Shrimp stocking density per gallon?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Grah the great
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shrimp stocking density per gallon?

Something of a self explanatory question, but oh well...how many shrimp should one stock per gallon? I more have in mind neocardinia shrimp, but other shrimp stocking laws would be nice as well.
Grah the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I feel like this is a very subjective question. Some are able to keep hundreds of shrimp in like a 3G tank while others are only able to keep a few handfuls. I would say it's best to start with 5-10 shrimp and get them to breed. If you get everything right, they'll start to breed. And if they feel the need to slow down on breeding due to population density, they might (lol) or you'll have ot start up another tank.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Depends on your filtration and established bacteria.

Even with just a sponge filter, if it has established bacteria, and climbing room, you could keep 50+
Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

Depends on a bunch of the above, and maturity of tank. I have had 1200 shimp in a 20l
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

+1 For initial stocking on neo's, I've seen general consensus on 6-10 being a good number per gallon, but in the longer term, as they breed, the carrying limit comes down to the specific set up/condition of the tank in question.

I've a 2g planted vase that has held steady at about 6-8 cherries for years now with only the occasional hatching of new shrimplets to replace lost adults--from old age or being startled out of the top of the vase--while the 3g tank next to it routinely carries 30-60 adults with breeding continuing non-stop.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

There is a big difference between buying 1000 shrimps and put all in a 20 gallon tank and having 20 shrimps in a 20 gallon tank then 1000 bred from the 20. The formal will be much harder to manage.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
Inverted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 or more to stock its up to you . But the carrying capacity for Adult Neocardiana is 15 per gallon . Cardina is 10 per gallon . Of course everyones experience can be different but that's the general rule
Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

As others said, age of tank, filtration are keys.
But I also think layout of the tank, including the tank design itself. A 2g vase doesn't have much space when compared to a 2.5g tank even with them being very similar in size gallon wise.
Then add in real plants vs fake. what you plan to feed. your water, and WC schedule. your experience with shrimps. your feeding habits with them. and on and on.

there is no real correct answer. but always always always err on the side of caution and stock light. as others said, if they feel theres a need to populate, they most certainly will.
When I initially stock a shrimp tank, its 4 per gallon or less with standard tanks like a 10 gallon or 46 bow.
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote