Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 22
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-26-2014, 12:48 AM   #316
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I know my 2215 was never as quiet as it first was, after breaking one impeller shaft it got louder, then I had to replace the impeller and shaft again. It's not loud at all, just not silent like it once was.

Scape is looking great. It's just been better and better since you resolved your issues. I commend your patience and it has really paid off.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #317
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

thanks Matt!! I think patience has been key and probably the hardest thing for me to give in to as well. I'm really liking how things have started to come together in the tank and I am enjoying it on a very different level now.

and thanks for the input on the eheim too. there's just a faint difference in the noise of mine that isn't very loud...it's just performing on a different frequency. I hope I don't snap the impeller shaft again...

all the best, walter
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 AM   #318
dj2005
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Awesome to see that your Mini M is still going strong! It's fun to see the various scapes over the years.
dj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #319
harilp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome carpet..!! :thumbup:

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 AM   #320
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Great tank. Love the simplistic layout
Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 AM   #321
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

hmmm all my eheims I have are silent...also ive broken my impeller shaft many times while cleaning so I know your pain haha
Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #322
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
hmmm all my eheims I have are silent...also ive broken my impeller shaft many times while cleaning so I know your pain haha
figured it out!! it's silent now!! man that was a POA but I got to the bottom of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Great tank. Love the simplistic layout
thanks so much. I'm digging it too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harilp View Post
Awesome carpet..!! :thumbup:

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2
gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2005 View Post
Awesome to see that your Mini M is still going strong! It's fun to see the various scapes over the years.
thanks a lot dj2005. I was searching through some earlier photos of this tank and ones of this setup and I have learned a great great deal throughout its maturation. I'm liking this scape the most and plan to have it for some time...knock on wood

as for the eheim impeller issues... I have resolved them!! holy mackerel was that a process. I learned a lot about the eheim classic and the solution was extremely simple. when I got the replacement impeller the magnet and the plastic prop were detached. when I first put them together i think i used too much force joining the two so that when the prop spun, the bottom of the plastic prop was touching the housing. so I emptied all of the water out of the filter first....then took the impeller out. made sure that the bushings were seated flush and correctly and checked that there wasn't any random debris in the chamber. side note- I had watched a great little vid online of a kid putting petroleum jelly on the impeller to reduce friction. thought that was very clever, but I didn't go that route. Instead, I just took my time and put the pieces back together gently after I detached the magnet from the plastic prop. I made sure that I didn't use too much force this time when I reattached the magnet to the plastic prop. this gave/added a little bit of clearance...like a paper-thin amount of clearance between the plastic prop and the housing when it is seated on the ceramic rod in the motor. then I carefully hooked everything back up. primed the filter by opening the intake chamber valve first, then the outtake chamber valve which allowed the water to rush in and push any of the air out; crossed my fingers; plugged the power cord into the wall outlet and...VOILA!!

At long last!!! absolutely zero noise. no air bubbles. no random vibrations....didn't have to tip the filter or anything. just running seamlessly. so smooth. what I learned: I was the problem (as I often am). There was absolutely nothing wrong with the filter. who knew that I'd learn a valuable lesson after all. patience patience patience!! now if only I can ride that wave into tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

best to all,

w
Old 01-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #323
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

maybe I spoke too soon. my long winded excitement above aside. woke up and the buzz was back. took it apart again. this time added the petroleum jelly to anything moving with the impeller or on anything that would cause any friction. put it on the o-ring as well. and...too soon to say but....VOILA!! ....(hopefully for good). I noticed that one of the metal fasteners on the outside wasn't secure as well. for now...can't hear the filter but it is working great...fingers crossed.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #324
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

trimmed the dhg belem this morning. it's starting to really fill in in the back where I removed the e acicularis. didn't touch the hydropiper though. I'm letting it get much much thicker before I trim it again. Also had a little issue with some h202 that I used to treat a spot of bga a little while back. the section of hydropiper that was in contact with the h2o2 has been damaged, but the new hydropiper runners are moving in and are slowly replacing the treated bga section.. noticed a couple spots of floating petroleum jelly on the water surface from when I prepped the impeller. not a problem though. I also don't have any fish in this tank. just snails, worms and all the other substrate critters. haven't seen any new gda in a while either. just the usual small sections low to the substrate. still so far so good and all systems go.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 AM   #325
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

almost time to bleach the pipes.

filter is absolutely, 100% silent. I started to hear more noise develop later into the night and was wondering whether it was from the o2 from the plants or co2 bubbles getting trapped that was causing it. I tilted the filter a little and expelled a bunch of bubbles that had been trapped. after that...silence...we are golden.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:27 AM   #326
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

E. hydropiper is touchy when it comes to any chemicals, avoid using them near the plant.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #327
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Still enjoying this tank but as for the Eheim, I read above about it having bubbles? My 2215 will randomly throw out a few seconds of bubbles with a grinding noise. It is not very old; roughly 6 months; and I have never broke or replaced anything.

So to sum up fixing the problem the way you did would be to take out the magnet and gently replace it into the plastic housing with a final lubrication of everything with Vaseline?
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 AM   #328
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

That just means you have some air trapped in there. My 2215 does the same thing until I pick it up while it's running and shake it around until I get all of the air out. Usually only happens after I open it for some cleaning, or after I do a water change and the water level drops below the intake screen
Old 02-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #329
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
E. hydropiper is touchy when it comes to any chemicals, avoid using them near the plant.
learned that lesson the hard way. a temporary fix that caused some die off but nothing too major. not the route I will take in the future though. laziness on my part.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #330
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Still enjoying this tank but as for the Eheim, I read above about it having bubbles? My 2215 will randomly throw out a few seconds of bubbles with a grinding noise. It is not very old; roughly 6 months; and I have never broke or replaced anything.

So to sum up fixing the problem the way you did would be to take out the magnet and gently replace it into the plastic housing with a final lubrication of everything with Vaseline?
my issue was a little different. I had filter issues because I had initially snapped the ceramic rod that the impeller spins on when I was cleaning the filter. I ended up replacing the impeller unit all together because my old impeller had more of an oval hole that the ceramic rod had created because of my neglect.

I agree with trigger below. sounds like you just have air in yours as well. If you tilt your filter the bubbles should dislodge. make sure all of your connections are secure. You can always check your impeller, but if your filter is only 6 months old, probably best not to mess with it unless the noise coming from it is bothersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
That just means you have some air trapped in there. My 2215 does the same thing until I pick it up while it's running and shake it around until I get all of the air out. Usually only happens after I open it for some cleaning, or after I do a water change and the water level drops below the intake screen
+1

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m