It's Never In The Same Place For Long 10 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
mistuhmarc
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

It's Never In The Same Place For Long 10 gallon tank

I'm always on the move between Richmond and Virginia Beach since I'm attending college at the moment. During the summer of my freshman year, I decided to restart my 30 gallon back at home in Virginia Beach. This was where I ended up looking up aquascaping by accident. I suddenly became addicted, wanting to make a tank like that at first. So this was my first tank that I've put a lot of work into.

Tank Specs

De-rimmed 10 gallon tank. I actually looked up how to derim a regular tank and it was really annoying to work on in the first place.
18" Finnex Ray2 7000k LED
Paintball CO2 with regular co2 diffuser
ZooMed 501 Canister Filter
Eco-complete substrate topped with aquasoil. I had aquasoil from another tank and decided to use that to top my eco-complete
Manzanita Driftwood
Seiryu Stone

Plants
Rotala sp. Green
Rotala Indica
Marsilea Minuta
Fissidens
Christmas Moss
Willow Moss
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Staurogyne Repens
Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan
Alternanthera Reineckii
L. Aromatica
Hygrophila Pinnatifida

Fish
6x Gertrudae Rainbows
4x Celestial Pearl Danios
1x Peacock Gudgeon
2x Otocinclus
Several amano shrimp
A couple of cherry shrimp
1x Checkerboard Cichlid

I might have a lot of fish in the tank and I've been trying to lower the amount that I have in the tank. I do a 25-30% water change once a week with water from the tap. The drop checker stays at a light green with 1 bps. I dose ferts once a week, but I've recently bought the new liquid EI dosing ferts from nilocg so that I can start to further dose my tank. I spot dose excel here and there in order to kill algae that's been growing in certain places.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (15).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	264033

Any tips on what I should do further? It would be greatly appreciated
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
KribsDirect
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

It looks great! Update with some growth and close up pics as things fill in! Im interested to see how that Ray II works out in that position. They are so bright! Ive thought about derimming as well but never tried it. Yours turned out nice.

Last edited by KribsDirect; 01-22-2014 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: .
KribsDirect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
TonyK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank looks really nice. How do you like the Zoo Med canister on your tank?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
mistuhmarc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
It looks great! Update with some growth and close up pics as things fill in! Im interested to see how that Ray II works out in that position. They are so bright! Ive thought about derimming as well but never tried it. Yours turned out nice.
Yeah, it's a miny algae farm so I'm always having to manually remove more and more algae. I'm hoping to get my marsilea to grow in. I might eventually decide on getting HC, but I do not know yet. Derimming works out well. I've done it on both this tank, and my 5.5 gallon shrimp tank. It depends on the tank though, this tank actually is unlevel at the top because one side is higher than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
Tank looks really nice. How do you like the Zoo Med canister on your tank?
It does the job. I've taken out the carbon and stuffed it with biomedia instead for added bio filtering. I have some lily pipes from aquatic magic coming in soon so that I can have those on this filter. The flow's a little low as opposed to my previous HOB filter I had on it before though.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
mistuhmarc
Planted Member

So I picked up a couple of new fish for my tank from my lfs.

Name:	image (17).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	265170

Name:	image (18).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	265178

Apistogramma Agassizi ver. 'Fire Red'. Really liking the color and hoping they color up more as they grow . In any case, it's only them and some rainbows in the tank now. I brought my other fish back because I wanted to lessen the amount of fish in the tank. Still got the otos and shrimp.

Currently waiting on some ferts from nilocg and some shrimp from Wmc_09.....USPS doesn't seem to like me
Old 01-30-2014, 03:12 AM   #6
mistuhmarc
Planted Member

New update!

Just want to say, thanks to nilocg for his new liquid ferts. I'm planning on dosing with these guys as soon as I do my water changes. I figured since I only have one class on Wednesdays, I'll do my water changes then since I'm usually busy on the weekends. One pump of the macro on one day and one pump of micro on the other day.

Name:	image (25).jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	267321

Here's also some shots of my tank as well after rummaging around a little.

Name:	image (19).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	267329

I added this other piece of driftwood in case the pair of agassizzi decided they wanted a place to hide. Who knows, maybe they'll breed in it as well .

Name:	image (20).jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	267337

The other side of my tank with a piece of manzanita, I'm still kinda torn on what exactly to put around it. The rotala green I have growing behind it is sort of an algae farm =_=...

Then here's some random shots of a few of my fish. My gertrudaes definitely don't seem very shy with my phone. This is all phone quality since I can't afford a nice camera haha

Name:	image (21).jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	267345

Name:	image (22).jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	267353

Name:	image (23).jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	267361

Name:	image (24).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	267369

I put in an order with h4n for some blyxa japonica and some HC. I'm thinking of removing the staurogyne and replacing that with HC since I kind of liked HC better. I might put the staurogyne in my shrimp tank since they're slightly covered with algae and the shrimp would like to nom nom it. Only problem is, it's snowing here..so I have to wait until next week for the order to ship cause the last time I ordered something....my shrimp came in like 6 days later, surprisingly all alive. Got to hand it to cherry shrimp, some of the hardiest little things I've ever taken care of.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
mistuhmarc
Planted Member

Went home to Virginia Beach to stock up on things to add to my tank. Also refilled my co2 paintball tank cause it was almost empty. I'm in need of a solenoid, but I those are expensive...college student problems.

Anyways, I've bought some Osmocote plus roots tabs from herns which should ship tomorrow and bought some bacopa australis and two pots of HC from my lfs (love going to animal jungle, it's like a zoo).

The HC is so green and healthy so I'm hoping it'll establish itself well in the tank. Quick question though, how should I plant the HC in a tank that's already filled? All I ever see is tanks that start from DSM with HC, so I figure it's gonna be a pain in the ass to plant in a filled tank....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.