30 Gallon low tech- swords, crypts, anubias, moss - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 AM   #31
boredincubicle
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

haven't updated this in a while. not really a crypt jungle anymore, tried mixing it up a bit and throwing some swords in.

boredincubicle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 AM   #32
mistuhmarc
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Question! When you had the dome CFLs on your tank, do you have them just directly sitting on the lid of your tank?
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #33
harilp
Planted Member

The tank looks great!!

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #34
boredincubicle
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
Question! When you had the dome CFLs on your tank, do you have them just directly sitting on the lid of your tank?

I did for a while, but then started to notice that becuase they were so close I wasn't actually getting light to all the plants in the tank and some of the plants were getting too intense of direct light, so I made some little risers out of legos and lifted them up a few inches off the top of the tank
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #35
B16CRXT
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I like that Parva Crypt! Would you wanna sell some next time you prune it?

Tank looks great! How well do all your inhabitants get along?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #36
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Tank looks great! I love crypt heavy tanks

yes it looks like wendtii, parva is much much shorter. regardless, it looks great. is that a 30 gallon or 29?
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #37
hobo717
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

looks great.
hobo717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #38
boredincubicle
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by B16CRXT View Post
I like that Parva Crypt! Would you wanna sell some next time you prune it?

Tank looks great! How well do all your inhabitants get along?
I don't think it is parva crypt, I thought it was initially but I've been told a few times it's not. And I just bought it at petsmart if you want some. It came in a little plastic bag with the gel stuff on the roots. After going back I've seen the same stuff, but now it is labeled as wendtii, when I bought my plants, they were labeled as parva, hence my confusion. They still look different from the wendtii I've gotten from other places, but I don't know. Either way I like them haha. You get quite a few plants for the couple of bucks though, and they sprout up real quick.

Current stock gets along fine. Stocking has changed since I started this thread up, but I never really had major issues. The kuhlis I have in some pics didn't make it very long, I have no idea why. A lot of the fish I had when I started this tank up were from a previous 20 gallon, so some naturally died off. I had seen the ram and beta stare each other down or chase each other briefly at times, but nothing major. For the most part the beta stayed up top and the ram at the bottom. I think if the beta had long fins it could have been bad though, and I probably wouldn't mix the two again. At least not in a tank this size. Beta died a few months ago which i expected, I had him for a few years, but I was surprised when my ram died a few weeks ago as I only had him for a little over a year.

Currently have 7x harlequin rasbora, 5x pristella tetra, 7x neon tetra, 4x emerald cory, 5x oto, and the dwarf gourami. Haven't seen any fin nipping or any issues at all really with the new gourami. He built a decent little bubble nest the day after I introduced him to the tank. It is probably a little overstocked, but with the AC50 on there, all the plants, and my frequent water changes I'm not too worried about it.

And thebuddha- it is a 30 gallon. I have a 29 as well, but that one is brackish with no live plants to speak of. I wish I had plants for it though!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #39
B16CRXT
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Unfortunately Rams don't live long. The longest I've been able to keep them is about 2 years. I have successfully bred GBR's but raising the fry is extremely difficult. I would like to find another pair of GBR but they always die from some type of infection or disease. Nothing treats it either. I'm spoiled by my 5+ year old cory cats.

I've also tried to keep two Gouramis and both died the same way. A part of flesh near the belly started rotting away and they died from it. No treatment would work for them either.

There is a lot of inbreeding with gouramis, tetras, and gbr that make them a lot weaker than other species. It sucks...
B16CRXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 AM   #40
boredincubicle
Algae Grower

Re-arranged slightly and added some hygro that is finally sprouting some submerged leaves.

Last edited by boredincubicle; 03-04-2014 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Picture
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #41
Crazy4discus
Algae Grower

Nice low tech setup you have there!!
Crazy4discus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #42
boredincubicle
Algae Grower

Really enjoying this little guy. I think I have a pretty good system down for spot feeding them (I got 2). They've eaten a few big meals already
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #43
Aquatic-Prodigy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Hmmm that really doesn't look like any c. Parva I've ever seen looks much more like C. Nevillii or C lucens. I could be wrong but I don't think that's parva. Regardless, congrats on the lush growth man!! Looks great!
i didnt think it was parva either its too big
Old 03-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #44
Whiskey
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love tanks like this! They may not grow as fast as high tech tanks, but they are often much longer lived. How did those cherry shrimp fare in there? Did they manage to evade the fish?

Whiskey
Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #45
boredincubicle
Algae Grower

Yeah, I have no idea what the crypts are lol. They were definitely mislabeled when I bought them. Either way they to continue to do well. They have managed some solid growth over the past few weeks since I put new root tabs in.

As for the RCS, that was an experiment that didn't last too long. When my crypts were super thick they were fine, but when I thinned the crypts out so my fish could actually swim around the bottom, my old betta started making pretty quick work of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.