My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 48
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #706
Steezy B
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Are any of you having issues with water bypassing the trays? I'm trying to decide between a 304b and a 2217. Sunsun is cheaper and higher flow rate, but the bypass issue is making me lean towards the 2217... any thoughts/opinions?
Steezy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #707
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Eheim, hands down, makes a better filter than SunSun. The SunSun advantage is its surprising functionality and dependability, *given its low price*. If you're interested in a top quality filter, look elsewhere. If you're looking for something cheap that works pretty well and will last, SunSun is a good bet.

As far as flow rates, in general, go, not a filter on the market is "honest". The circumstances necessary to achieve a published flow rate are difficult, or sometimes impossible, to mimic, and certainly not possible when the filter is filled with media and placed under a tank. However, the published Eheim flow rates are more honest than most.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #708
Steezy B
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I currently have an AC 110 on my 40 breeder, and I'm not happy with the water movement in the tank (quite a few dead spots). I think an AC 110 and a 2217 would work well. Where should I place the HOB and the 2217 ' inflow and outflow?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Steezy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #709
othercents
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have been running a SunSun 302 for over 2 years for my 10g mantis tank and since my mantis died I'm redoing the tank as a planted tank. These things have lots of flow and it has lasted well. The only issue is the basket handles breaking.
othercents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #710
seandelevan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought one of these last year. Below is my review of it. This was from another thread. Thought I put it here.

After my fx5 crapped the bed on me a few months ago, I decided to get the SunSun. All I have to say is you get what you pay for.

Pros:
Cheap

Easy to assemble
Decent flow
Decent media capacity
Quiet

Cons
:
Flimsy cheap and I think just pathetic intake and outtake tubes.
A royal pain in the *** to clean and or change media. Every media basket as to set up a special way to accommodate the UV sterilizer.
A royal pain in the *** to prime(which is every week after I do a water change). Have to use two hands and do some serious push ups on the thing.

The decent flow I mentioned above is severely limited a few days later. The flow rate is pretty strong for such an undersized intake strainer that it gets blocked and clogged real quick, and in a planted tank that's not too hard. I was having to remove debris from it constantly.

If I knew better I would saved my money and get another fx5 or fx6....sigh.

Let's just say this filter has been collecting dust for 6 months now.
seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #711
Arkansas
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=etk300ex;4666433]Just got one of these guys to replace my fluval 304 that I busted the case manhandling. Fit and finish is pretty damn good, everything fits together great. However the flow seems pretty weak compared to my 304, which is of very similar gph. I flipped flopped it and pretty sure all the air is out of it.

Also, the blue push button on top will help to get any air out of the system and improve the water flow.
Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #712
tarsman013
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998golfer View Post
I'm planning on a sunsun HW-304A for my marineland 27g cube, how much media does each of the baskets hold if someone on here has it?
my 304b holds a crap ton, easily a liter or so per basket
SunSun Pimp #85
tarsman013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #713
harilp
Planted Member

Would Hw-302 do well for 40 gallon tank??

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #714
pwu_1
Algae Grower

Can anybody compare the sound level of the sunsun 302b/402bto an Aquaclear HOB filter? I just set up a 20L and I have an Aquaclear 30 hanging on one side and a Rena Smartfilter that I got for really cheap hanging on the other side. The aquaclear is pretty much silent. The Rena Smartfilter on the other hand makes this annoying hum. The problem is the tank sits on my office desk and I work from home so I'm sitting less than 3 feet away from it 8+ hours a day and this hum is driving me nuts.
So I was going to get another aquaclear but then I was thinking if I got a canister filter then I can run a CO2 reactor and get better CO2 saturation without the soda water effect.
The only requirement is that the filter has to be quiet since I'm sitting right next to all day long.
I just read through all 48 pages of this thread and while most people say the SunSun is practically silent there are a few people saying that it is somewhat noisy.
Appreciate it if anyone that has both an aquaclear and SunSun can make a comparison on the sound that(or lack of) the SunSun makes compared to the aquaclear.
TIA
pwu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #715
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have an AquaClear 70 on my 29 gal tank & a SunSun 304a on my 75 gal tank. The AquaClear came with my used 75 gal tank so not sure how old it is. Mine is not always silent especially when I first restart it after cleaning it. It will usually calm down & get quieter after several hours. Previous owner used it on the 75 gal tank but it really doesn't fit so the input tube is wobbly .. kind of like it was "stretched" out. Pretty sloppy fit on my 29 gal. I have to use string to tighten the intake tube so it fits & stays over the impeller right. But it was "free" so to speak so not complaining. And it will usually eventually get pretty quiet.

My SunSun will make also make some noise after cleaning/restarting ... sounds a little like a dishwasher (but nowhere that loud) until it gets the air out. Usually takes a couple hours. After that it's almost dead silent. I have to put my ear within 12" to ear a soft hum to know it's running.

Not sure mine is a good comparison for you but my SunSun is definitely quieter than my AquaClear. BUT my SunSun is less than a year old while the Aquaclear is more than 2 yrs old & probably a lot older (I've had it running 2 yrs). Not sure how long it was used before I got it.
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 AM   #716
Kareen
Planted Member

I have a AquaTop the same as a sunsun It's been runing a year now and is dead silent love the deep trys and if you need any parts or media you can go to TruAqua.com or AmericanAquariumProducts.com
Kareen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #717
Crob5965
Planted Member

Hi

just wanted to throw in my 2cents, I have used the 264gph Canister for over a year on both freshwater and a small reef tank, they are super quiet and work great. I would not however trust my 255 gal reef tan with one but, for the price you wont find a better canister filter
Crob5965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #718
lksdrinker
Algae Grower

I honestly only skimmed through the 48 pages of this thread. But it seems the general consensus is that these sunsun filters are a great deal when comparing the price to their performance.

I currently have 2 fluval 404s and one of the has the infamous drip from the handles. Thinking of replacing one (or both) with a sunsun.

Can anyone confirm for me the hose size used by the sun sun? Would I be able to use the same 5/8" (or at least I think thats what it is) hose that I'm using on my Fluval? For clarification I do not mean the fluval corrugated hose as I added length with some 5/8" vinyl tubing. I assume that vinyl tubing should connect to the sunsun with no issues?
lksdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #719
Charlest
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

The hoses are 5/8 . The filters though are the biggest piles of s#@% on the planet though.

I challenge all of you to do a gph test and come back and tell me what you get. If it's over 100 you may have hit the lottery. They are nothing near advertised.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
Charlest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #720
lksdrinker
Algae Grower

If it works without leaking its already an improvement on the Fluval I am currently using. It seems that leaking is not an issue with these things where as some of the more "major" brands seem to leak like a sieve.

I'm really not too concerned about the actual number of gallons per hour it flows compared with how well it filters the tank. I tend to over-filter my tanks. So two canisters and an AQ110 on my 72gallon tank should do the trick; even if the advertised GPH is not accurate.
lksdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote