Simple 29 (56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
holoublahee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Simple 29 (56k)

Hello all,

So, sever months ago I found a 29 gallon for free on the curb. I finally got around to setting it up. It's been running for about a couple weeks after the cycle with some moss and java ferns for plants. My hope is to create a relatively simple tank with easy to grow plants so that when I leave for college I don't leave my parents with too much work The light right now is just a regular CFL bulb, but I have a Marineland LED fixture I will put on it in a couple days.

I added 3 Kuhli loaches last week, and they love swimming in and out of the nooks and crannies in the driftwood.

The tank will become significantly more interesting over the next week:
I have some more java fern, mosses, and fissidens courtesy of flyfshrmn98 coming in wednesday. And I ordered 4 electric blue rams, which should get here friday!!! (I will definitely post pictures of them when they arrive)

I'm thinking of adding 15 or so Corydoras habrosus or maybe 7 Panda corys (I can't decide ) and a shoal of small schooling fish--I don't really want anything that gets over 2" because I'm afraid they'll draw too much attention from the EBRs.

What do you guys think of the stock for this 29 gallon? Any suggestions for the schooling fish?
holoublahee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Very simple, and also very nice tank too!!!
I like the look of the sand and driftwwod together. I think the cory will love it. I'm thinking of putting ember tetra schooling will suit the tank.
Look for some anubias to tie on the wood, it will look awesome...
junglefowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
holoublahee
Algae Grower

I added a bit more java fern to the bunches and threw in some java moss. Everything seems to be coming in pretty well. I also changed out the light for a marineland LED whcih makes everything look a bit nicer.

I was thinking of adding some leaf litter to the bottom left corner. Do you guys think it would look good? Can I just use the dead, dried maple and oak leaves from my back yard for this, or should I look for something in particular?

After a few weeks of waiting around because of bad weather the electric blue rams finally arrived and they look great! They've been in the tank for a little over a week now and they seem to have transitioned just fine.

Sorry this is blurry. I thought it looked kind of cool--I may try to get a similar shot in focus later.

The tank is currently stocked with 3 otos, 5 EBRs, 3 kuhli loaches, and 8 C. habrosus. Over the next 2-3 weeks I plan on adding a school of 10 or so ember tetras to add a bit more action to the upper levels of the tank.

The corys and kuhlis decided to hide when I was taking pictures, so I didn't get any shots of them, but they are doing great too!

Last edited by holoublahee; 03-05-2014 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: photos
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
pseudomugil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love that piece of wood, looks nice, simple and beautiful.
Regarding adding leaf litter, Oak and beech leaves work best, as well as Indian almond leaves (but unless you live in the tropics, you would have to buy the IALs)
pseudomugil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice rams their beautiful!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 AM   #6
holoublahee
Algae Grower

Thanks! I'll look around for some beech and oak leaves in a park nearby.
It's actually 2 pieces of wood that I tied together. Hopefully some more of the moss on the tall branch will start to grow in soon.

GMYukonon24s, thank you I really like them. They're become a bit more confident and now even come up to the front of the tank when it's feeding time!

Hopefully the ember tetras I special ordered will come in to the LFS tomorrow! I'll be sure to post pictures if they do.

I forgot to mention, the floaters were from an RAOK. They are salvinia minima, amazon frogbit, and a bit of duckweed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.