Anyone use 65 watts light on a 29 gallon tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Anyone use 65 watts light on a 29 gallon tank?

I currently use Coralife T-5 30" lights (2*18 watts) on my 29 gallon tank (30"L x 12"D x 18" H). The amount of lights seem to be fine with my plants and tank. The only problems I have is a very slow case of of brush algae, but it's easily controllable via bleach dipping plants. I'm thinking of going to 65 watt lights, since they have built in LEDs. I'm just concerned if that may be too much light for a low tech tank. I do not dose any ferts.

Has anyone been successful of going with this much light on a 29 gallon low tech tank?
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

I had the exact same setup 2 years ago.
if you want to stay with low tech plants,
your 2x18 will be fine, just keep the time
the lights are on to under 8 hours per day
to help delay those algae episodes.

you can find a separate cheap moonlight
without having to upgrade to a 65w fixture.

once you get to 65w-130w of light, you
will need to Fertilize & DIY Co2 to help
your plants out compete algae for any
available water borne nutrients.

so you might want to leave well enough alone.
spypet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
kornphlake
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just replaced my 1x20w with a 2x30w DIY hood on my 29g flat back hex. The new hood is way too bright, I like how the 36" tube lights up the corners where the 24" tube wouldn't, but it's too bright, far too bright unless I add CO2. I'll either put the lights on a <4 hr timer, or take out one of the bulbs. I can guess it's going to grow algea as is unless I do.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
I just replaced my 1x20w with a 2x30w DIY hood on my 29g flat back hex. The new hood is way too bright, I like how the 36" tube lights up the corners where the 24" tube wouldn't, but it's too bright, far too bright unless I add CO2. I'll either put the lights on a <4 hr timer, or take out one of the bulbs. I can guess it's going to grow algea as is unless I do.
Use some eggcrate over the top of your tank. It'll cut down on the light some.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
petesplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought a Corallife 30 65W for my 29 gal "high tech" tank but now am starting wish I never did. I yearn for the old low tech days and I am wondering if there is anyway to put a lower wattage bulb in the fixture?
petesplants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I did a 65W retrofit about 2 years ago, on my Eclipse-3 hood. Strange as it may sound, I think the plants were happier under the original 40W, and nuisance algae was a non-issue.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Ok, I guess I'll stick with the lights I have now. It's just, I want to use led moonlights. I don't want to use the suction type to stick on the glass, because it looks tacky. Plus I don't think it will look right, since it will be shining from the side at an angle, instead of straight down. Besides, I know suction cups don't last too long and I would probably just get frustrated trying to make the suction cups stick.

Coralife Aqua lights have a special base that can fit in tracks of their Coralife lights, but these look to be designed for the CF lights. My T5 light strip doesn't have tracks for the light to connect to.

I use Current USA Lunar lights, but need to be placed on top of a glass canopy or mounted on something. My 29 gallon tank is an open top tank and I want to stray away from using a glass top. I may just use a partial glass top, just to lay the lunar lights on.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
shwerm601
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to shwerm601

Ive got a 29 gallon, and bought the coralife 1x65watt only to regret not getting the 2x65watt. I think the 2x65 would be much better. I know I have >2wpgs roughly, but smaller tanks I have read do better with a higher wpg whereas a 55gallon for example might do better with 2wpg or so. Just my experience/reading,,,

I have DIY c02 and cant keep enough c02 in there...
Old 01-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesplants View Post
I bought a Corallife 30 65W for my 29 gal "high tech" tank but now am starting wish I never did. I yearn for the old low tech days and I am wondering if there is anyway to put a lower wattage bulb in the fixture?
I have a 130W Coralife over my 29 gallon tank and I love it.

To answer the question, the ballast drives the bulbs so if you put a 55W bulb in the fixture it is still going to run at 65W.
Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
BiscuitSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.