75 gallon - new aquarium - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #61
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Keep a close eye on them. Anything I have ordered from AAG ends up dead, fish, plants it doesn't matter. Not to mention his pricing is outrageous. I will never make a purchase from him again. In fact I am about to email him regarding my plant order that came melted. Half the fish I have ordered from him are dead. Ordered the Algae squad 60 and I may only have 4-5 fish left from that. The Cherries were all but dead when I got them and the back smelled to the high heavens. Gave him the benefit of the doubt and placed another order since he makes a big claim and still not better. I won't be ordering from there anymore.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #62
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Last night I put in an Eheim Skim350 to help keep the oily scum off the top to the tank. As I was watching it, I was presently surprised to see all the bits and pieces of plants that had been floating around get sucked in. This morning I thought I should clean it out because of the number leaves. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up (luckily over a bowl) and out flopped an Oto. I quick got him back in the aquarium and looked inside. There were 2 Amanos and a snail. It's good to get your heart rate up once in awhile.

Maybe I will run it after trimming or a water change for a little bit but not keep it in all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
jlfkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #63
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you have wet/dry vac? I use one after trimming and will adding water after a water change to surface skim and it works great. Haven't sucked anything up yet.

Got my German and Bolivian Rams in and have them acclimating now to my holding tank. Maybe I can get lucky and having baby rams soon. Have you got any fry yet?
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #64
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Do you have wet/dry vac? I use one after trimming and will adding water after a water change to surface skim and it works great. Haven't sucked anything up yet.

Got my German and Bolivian Rams in and have them acclimating now to my holding tank. Maybe I can get lucky and having baby rams soon. Have you got any fry yet?

No GBR fry yet though they are working on a hole again. So maybe before too long - we will see. I do however already have Endler fry in the QT. They came in yesterday so I don't know what took them so long. I have seen two so far. Who knows how many there are....

Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 AM   #65
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Week 4

Not a great picture however this is the side view.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #66
jlfkona
Algae Grower

I would like to introduce you to Pearl. I picked up Pearl when she was a baby. I had her in my 5 gallon with my CPDs. She has never behaved much like a Betta. She would hang out with the CPDs.

About a week ago, I moved her to the 75 gallon aquarium. As I was watching all the Endler fry in the QT, I thought I might need someone to make a meal of some of them. In researching it - most people said GBRs won't eat Endler fry (they do) and the Betta will.

Today we moves the Endlers (21) and most of their fry (95) into the tank. Pearl was so happy. She has been schooling with them all day. What's really funny is the Endlers have started to follow her.

- poor cell phone picture.

Anyone else have a betta who thinks she is a small schooling fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #67
jlfkona
Algae Grower

We have eggs. The GBRs are spawning again. We will see if we get fry this time. They decided to uproot some HC right along the front of the aquarium.

And the what are you looking at shot.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #68
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Week 9

The HC isn't thriving. After doing a bunch of research - I think it is the CO2. I increased it today and modified the water flow. Opinions?

Close ups...

Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #69
jlfkona
Algae Grower

My anubias is flowering!

Old 03-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #70
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Week 12

Old 03-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #71
zetvi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

If i remember it right i read somewhere that tom barr said 3 times a week large water change will help boosting the hc growth. Need confirm though.
zetvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #72
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Week 13 updates

Last week my female GBR died. My male lost most of his color for a few days. Today he is looking good.

I debated on getting another however I decided to add gold barbs. I may be moving my GBR to my 20 gallon cherry barb tank since they handle the warmer temps.

I trimmed some of the Staurogyne Repens today and decided to fill in the corner where I originally had HC.

Full tank picture - I looked back at the first week pictures. I really like how things are filling in. Just need to figure out the grown cover....

Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 AM   #73
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Week 15

Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #74
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Week 22

I have been fighting BBA, green hair algae and a couple others. I have been focused on managing light and balancing CO2. I am pretty sure that the CO2 was still too low. I started adding Excel and saw an improvement. I have been increasing CO2.

I gave up on the HC. I replaced it with Staurogyne Repens. That seems to be doing well.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #75
jlfkona
Algae Grower

I am looking for ideas. I planted wisteria in both back corners of the tank to help take up some nutrients. It has filled in however I am not sure I like it.

I am not sure on the colors. Pretty close to the same green throughout with the exception of the red.

I want the moss tree to stand out a bit more.

I definitely need to thin the java fern.

Any ideas would be appreciated.