Newbie Edge - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-26-2014, 01:41 AM   #31
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Trying to keep things low tech at the moment. Don't really have the space to hide bottles and more tubing. Would tabs make a difference? Already dosing Flourish & Excel.
it would grow a stronger root system with tablets. Also the driftwood is very nice, compliments the sand very well. Make sure you're able to get your mag-float around it though, hate knocking hardscapes with scrappers.
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #32
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
it would grow a stronger root system with tablets. Also the driftwood is very nice, compliments the sand very well. Make sure you're able to get your mag-float around it though, hate knocking hardscapes with scrappers.
Ah, I wasn't even thinking about the magfloat. Honestly my mystery snail is very active and keeps everything clean! I did a 60 second time lapse video before bed (battery lasted 3 hrs) and the snail was doing circles around the tank cleaning it. Kinda funny. I'm going to do a 30 second one tonight and maybe make a video or something of it if it's any good.

I'll look into making an osmocote root tab. Any specific version?
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #33
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 8

I didn't do any testing. Just kind of letting things do their thing. Last night I did snap a picture just before bed of the snail roaming over the DHG. He is pretty hilarious looking, I like him a lot. Today I didn't see him and I thought he might've went up and was hiding by the light. Then I noticed him hiding out in the hollow portion of the driftwood, though maybe he got stuck but he was just hanging out there.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #34
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nice tank, I do also recommend trying to get some root tabs for the DHG because I actually used to try dhg in an edge as well. Didn't work out. The hairgrass died in a couple weeks even with the ferts and excel I added :\
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #35
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am definitely considering getting some root tabs for sure, just to see if they'll help the DHG.

Pretty simple video I cooked up from the pictures I took last night. I should add some race car soundtrack for that Mystery snail as he seems to do laps around the tank. My favorite part is when he takes short cuts and just lets himself drop from the top.

Last edited by Menace; 01-27-2014 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: Fixed link
Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #36
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL That's awesome! You've totally inspired me... I downloaded a time lapse app and I'm going to see if I can shoot one, too. The snails TOTALLY make it!
kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #37
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
LOL That's awesome! You've totally inspired me... I downloaded a time lapse app and I'm going to see if I can shoot one, too. The snails TOTALLY make it!
Which program did you download?

I have windows movie maker which I made the time lapse with, but it required speeding up which I used in an old video program I have. (Corel VideoStudio Pro X3) which I also made the titles with and final video format. The camera is a first generation GoPro HD Hero so the quality isn't the greatest and the battery doesn't last that long. Though I think if my cord is long enough I can record full video while it's plugged in until the memory card runs out of space. Might give that a try.

Anyway, look forward to seeing your video!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:42 AM   #38
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Which program did you download?

I have windows movie maker which I made the time lapse with, but it required speeding up which I used in an old video program I have. (Corel VideoStudio Pro X3) which I also made the titles with and final video format. The camera is a first generation GoPro HD Hero so the quality isn't the greatest and the battery doesn't last that long. Though I think if my cord is long enough I can record full video while it's plugged in until the memory card runs out of space. Might give that a try.

Anyway, look forward to seeing your video!
Oh, it's just an app for my iphone. "Lapse It", I think, but it puts a graphic at the end of the video, so you'll see for sure if I get something worth posting. I'll post it here, if you want... I haven't gotten around to creating a journal thread for my tank yet. (It's shooting as I type this, so I can't look right this moment) The resulting videos look great on the small screen, at least. I doubt I'll bother with titles and such; yours looks great but I've seldom had the patience to go there... I just don't have the temperament to be a video editor, LOL.

Last edited by kman; 01-27-2014 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: corrected program name
Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #39
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, there's precious little doubt as to why I'm finding Glosso leaves floating up top on a regular basis now.

Last edited by kman; 01-27-2014 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Add second URL
Old 01-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #40
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Kman those videos are awesome. Do you know how many pictures per minute it took? I did 2 because I was worried about battery life but next time I'll definitely do more.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #41
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Kman those videos are awesome. Do you know how many pictures per minute it took? I did 2 because I was worried about battery life but next time I'll definitely do more.
Thanks! I left it on the defaults for the app. It's either 2 shots per second or 1 shot every 2 seconds (not clear from the interface, but I'll look into it when I can), and then it renders out at 25 fps, at 720p.

I had a bunch more on that second video but I was watching TV while it was shooting, and completely forgot that the timer for the lights was going to cut out at about midnight. Whoops!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #42
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

It turns out that my DHG is rooting well! Those roots were non-existent when I planted the DHG. This unlucky fellow was floating along the surface because my terrorizing Mystery snail keeps uprooting things. However it's a good find and lets me know that it's happening! (No runners yet though)

I was at lowes today and I went to the tile section. I found a decent looking tile (priced $1.38) but when I picked it up it cracked as you can see in the picture. So the guy marked it down to $.50; win win. Got some glue and a masonry chisel, hopefully I can make something nice out of all this.

Day 9

Tank looking a little cloudy today. I didn't check the parameters I'm just going to let it be for a while. Things are looking healthy though. I made another video this time, hopefully better than my last! I like it though. My silly Platy's antics.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #43
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lmao!!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #44
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Lmao!!
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #45
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just demonstrating that the Java fern can be planted into the substrate. I'm guessing since my sand is super lightweight that the water column is feeding the rhizome just fine.

If you look earlier in this thread and compare to the picture I took a few days ago, this leaf has really taken off.

There is a leaf growing out of another leaf in the center pair of Java ferns and the "roots" are growing down towards the sand.

Day 11

Well today I decided to do another water change (35-40%) because last night when I checked the water parameters they looked like this.

pH 6.4 (Previously in the 7.4 range)
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrites 5+ppm
Nitrates 5ppm

After the water change I checked again.

pH 6.6
Ammonia .50ppm
Nitrites 5+ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm

I'm not sure if the pH change was due to the driftwood I added. Surprised to see the levels rise after the water change as well.

I also added some slate "tunnels" as I like to call them. While beating up the tile I purchased I just experimented with what might be cool for the fish. I'm not entirely sure I like them yet and may take them out. I'll wait for some feedback first. The platy hasn't discovered them yet but the snail has already explored around them.

Last edited by Menace; 01-29-2014 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: .