Getting a new pair RX glasses...online...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Getting a new pair RX glasses...online...

Well, money is tight and the last time I have my glasses done cost me $350, Hugo Boss and high index lenses. That was 7 years ago. And the frame is about to fall apart soon. I think I can get another pair of Hugo Boss with high index lenses for about $200 online.

There lies the problem, my eye prescription record. Looks like is possible that the eye doctor would refuse to give me the record of my eye prescription. Probably fearing that I may take the prescription record and to use it to get a new pair of glasses from somewhere else. Of course, I figure that I can give them a "health insurance reason" for me to obtain the prescription record. Anyone seeing any potential problem? I don't want to argue with them about I have the right to own a copy of my prescription record.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 AM   #2
tumbleweedz
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I don't know it its a state or federal law, but here a prescription must be given when requested.

I always use a company out of China whose name starts with "Z" you can pm me for the site. Good luck JD
Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweedz View Post
I don't know it its a state or federal law, but here a prescription must be given when requested.

I always use a company out of China whose name starts with "Z" you can pm me for the site. Good luck JD
You have PM....

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
KribsDirect
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I found this, maybe it will help if you end up having to back up your request with the Dr.

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1443/
KribsDirect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweedz View Post

love that site
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Even if they give it to you, you're going to need to get a new exam and rx for whoever is making your new glasses. Pretty sure the rx is only good for a year.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
spidangular
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Even if they give it to you, you're going to need to get a new exam and rx for whoever is making your new glasses. Pretty sure the rx is only good for a year.

I use a website for three years with the same rx. They treat it like you're entering in your pants size. They don't care that your rx is out of date, the site I use doesn't even ask for the rx date. You simply enter the specs and they send you new specs. They're not obligated to verify your rx and they're not exactly looking for a reason to turn away business. Don't be afraid of breaking the rules. What govt agency is out looking to bust people for lens prescription fraud? "Ain't nobody got time for dat!"

The website I use is us based and excellent customer service. The website states the price of the glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spidangular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
ElviaRogers
Algae Grower

Yep... online purchasing is a brilliant idea. I do most of my shopping from online stores. The prices are way less than the market and the collection is just brilliant. You should definitely buy those glasses online.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:06 AM   #9
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe things are different here... Just like you're entitled to all the info in your medical file, you pretty much own your prescription. They are YOUR eyeballs after all. If you're worried just ask them before you book an appointment.

I stopped paying crazy prices about 3 prescriptions ago, I love Zenni. They even have a cool tool that lets you upload pics of your face to try on frames lol.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post

From a medical standpoint. I think my local Cohen Fashion is offering a $20 eye exam coupon. BTW, even some sites would use your current lens to get your measurements.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
Maybe things are different here... Just like you're entitled to all the info in your medical file, you pretty much own your prescription. They are YOUR eyeballs after all. If you're worried just ask them before you book an appointment.

I stopped paying crazy prices about 3 prescriptions ago, I love Zenni. They even have a cool tool that lets you upload pics of your face to try on frames lol.

I am more concerned about being BS by the store. I don't take well when people BS me.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
junaid368
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I don't see why your doc is being a douche by refusing to give you an rx. Most eye doctors I've went to have had no problem doing so. If all fails, I think walmart does some relatively cheap eye exams. Me personally, I'm not much of a brand name type person, so I get my glasses in the $30 to $40 range, and the last me a few years, provided my prescription doesn't change.

Last edited by junaid368; 01-16-2014 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: .
junaid368 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Its likely because the shop views this as losing a customer. To be honest, we all have the right to choose whom we give business to so this behavior is a tad counter productive to the uneducated.

My mother recently broke her Prada frames from a minor incident between the butt and a chair. The eyeglass shop wanted $599 and refused to produce the model number of the style when asked. We jotted down the details from the frame and found the frame for $140 on the interweb. This goes to show this behavior by these shops is not uncommon...
Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have had two exam's and two different prescription's in last four year's.
Eyesight may mean you need upgrade, which you may not realize until you have new exam.
This is not something I would be looking to save a few buck's on.
Sure, I would shop around for frame's, but not the exam which prescription is based on.
roadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

What is your experience with Costco eye exam? Originally I was thinking about using Cohen Fashion with their $20 eye exam coupon. Something tells me that the price is only good for getting the glasses from them at the same time. I don't need aggravations and making a scene in the store.

I just called my local Costco and their independent eye doctor is charging about $60 for the exam and they give you the prescription record.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.