Office Nano: 3 Gallon Iwagumi - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #106
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgie28 View Post
What lily pipes are you using can't seem to find them online, also are you using the stock tubes with the filter?
Look up ebay item 250470243740. That's what I got. I had to get longer tubing as well for the filter. I just brought it to home depot and got the same size.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #107
daygoboiz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I just read the whole thread and I hope you come up with a solution soon. I've attempted to grow hc for 2x and failed at the end. Just ordered everything and doing another attempt next week. Your thread is very educated for me. Once again Good Luck!
daygoboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #108
JEFF9922
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would give anything to have a work desk like that with that nano ,it would make my days so nice looks great

I brought in the D7000 today to get a much better full tank shot.

And I must say, it's just a joy to see this little nano tank next to me at work all day.

[/QUOTE]
JEFF9922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #109
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

That is a cool little tank there

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #110
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! I really enjoy having it at work. It's a fun conversation piece too. The tank doesn't look nearly as good as the glamour shot I took after I flooded it. There is lots of brown from HC die off from the massive diatom outbreak, but it's slowly recovering. To green it up I added a several stems of Rotala 'Gia Lai' (it has pretty tiny leaves) and some hydrocotyle tripartita japan and 2 little anubias nana petite. Not sure if I'll keep that stuff in there long term or not, but I'm guessing not.

I just did a glass cleaning and water change over lunch. I'll post an up to date pic after the water clears.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #111
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Thanks! I really enjoy having it at work. It's a fun conversation piece too. The tank doesn't look nearly as good as the glamour shot I took after I flooded it. There is lots of brown from HC die off from the massive diatom outbreak, but it's slowly recovering. To green it up I added a several stems of Rotala 'Gia Lai' (it has pretty tiny leaves) and some hydrocotyle tripartita japan and 2 little anubias nana petite. Not sure if I'll keep that stuff in there long term or not, but I'm guessing not.

I just did a glass cleaning and water change over lunch. I'll post an up to date pic after the water clears.
Cool! Yeah, every time I would set up a tank on a set or in a business everyone and their mother wanted to come talk and ask question :P People get very interested when they see an aquarium. Its awesome, people get very excited.

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #112
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

I just snapped this with my iPhone, so it's not the best pic. The water is also still a little cloudy from my cleaning and water change, but this is how it looks today:

Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #113
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey, any updates?
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #114
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Hey, any updates?
Sure... I went on vacation for a week and it turned into a bit of an algae farm. I had noticed that some hair algae blooming up just before I left, but I couldn't do anything about it. I had a guy at work take care of the tank for me, but it got bad by the time I was back. Not his fault at all, there was nothing he could do.

I pulled out all of my CRS on Wednesday and put them in a temporary 1/2 gallon tank I keep here for emergencies. I put the media and sponges from the filter with them, and then did 2 back to back over the top H2O2 treatments with water changes in between. Then I did a double dose excel treatment.

After changing the water a final time yesterday, I put the CRS back in, and put the media and sponges back in the filter. Hopefully the algae dies over the next few days. It already looks way better this morning.

The plants all look okay. The HC is still doing quite good, considering no CO2 and low lighting. I'll take a pic next week after the algae goes away.

As for the future of this tank, I'm contemplating a rescape. When I went backpacking/fishing in the Big Horns, I managed to grab some really cool nano sized gnarly wood that would be fun to work with. If I do this, I'll abandon the Iwagumi style and probably stop using HC and try something totally different. It'd be a while out though, because I'd need to pre-cycle the aquasoil that I'd use.

I'm also contemplating swapping out the tank completely for a 3.4 gallon low iron truAQUA. It'd give me a bit more room, and the low iron tank I have at home spoils me.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #115
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

That'll be cool! Get the new tank maybe don't rescape. Just put the new tank next to this one.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #116
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

How is this tank coming along?

Are you still using Excel Only?
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #117
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

It's all actually going quite well.

I haven't been using anything for the last few months. Since my last post, I have not added a single drop of excel or ferts. It's now 100% low tech. I had some HC die off after I treaded for algae, but since then it's been doing just fine. I haven't even trimmed a single plant.

All I do now is scrub a the front glass every couple of weeks. I'm getting almost no algae (just a dusting on the side and back glass), and everything seems happy. I haven't scrubbed the sides or back since the treatment, so what you can see below is 3 months worth.

I might start dosing a tiny bit of ferts and excel soon so that I can stimulate some more HC growth, but otherwise everything is going well.

I only have my iPhone with me today, so this is the best pic I can muster:

Old 01-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #118
quark
Algae Grower

Nice tank! I'm setting up a similar sized tank, but cant seem to find a good sized lily pipe from [Ebay Link Removed] The item number doesn't exist any more, do you recall the vendor or have a link perhaps? thanks.
quark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 AM   #119
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark View Post
Nice tank! I'm setting up a similar sized tank, but cant seem to find a good sized lily pipe from [Ebay Link Removed] The item number doesn't exist any more, do you recall the vendor or have a link perhaps? thanks.
I'm pretty sure ebay item 161115780749 are the pipes I have. Mine are 10mm. They are selling them for $16.50 each with free (and likely incredibly slow) shipping from HK.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #120
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Do you have shots on how you mounted your ZooMed 501? I'm looking to hide mine also.