[4/18/14]THE HOLDING TANK [was]Old Tank with a New Look (10 galllon) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #31
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
As for the black spots on the ferns, my experience is that when the leaves get mature enough they begin to sacrifice themselves to produce new plantlettes on underside of the leaf. I like to call these new plants "pups"...I don't worry about black on my ferns unless it's clearly algae. I see that as a healthy sign, not a bad one. YMMV.
The first java fern I had (was eaten by pleco =.=) had the black spots but only on the back. These have them on front and back, and none with it on both sides have any babies/plantles growing on the back yet, which was what led me to beleive its damage. A few youngleves (1/2 full height) also have the black spots.

Quote:
Most pharmacies have oral syringes they give away. People use them for administering meds to infants. Might be worth a shot to ask your friendly neighborhood pharmacist for a couple.
I did not think they'd give them away for free. I have a CVS by me but I'd pre-assumed they charge and it would cost more for 1 than to get a pack online. I'll call and ask. ^^
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #32
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Usually goes something like this: "hey I was wondering....I lost/dropped/damaged the syringe I use to give 'brat name here'. Would you hip me another one? Thanks!"

I don't need to go through that but then I've used the same pharm for years so they never blink an eye, but your mileage etc etc..
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #33
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Usually goes something like this: "hey I was wondering....I lost/dropped/damaged the syringe I use to give 'brat name here'. Would you hip me another one? Thanks!"

I don't need to go through that but then I've used the same pharm for years so they never blink an eye, but your mileage etc etc..
Just checked the locan CVS, coinsidentally my friend that works there picked up the phone and best chance at getting some was through her, but they won't give out/sell/replace syringes (since i've not gotten any previously from there), so will just have to wait on the ones I ordered. No biggie, I can handle the wait, and I'm sure the plants can too ^^
Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #34
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Default It begins!

Just a quick update, busy today.
Starting the Seachem regime today, following this chart for starters, with amounts reducded for a 10 gallon tank, and will adapt as needed. Added first dose and Ether (dwarf gourami) is still alive and not showing any gasping so I'm happy and will continue the regime.
Photo time, The products:

The tank:

And my helper today; Boo (old black lab born near Halloween hence his name) .. he did not want to hold still for a photo today..
Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #35
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Default 3 days in

3 days of dosing and so far no issues, the fish seems happy, and no plants have decided to melt or die on me (was most worried about the anacharis being finicky). Currently dosing within first 5-15 minutes of lights turning on in the morning, adding the flourish products to the spillway of the HOB so it gets spread around the tank.
I may half the doses later since these are low light plants but for now I am using:
Excel: 1 ml daily
Flourish: 0.8 ml Monday and Saturday
Phosphate: 1.2 ml Monday and Thursday
Potassium: 0.6 ml Wednesday and Friday
I will see how everything looks after two weeks and adjust dosing as needed then.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #36
pinkman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

looks good so far, the anacharis will grow out of control, thats the last plant id
worry about, got so out of control for me i took it out of my tank completely and gave
it all away
Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #37
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkman View Post
looks good so far, the anacharis will grow out of control, thats the last plant id
worry about, got so out of control for me i took it out of my tank completely and gave it all away
Well I don't think I'll give mine away, I have anacharis in my 55 gallon but my pleco likes to wreck it, so having the ability to put in some fresh growth once in a while would be good, helps keep the nitrates down.
I hope to eventually get some Rotala or maybe Ludwigia as a nicer stem plant for this tank though, I think they'd look much prettier, especially as the other plants fill in more. Anacharis is simply there (and in the 55) since its a fast grower and probably the only non rotten plant I can find at my lfs (seriously... terrible with their plants...)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #38
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Default Nearly 2 weeks..

