and who not to. Often times a new plant will become available. So where do I put it? If I add another green, then I need to add or delete a red. If I add another red, will it contrast well with the others?
will the plant do well in the location I chose? Should the shape, or the size of the patch chose be effective to high light the plant and not block the views of the other plants as it grows out much? Is the rate of growth too fast?
Can I sell this new plant easily?

Often such plants are new and few folks have experience or have scaped with them. So there's a lot of trade offs and considerations when adding something new. The plant choices are hardly the plain and boring species, it's pretty much all eclectic, hard to grow rarer species.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:23 AM   #78
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Water is hazy from cleaning the sponge block filters once every 3 months or so.
Cleared up a bit more than I thought it might after I 1st did it.

Top view:

You can see a nice crown of the Erio type 3 here.

You can see smaller runty rattier ones, but they are getting better and will form a nice top crown and keep doing this for now on.
Maybe another 2 months or so, the section will be nice and full of nice large crows, roughly 4" across. In the deep corn there, the Limnophila wavy guinea I stuffed in the back, but it should do fine back there and is a bit different from the Erio. I might mix a red plant to break the green green color scheme between them, but it's not needed since you cannot see it that easily. So that brings up a question, why have it if you cannot see it much? Sort of a bank of plants in case I decide to change or move something else without ripping up too much stuff.

UG is very dense now:

ET is getting a nice rug: you can see bubbles under the sediment near the roots, any ideas on what those gas bubbles are? How does very active healthy plant growth affect their formation? What if you suddenly slowed the rates of plant growth way down?

King of the Erio's:

Ricciardia on the stump with cherry shrimp infesting it.

Couch view.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #79
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Hey wait a min, what about those gas bubbles? I get them too when I point my CFL close to the Glosso, is the rapid growth pumping a ton of oxygen in the sediment?

Tell me, this is a good thing.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #80
erimar
Algae Grower

Wow! Your tank is amazing...In addition to CO2 what are the parameters of the tank and what's your dosing regimen? I am new to the hobby and your tank is truly an inspiration.

Regards,

Erick
erimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #81
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Hey wait a min, what about those gas bubbles? I get them too when I point my CFL close to the Glosso, is the rapid growth pumping a ton of oxygen in the sediment?

Tell me, this is a good thing.
Yes, but what does a lot of O2 in the sediment do then next? Do roots produce O2, or do they just respire?

Or do they pump O2 from above from thr shoot, down to the roots, then the roots use the O2 and a lot of O2 also leaks out around the roots.......what does this O2 then become? How does the active optimal growth in the shoot relate to the sediment?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #82
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Every time I see this thread pop up on the list I look at it even though I've seen it countless times. Never fails to blow my mind. Excellent work Tom
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #83
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Every time I see this thread pop up on the list I look at it even though I've seen it countless times. Never fails to blow my mind. Excellent work Tom
I move the leggos around quite often

By posting often, it shows consistency. It shows what can be done, what trimming is done, changes made if things do not grow the way you like, the lack of algae issues with dosing higher ferts under high light and good CO2 etc.
and it highlights the progression through time of the newer and red species of plants that many seek to grow and covet. I can easily take a picture of a nice single stem at some point in time and then use that over and over again, but you cannot fake this for 2 years and post every week or two.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #84
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Some odd percent like 40% or so of the nutrients taken in by the leaves are deposited in the substrate much of it is o2.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:10 AM   #85
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Is that stuff on your stump Riccardia chamedryfolia? Thank you. Google seems to not know to what you are referring to in that post.
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #86
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Some odd percent like 40% or so of the nutrients taken in by the leaves are deposited in the substrate much of it is o2.
Roots are respiring, no photosynthesis. But they do act as pipes to add O2 to the rhizosphere. But the gas is mostly CO2, O2 is quickly consumed in the clay like loamy sediments. I bubbled it up and collected it in a cup. Burped that into a flask with a pH probe. O2 would not impact pH and would burn more if you add flame near it. I also have an O2 Hack LDO, same as the tank water.

Pretty easy to tell for me.

Plants pipe a fair amount of O2 to the sediments, but not a wasteful purging amount. They will give that off at the shoot. They want somewhat low O2 conditions but too much in the root zones.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #87
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
Is that stuff on your stump Riccardia chamedryfolia? Thank you. Google seems to not know to what you are referring to in that post.

Yes.

Riccardia
Old 02-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #88
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Left for 5 days, the tank was not fertilized.

Growth was good, a tinge of a few leaf holes on some plants, 95% of the other species are perfect though. A bit of glass algae. Wiped, did a good hack and trim. Lot of a overgrowth. Groups are getting nicer.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #89
Wolf19
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Left for 5 days, the tank was not fertilized.

Growth was good, a tinge of a few leaf holes on some plants, 95% of the other species are perfect though. A bit of glass algae. Wiped, did a good hack and trim. Lot of a overgrowth. Groups are getting nicer.
Hey Tom,

The leaf holes - feels like a really quick response from your plants in a 5 day period. I'm seeing this on a few of my plants, what nutrient deficiency do you attribute this to?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #90
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf19 View Post
Hey Tom,

The leaf holes - feels like a really quick response from your plants in a 5 day period. I'm seeing this on a few of my plants, what nutrient deficiency do you attribute this to?
Most likely nitrogen.

there's plenty of everything else and the plants are able to tolerate limitations for many of the other nutrients quite well or there's just plenty of them, eg, a lot of K+. Many think K+, but there's 5-7X more per ration required for growth than N.

So N is the main limiting fert in this tank but if I'm around more, then I can take care of that with 2x a week dosing. The ADA is getting older also, if it was new, then the tank would not have such issues. Since it is a source of N for the 1st few months.