Ist 10G Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
MJPease
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ist 10G Planted Tank

Hello, I'm starting my first from scratch 10g planted tank. I originally started this project 2 years ago with a 40g breeder but a few of my large goldfish had to take the 40 breeder. My 55g was getting a little bit over crowded since we decided not to return some of our cherished goldfish back to the pond. I ignored all warnings of doing live plants with Goldfish and put up with our kids rowdy and unruly behavior for a couple of years. The only plant left in the 40b is an anubias b. attached to a piece of driftwood that is ripped to shreds. There is another one that has fared much better in the 55g. I have just decided that as much as they enjoyed living with the plants. I'm not taking it anymore

So I've started a 10g Planted Tank 1/14/2014
20# eco complete
Hydor under gravel heater 25w 14ft
Hydor electronic thermostat
Current Satellite FW LED+ 13W 600 lumens 6500K/ 18 Full Spectrum RGB Led's
Aqua Clear 20 Filter- This filter is running now during the break in period. I think I will change it to a Fluval Nano or U-2 internal with spray bar to decrease surface disturbance. I have questions out as far as which one of these units would be best for a 10 gal. The U-2 is rated for 12-30gal. Input would be appreciated here also. I'm picking up my plants on tuesday 1-21-2014 at a local supplier. their order comes in Mon. evening.
MJPease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good, can't wait for it to start. What plants will you be using?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
MJPease
Algae Grower

Hello, I'm totally open to suggestions in fact I'm taking a photo with me on Tues. I have three pieces of Mopani driftwood set up in the tank now. I'll post pictures on this site as soon as I figure things out.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Simple plants to try:
Anubias (just tie to driftwood, don't plant)
Java fern (same, don't plant it)
Java moss (can be either free-floating or tied down)
Swordplant (some species can be large, these need a lot of root-food)
Vallisnera (Looks like wide grass, gets very long, makes runners and spreads out for you)
Saggitaria (pretty much the same as Vals)
Crypts (spreads for you, most are small and good with fish)
Mopani driftwood will release tannins into the water and tint it. It's considered good, but it can make it hard to see the fish if there's enough wood and tannins. Water changes will keep it under control, and it can actually be a reminder to do water changes.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
MJPease
Algae Grower

Thanks I see that with the Mopani. I pre soaked it for more than a week and changed the water everyday until the water stopped coloring from the tannins. After the third day in the tank the tannins started to release again. I'm wondering if they will ever cease. Before I add the plants I'm going to do a water change 3-4 gal of distilled water. I plan on doing all of my water changes with distilled water on this tank, since we have hard water. 2-gal per change 20%. How does the Mopani effect the water chemistry?
As far as the Anubias and Javafern being tied I've done this before both to driftwood and rock they are the couple of pieces which are still surviving amongst our rable rowsing goldfish. One thing I did wrong then is I used fishing line, I should of used cotton thread and it would have rotted by now. I have also heard since or read about people using super glue. I find this interesting but I want to investigate it more and quickly by Tuesday in fact. Has anyone used this technique for fastening plants?

Last edited by MJPease; 01-19-2014 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention tied plants
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
MJPease
Algae Grower

I want to have the color red in the background. Is there something in or like the anubias variety with a splash of red in it.
Are the Crypts that Beta 132 suggested a carpet variety plant?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
MJPease
Algae Grower

1/21/2014 Plants in the tank with 4g distilled water change+API Quick Start. GH-60 KH-40 PH-7.5 NO2/-0 NO3/-20
1-Amazon Compacta - tied to Mopani
1-Anubias Nana - tied to Mopani
1-Anubias Congensis- tied to Mopani
1-TC Hair Grass - cut in three sections tied to flat rock
4-Moss Balls - 1- tied to rock face/ 1- tied to Mopani/2- Free to roam with the flow
1- Java Fern
3- Crypts
1- Forgot Already
Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
colaudrey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPease View Post
1-TC Hair Grass - cut in three sections tied to flat rock
you tied TC hair grass to flat rock? ive never seen this, wouldn't it be wiser to plant the hair grass so it has a chance to propagate in the sub.? unless im missing something...

we'd love to see pics! sounds like a great start
colaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
MJPease
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaudrey View Post
you tied TC hair grass to flat rock? ive never seen this, wouldn't it be wiser to plant the hair grass so it has a chance to propagate in the sub.? unless im missing something...

we'd love to see pics! sounds like a great start
I'm so glad you commented, I couldn't get TC hair grass to remain seated in the eco-complete. For the sake of not knowing what else to do I decided to tie it to small flat pieces of rock as weight. How would you go about getting the hair grass properly seated in the eco-complete?
I posted some first day planted pictures earlier today. I've since taken better photographs that I need to upload. Thanks and Take Care
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
MJPease
Algae Grower

1/22/2014/ Lighting update : added an additional Marineland Red Accent Hidden 17" LED light for supplemental plant growth front of tank.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
colaudrey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

ah, that makes sense. i have EC too, and my stems would pop up if i was working around them. my EC is gravel capped though, so it helps to hold it down. I don't know about rooting hairgrass in EC though, maybe someone else would know...
colaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
MJPease
Algae Grower

Hello colaudry, If no one else responds it will be a nice experiment at least. My thought is that it may grow off of the flat rock and root. I'm just not sure, hope to find out more. Take Care
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi again, nice start and a good selection of plants!
I can't help you with your tc grass situation, sorry I don't use dirt. Hopefully it will grow
Good luck...
Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
MJPease
Algae Grower

Well I decided after watching a few You Tube videos on planting hair grass to replant the largest section that I had attached to a flat stone. As the videos showed I cut small pcs and inserted them into substrate with a long set of tweezers. I'm leaving the 2 small pcs attached to stone as an experiment.
Today 1-26 /I noticed the beginning formation of hair algae on the highest point of my Mopani driftwood.
I'm considering using 5ml of API Algaefix- Not sure if it would be the right thing to do at this time?
GH=120 KH=40 PH=7.5 NO2=0.5 NO3=20
I'm going to do a 20% 2gal. water change tomorrow. If I had the time I'd do it today.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
MJPease
Algae Grower

1-27-14 added some fish to the tank as follows:
1-Bristlenose Pleco
3-Threestripe Corydoras
1-Assassin Snail
All doing well on the 28th. I will increase the community in 7 days with possibly guppies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.