So it's been about 2weeks since I started the flourish ferts and excel regime and the only noticeable growth has been diatoms and pesky hair algae still growing on the moss. The two large nanas have had one new leaf each but nothing else has grown much. I'm hopeful the java fern will start showing new growth since most have the black spots on each side of the leaves still.
I took a photo a few days ago but haven't put it on the computer yet, will add it here later.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #39
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Most recent photo... not such a grate shot.. diatoms are getting pretty big, especially on the rocks. I went to rip out the argentinain sword in teh back right corner since its leaves are loking so shaby, nope not happening, that bugger rooted its self so although I'm mad its staying so mall I'll leave it... for the moment. I'm half tempted to move it to a small jar with soil and stick it in the windowsill.
I tried saving the frogbit that had been in the 3 gallon, apparently they don't do well in sealed topped aquariums (like air flow)... well apparently they don't like cold no-tech bowls on top of HOBs either. Will probalby just throw them into the pond snail bin to be eaten since they're mostly mush now.

Received some new plants yesterday and will have to re-arrange the scape this Sunday at water change (may clean diatoms off too). I got some val runners 4-8 inches (unfortunately its jungle so it can't become permanent in here), needle leaf java fern, christmas moss, and a few clippings of Hygrophilia sp. tiger from MCHRKiller. Currently I just have most of it shoved in the tank, my husband took a few baby needle leaf and tiny val runners for his 3 gallon (again val won't be perm).
I'm torn about what to do wit the jungle val, as it grows it can get over two feet tall! The only tank I have that can support such heights is my "55" BUT my plant munching monster lives in there so I've been mulling over ways to segregate the plants from him in the tank (and still allow water flow around them) or getting a new tank for the val... bah what to do... Maybe I'll just let them grow in the 10 'till they get too big, then RAOK them and try to find some corkscrew or Italian val.. They look very nice in the smaller tank for now with their 'baby' size.

Anyways will take a new photo Sunday-Monday with re-designed scape layout for the new additions.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #40
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Updated photo and plant list
Java fern regular and needle leaf
Anubias nana
Anacharis
Jungle val plantlets
Hygrophilia sp. tiger
Cardamine lyrata
might be some tiny pieces of ricca but nothing large enough to spot

I did a large cleaning a minor re-scaping on Sunday, had to scrub the stones and glass as diatmos where getting rather nasty.

I removed the mosses and they're currently in a clear plastic container getting some ambient light from the 10 gallon until I figure out what to do with them... May move them to the no-techs. I took off the hairnet and re-tied the moss on the large lava rock, using fishing ling instead of the original two torn pieces of hair net. Argentinian sword also removed and put in a dirted vase along side the no-techs.

The hygro already has some (tiny) new growth showing, and I spotted one or two plantlets forming on the needle leaf (all their rhizomes have at least one if-y leaf that will probably die). The val seems rather mad abou the bleach bath it got when it arrived, I wonder if it will grow new leaves and let the old ones die. I need to put a root tab or two under the vals but I don't want them to explode into growth.

The basket still holding the cardamine and some java plantlets.. I removed the cork since it kept water-logging and sinking, now its kept up by fishing line and suction cups. The cardamine doesn't seem to grow very fast, its still too small for me to let lose in the tank without getting sucked into the filter.

I've also removed the clear polycarbinate hood for a bit, Ether certainly seems to like it gone, has an un-fogged view of me from the surface when I say hello now. I've been trying to get an above view photo of him as his scales seem more green-blue at the surface then from frontal tank view, but the camera is having trouble with focusing on hims with the water agitation and glare from the lights bouncing off the water.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #41
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Trimmed off some of the val leaves tat were getting BBA all along the edges and finally put two root tabs in for the vals. I decided to try stopping the phosphorus regime from seachem for a while since I think I'm making the levels too high in my tank.. will see what (if any) visible effect that has on plant or algae growth. I also took out and washed off the nana leaves again (so prone for algae grr) it seems the tallest leaf on the highest plant wants to keep reaching up higher, its leaf stem has a little kink as it keeps stretching up. What else.. oh yes, the hygro, some new growth is visible on the ones I planted in the corner, but what I'm really happy about is I slapped a leaf and a tip (3-5 tiny leaves) that broke off into the basket that floats at the surface and they already have 2 inch roots. Hoping to get more of a stem growth then will plant them down in the substrate with the others. Will add photo in a day or two.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #42
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Photo time!

First off .. MORE SNOW! Its up to our lab's chest.. its actually snowed another 2 inches since this photo was taken and snow trenches made by my hubby to key parts of the yard so our dog can get around.

