Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2 - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #76
billbug68
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Week 1 Update:

I'm much happier now that the tank is up and running. Sorry guys, I'm just not a DSM guy... Never really was a fan of it, and I only did it because I had to. Growth is much faster, now. I'm getting quite excited to have a nice carpet again.

Since the filter had been establish for well over a year, the tank cycled in a matter of days. I did daily water changes to keep everything safe for the neons and otos, of course.

So, I have something that I need help with... An ID and treatment would be helpful... I've yet to see this before, and it's growing on the substrate in a few spots...

I've spot treated it with excel several times to no avail. Haven't tried hydrogen peroxide yet, but I have plenty... I guess that's my next plan of attack. I actually even half dosed some algaefix today, to see if it would make any difference. I'm trying to stay on top of any algae issues in this tank, before they get out of hand. Anyways, if anyone could tell me what this might be, I'd appreciate it! Thanks for reading!
billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #77
minority
Algae Grower

I've been meaning to ask for a while: what plants have you got in the background of your original 12g long attempt (green, long leaves, left and right)?

Your original attempt inspired me to get a 12g long.. it's taken a while to get a hold of all the equipment, but I just set it up, 4 days and counting now - I'll have to set up my own tank journal here at some point. And a funny thing... I just noticed really fine algae growing from some plants in mine today. Hope you figure yours out!
minority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #78
billbug68
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minority View Post
I've been meaning to ask for a while: what plants have you got in the background of your original 12g long attempt (green, long leaves, left and right)?

Your original attempt inspired me to get a 12g long.. it's taken a while to get a hold of all the equipment, but I just set it up, 4 days and counting now - I'll have to set up my own tank journal here at some point. And a funny thing... I just noticed really fine algae growing from some plants in mine today. Hope you figure yours out!

That was Blyxa Japonica.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #79
billbug68
Algae Grower

Week 4 Update:

The tank is doing really well for the most part. I'm having a few minor algae issues, but I kind of expected that by starting out with such a small amount of plant mass. Since I had to put my live stock back in the tank after flooding, I wasn't able to pump co2 as much as I would have like to. In turn, all of the immersed growth has slowly died off and has been replaced by new submersed growth.

Here are a few problem areas. It looks like I have some brown and green hair algae.

I tried spot treating with excel and h2o2, but it doesn't seem to be working well from me this time around.

So I decided to pick up some Amano shrimp to help me keep the tank clean, and, well, they look cool too! I added five of them.

And here's another that managed to hoard a piece of flake from the neons.

The Otocinclus have taken to hiding between these two stones during the day.

I think that's pretty much it, other than the updated FTS, so here ya go!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #80
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

how often are you doing water changes? if you filled it up few weeks ago, i'd probably think the tank's not done cycling yet? ime, i had similiar type of algae like you do right now with h.c. and more water changes definitely helped me.

as for the leggy stringy h.c. look. i haven't gotten that completely solved. maybe yours will be different once it's fully filled in, but when mine did fill in.. it wasn't the tight uniformed, about the same sized leaves.

regardless. i love the scape. don't give up!!! h.c. i realized for me at least, required persistence. hehe
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 AM   #81
billbug68
Algae Grower

Default Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
how often are you doing water changes? if you filled it up few weeks ago, i'd probably think the tank's not done cycling yet? ime, i had similiar type of algae like you do right now with h.c. and more water changes definitely helped me.

as for the leggy stringy h.c. look. i haven't gotten that completely solved. maybe yours will be different once it's fully filled in, but when mine did fill in.. it wasn't the tight uniformed, about the same sized leaves.

regardless. i love the scape. don't give up!!! h.c. i realized for me at least, required persistence. hehe

Typically, I do weekly 40-50% water changes. However, I did get busy and missed last weeks maintenance, so that very well could have been part of the problem.

The filter has been up and running for over a year. I kept it running on another tank while this tank was down. This tank actually cycled in less than a week.

The HC doesn't seem like it's going to be leggy. I think it just took some time to adjusted to submersed growth, and now it's starting to grow like crazy. Here's an example of a patch that is filling in well... I think it's a nice testament to just how great the Sat + is for this tank...

With HC, the carpet gets more thick and tight after a few trims.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #82
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

First off, your hardscape is awesome. Hardscaping is always a challenge for me. You did a great job.

Secondly, I've found with DSM that less is more! Less water, less spraying, less uncovering. I basically fill to below the substrate and air out/spray once a week. That's it. Nothing else, but patience.

I hope you keep this tank going and keep us updated. Your tank looks great!
tylergvolk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #83
billbug68
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
First off, your hardscape is awesome. Hardscaping is always a challenge for me. You did a great job.

Secondly, I've found with DSM that less is more! Less water, less spraying, less uncovering. I basically fill to below the substrate and air out/spray once a week. That's it. Nothing else, but patience.

I hope you keep this tank going and keep us updated. Your tank looks great!

Well thank you. Sorry I don't usually update on here. I've made a couple tweaks to the hardscape and added some DHG around and behind the stones. The HC has completely filled in and I have already had to trim it down twice. I was waiting until the DHG filled in to post some more pictures, but I might go ahead and snap a few pics this evening.

Honestly, I'm kind of already over it... Getting a little bored with it. I just read through toms "bucket o mud" thread and it has inspired me to head in a more natural wild looking direction. I was already considering a rescape utilizing some branch wood, and his thread just solidified my feelings. I still, will try to let this completely grow out and get some high quality photos of the final result before breaking it down.

Thanks for the kind words and interest.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #84
billbug68
Algae Grower

Just waiting for the DHG to fill in now. For supposedly being e. acicularis, it's curling over more than I thought it would.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #85
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Man... tank looks immaculate, bro! You keep this well manicured. Must be one of the advantages to having OCD?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #86
billbug68
Algae Grower

Haha, tank is actually dirty IMO... I'm behind on my maintenance!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #87
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Which setting do you keep your Satellite+ on?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #88
billbug68
Algae Grower

Whites red and blue all the way up.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:36 AM   #89
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

What was your photoperiod in the beginning? Now?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #90
billbug68
Algae Grower

Its been 6.5 the entire time it's been flooded, I believe.