"Snag" 60P - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #16
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)

That's a really dense HC carpet! Impressive growth. I like the comparison shots with the HC cut out and not. It's like an inch deep.
Asu1776 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asu1776 View Post
That's a really dense HC carpet! Impressive growth. I like the comparison shots with the HC cut out and not. It's like an inch deep.
Yeah, it was pretty uniform in thickness until the Apistos remodeled. Lesson learned, don't let the HC get too thick next to the stones. Need to taper when I trim the carpet. Thanks for the comment.
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Your tank is so lovely dense and lush! I wish I was experinced enough to try high tech set ups like this!
How tall are those pygmy chain swords btw? Did the hc have any trouble growing around the areas under the swords shade?

Last edited by AquaAurora; 02-03-2014 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: typo
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

Nice job growing the plants in there!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Your tank is so lovely dense and lush! I wish I was Excedrin enough to try high tec set ups like this!
How tall are those pygmy chain swords btw? Did the hc have any trouble growing around the areas under the swords shade?
Thanks for the comment. The chain swords are growing to a length of 10-12". The HC doesn't grow as thick at the base of the baby tears but does continue to advance into their boundary. The chain swords sent runners everywhere so I'm constantly trimming them out of the carpet and out of the baby tears areas.
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Nice job growing the plants in there!
Thank you. Aquatic gardening is alot of work but I get alot of satisfaction from it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #22
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Default Update

The HC carpet over the last 5-6 weeks has been removed in sections and replanted as plugs. The Apistos & Neos burrowing under the thick roots slowly caused exposed edges to lift so, recycling the carpet was a necessity to maintain the scape. Trimmed the H. glomeratus into smaller bushes to expose the covered rock work. Also thinned out the E. tenellus and shrunk the footprint to allow the pearl weed to expand.

Replenished the diminishing cardinal tetra school and the 6 remaining A. cacautoides have developed into 2 alpha males and 4 sub dominant males that co-exist because of the lack of females. The I. kerri school is down to 5 with 1 developing into a male (adipose fin dark colored on the males, light brown on females).

Plan on removing the current glass CO2 diffuser and bubble checker and replacing with a brass check valve/bubble checker and a inline CO2 atomizer to be installed on the intake line. This type of CO2 set up appears to be more efficient with CO2 saturation as opposed to the glass diffuser in the tank. Welcome any comments on this change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1932.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	262378  

Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #23
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

I also have the inline atomizer ordered, wouldn't you want it on the outflow?

I put a bubble counter on my co2 regulator and opt for the inline atomizer try to remove more things from the tank.
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #24
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
I also have the inline atomizer ordered, wouldn't you want it on the outflow?

I put a bubble counter on my co2 regulator and opt for the inline atomizer try to remove more things from the tank.
Hi Down_Shift, I too want to remove from view any plumbing from display but the main reason for going to an inline CO2 atomizer is to be more efficient with CO2 saturation. Placing the atomizer on the intake side increases contact time with the tank water and the impeller in the canister filter assists with the agitation and further atomizing the CO2 gas.

I am currently running this CO2 set up on another project tank (12L) and it appears to be working well. In fact, I may turn down the bubble rate to > 1bps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	262402  

Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

I might have to try that. I was afraid the co2 gas would mess with the canister and burp bubbles all the time. (Like when you shake the canister to get the air out)
Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #26
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Default Burping

Quote:
I might have to try that. I was afraid the co2 gas would mess with the canister and burp bubbles all the time. (Like when you shake the canister to get the air out)
The issue of burping could be an issue if the bps rate is high. Right now with my 12L tank where I'm experimenting with this layout, I have the bps rate @ approx 1.5. The burping for this set up occurs about every 80-90 secs with the output double tap throttled to 50% open. The burping and slight presence of minute CO2 mist bubbles is acceptable at this point because I just flooded the tank, want to maximize CO2 for emerged HC and there are no animals present. In about 2 weeks when I'll intro some wild Neos & dial down the bps rate to >1, using the Neos as bio monitors to determine ideal CO2 injection rate. I do enjoy the presence of mist bubbles and periodic burst of more bubbles. It enhances water movement effect in the tank as in a flowing stream.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #27
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

I have the same atomizer as you picture in the 12l. So I guess I'll invert the atomizer and give method a try!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 AM   #28
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Quote:
I have the same atomizer as you picture in the 12l. So I guess I'll invert the atomizer and give method a try!
Good luck and will be watching the progress on your 60P.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #29
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

Default Tank Update

Super Bowl Sunday update pic. Not much more to note other than HC continues to fill in. Will be shaping/trimming the H. glomeratus bushes this week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	269097  

Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #30
harilp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

:what: :what: WoW :what: :what:

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.