The new roots on the hygro, so excited!

And finally tank shot! Need level the gravel and bury the plant 'anchors'.. thinking of getting a background maybe give it a frosted glass look with a window tinter from a hardware store..

peek-a-boo
Old 02-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #43
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Grabbed some stem plants at Petco today (never thought I'd see something there worth buy ion the plant section O.o) but no clue exactly what they are so still trying to figure that out. Have an "ID please" thread here.
So far I have them floating in the tank until I figure out where i want them (will probably cram the vals more tightly together and give these stems the back of the tank). Will upload a photo once they're planted.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #44
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

So I unceremoniously stuffed the new (and still not confirmed species) of stem plants into the tank substrate and will see how they do. There is already new growth (all of it green rather than red or orange-ish-green). I'm hoping once they get a few inches of growth in the tank I can properly identify them. Pardon the diatom build up on the glass, letting it form for (possible) future otto purchase... The blue blur is the dwarf gourami zipping by, checking out the gravel/plants for missed food pieces... For some reason all the "clear" suction cups I've bought have developed a pink hue in the rubber. They are in different tanks and some have fish food some don't (fauna-less tank) so its not food die mis-coloring them.. wonder what it is...

And a photo of the hygro for the heck of it.. lots of new roots

On a random note, here's a photo of a rather large rabbit that was sitting on the sidewalk next to the driveway. It did not have any interest in moving.. even when Boo (black lab pictured in posts above) went and sniffed it. He's a good dog and did not bite/paw/pester the rabbit (he left it when I told him "leave it") but he did leave a wet smear on it's ear... Mr. (or Mrs.) Rabbit does not seem happy about that haha. "Why did you let that THING get snot on my ear?" *glare*
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #45
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

I restarted the phosphorous regime last Sunday as cutting it made no difference in algae growth. I am considering up-ing the excel amount slightly but not sure yet.

Speaking of algae the diatoms are going mad on my glass, and somewhere along the way I got ramshorns on my plants and they seem to like working through the diatoms, leaving clear trails behind them.. camera will not focus on them as they're so freakin tiny.

Determined the bottoms of most few the new (still unverified) stem plants had rot so pinched those off and letting them float until some new roots form. Both types have new growth though its slow, but if they had rotted bottoms I wouldn't expect 2+ inches of new growth already.

I checked my little floating basket and the hygro leaves (2 singles) have grown nice 2 inch+ roots and have several tiny new leaves growing (not where near the size of the initial leaf it formed from which is now dieing off (new growth looks fine)). Some of the old leaves (on the substrate planted) hygro are also dieing, I'm guessing they aren't getting the best light, might move the plant closer to the center and stuff some val in the back corner. I notice the new growth is at a sharp tilt (nearly 90 degree angle) to try to get directly under the light, looks kind of cool I think.

The Cardamine lyrata seems to be trying to grow emmersed as its laves stay above the water, and its tiny viny-ness likes to tangle around the java fern plantlet and java fern rhizome (with tiny new leaves started after being bare for a few weeks).

I also have something.. that kinda of looks like duckweed but I don't see how it could be as I never added duckweed to this tank and its leaves seem more narrow than rounded.. also lok like a butterfly (kinda cute), there's 3 and they're very tiny (camera will not let give me a non blurred zoomed in photo). If it is duckweed.. wtf.. seriously.. it died in my other tanks (had covers so I suspect starved for fresh air flow above water) and some how hitch-hiked over here and is growing slower than pouring molasses in winter..

One of the larger nans has anew leaf, and looks like the starts of a second new one. (coudln't get an unblured photo too much diatom build up on the glass). The two tiny nana I saved with virtually no rhizome haven't done much.. I'm suspecting they're just limping along but not going to grow any.. going to give them till summer to show some growth, if not probably will toss them since they're rhizomes are too close to non-exsistant to do anything..

I'm waiting until its warm out then ordering more plants for the 10 gallon and probably going to gut the java fern and val to raok after getting the new stuff in.

"look at me! lok at me!" *photo bomb*

Tags
planted aquarium, tank journal