Light settings with apex controller
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Build My LED

Old 12-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
JParisi48
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Light settings with apex controller

Just curious to what you guys have your light % set at and how long your photoperiod is? I have a 75g tank growing s repens, ludwiga sp red, some rotala, bacopa and a few others. I am playing with the settings trying to get dialed in. I had it at 100 for a while then had some serious algae, toned it down to around 50% with better results. 90 degree beam angle with tank mounts. Would love to here input and any advice thanks
JParisi48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParisi48 View Post
Just curious to what you guys have your light % set at and how long your photoperiod is? I have a 75g tank growing s repens, ludwiga sp red, some rotala, bacopa and a few others. I am playing with the settings trying to get dialed in. I had it at 100 for a while then had some serious algae, toned it down to around 50% with better results. 90 degree beam angle with tank mounts. Would love to here input and any advice thanks

Yeah you definitely don't want to be running it at 100% right off the bat. Are you running CO2?

Ether way if you are good at 50% I would hold at that until you know you are not getting Algae then you can slowly increase it. Just slowly add 5% each couple of weeks until you see algae growing again then dial back to the previous weeks settings that wasn't growing algae. I have my Apex set to run my lights from 10-7 PM. 10 AM to 12 PM it goes from 10-60%. Then from 12-1 PM 1 hour ramp up from 60% to 75%. I run 75% from 1-3 PM for my noon burst. 3-4 PM ramp back down to 60% until 5 PM. Then 5-7 PM I go from 60% to 10% which is the lowest they will dim. Then they go off at 7 PM from 10% by cutting the power to the EB8. At 6 PM though my Moonlights will start coming up and run from 6-10 PM for evening viewing. So as the lights are dimming off the moonlights are dimming up for a sunset transition.

I am running two 10K Planted originals on a 90G.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
jrman83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Yeah you definitely don't want to be running it at 100% right off the bat. Are you running CO2?

Ether way if you are good at 50% I would hold at that until you know you are not getting Algae then you can slowly increase it. Just slowly add 5% each couple of weeks until you see algae growing again then dial back to the previous weeks settings that wasn't growing algae. I have my Apex set to run my lights from 10-7 PM. 10 AM to 12 PM it goes from 10-60%. Then from 12-1 PM 1 hour ramp up from 60% to 75%. I run 75% from 1-3 PM for my noon burst. 3-4 PM ramp back down to 60% until 5 PM. Then 5-7 PM I go from 60% to 10% which is the lowest they will dim. Then they go off at 7 PM from 10% by cutting the power to the EB8. At 6 PM though my Moonlights will start coming up and run from 6-10 PM for evening viewing. So as the lights are dimming off the moonlights are dimming up for a sunset transition.

I am running two 10K Planted originals on a 90G.
I'm impressed that you can remember that to type it out. All seems a bit much. I just plan to run mine at 75% to begin with (w/CO2) with a 7hr lighting period and work from that. I ordered a 10000k for my 75g but haven't rcvd it yet.
Eheim Pimp #448
jrman83 is offline   Reply With Quote