200gal science classroom project tank at Delta High School
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Dr. Brand
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

200gal science classroom project tank at Delta High School

In my science classroom at Delta High school we've been working on creating a freshwater aquascape tank with a chambered refrugium which will serve as a resource and data collection tank. While I've had a variety of freshwater and reef tanks all my life I was hoping to create a centerpiece which will be actively be used in classroom projects throughout the year. Even though I've got some technical skill with aquariums and biology, a planted aquascape on this level is a new adventure for all of us. The expert advice and support we have received from other hobbiest and industry leaders has been amazing. With Limited classroom budgets and personal funds, we had to start by seeking the support of the aquarium industry to support our project. The generosity and support received was beyond expected and I want to first thank the following companies:

Marineland- donated our 200gal deep dimension tank, stand, hood, 40 gal refrugium filter tank, pump, fish food, and heaters.

Coralife- donated three T5ho units with led lunar lights for the main tank and refrugium, a pump, and algae scraper.

Current USA- donated T5ho bulbs for our planted tank

Seachem- donated a variety of planted tank chemicals and supplements. They also are sending us Seachem Flourite black substrate for our tanks and we just are covering the shipping cost.

Bell grants- for supplying funding to custom build our refrugium filtration system and science classroom water test kits.

Now that we've received all of our structural elements we've begun construction.
The pumping lines get installed. Using 1" PCV with inline check valve and CO2 atomizer on the input and two separate 1" drains into our stage 1 filter box on top of the refrugium.

Below is the start of our custom 16" x 10" x 10" filter box which sits on top of the main sump. It will have two 1" spray bars which stray over a course filter media tray. This media tray slides out on one side for easy maintenance. Under this level will be a 5" deep bio ball filter section with a 2" drain down into the main sump area.

Directly below the upper filtration box is our 40gal three chambered refrugium filter tank. The first chamber will be a fluid sand filter, chamber two will grow Anacharis for use by all the science teachers at our school, and the last chamber will contain our return pump and media.

Below are two Manzanita branches that I found online and then drilled and mounted them to a flat stone. We hope to make a Phoenix moss tree with these branches.

We're now shopping for our plants and seeking plant donations. Based on the recommendations of other hobbyist a we hope to utilize the following plants:

Indian red sword (Echinodorus Indian red)
Blyxa auberti
Cryptocoryne blasii
Cabomba purple (red) (Cabomba pulcherrima)
Blyxa japonica
Micro sword (we need a lot of this for the foreground)
Phoenix moss (needed for a large moss tree)
Vallisneria spiralis (I love the look of this for a background and haven't found a source yet)

As for fish, we plan to have a large school of GM neon danios, 4-6 Koi Angelfish, many Otocinclus & Nertite algae eaters, and hopefully a variety of Rainbow fish.

Any advice, support, or donations towards our project will be greatly appreciated! I'll keep adding to the post as our project progresses.

Dr. Lance Brand
Delta high school
lbrand@delcomschools.org

The hard scape got installed this week and we would love to hear everyone's feedback on our setup. We hope to being a dry start with plants next week.

UPDATES

We tried to utilize a dry start method to give our plants and moss opportunity to get off to a strong start. However after about a week of misting our covered tank, we started having major issues with fungus and mold growth. We eventually had to remove much of the hardscape and soak it in a mild bleach solution and then dechlorinate thoroughly before rebuilding everything.

We gave up on the dry start method and proceeded to plant any of the plants we had received then filled and started our tank filtration system.

Our tank has clearing up nicely and the plants we developing nicely. We of course did have several plants loose many of their initial leaves, but they all showed signs of good new growth. At this point we don't have our CO2 system up and running yet because we haven't received our tank yet. We have been supplementing our tank with Seachem Flourish & Flourish Excel with good results thus far, but I'm hoping we can have our CO2 injection system up an running very soon.

At about week 2 our tank started to have major issues with Diatoms that were growing on the sand. We thought we had utilized non-silica based sand but our Diatom growth said otherwise. I loved the look and contrast that the sand provided in the foreground, but the Diatom growth was pretty bad and we had to siphon it all out and replaced it with black gravel. Thus far my students and I are loving our classroom tank and we look forward to more favorable weather so we can continue to add more plants and fish.

Last edited by Dr. Brand; 01-19-2014 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Updated images and many changes along the way
Dr. Brand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
j03yYunG
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (52/100%)

Very cool. I would be careful with the shrimp + Angelfish. They'll just eat them if you don't have enough of them / hiding spots.
j03yYunG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Yeah, without a doubt the angelfish will eat the shrimp.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Dr. Brand
Algae Grower

The hard scape went in this week! What do you think?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I think the hard cape looks good mate. You have the opportunity with that tank to have some crazy awesome sword plants. So I definitely say go with those. Idk what your plans are as far as planting goes. But crypt Blassi for me has been a painfully slow grower. So if your planning on it filling in a big space. I would get more of them. Alternatively you could get crypt wendtii 'mii oya' or some other wendtii species and it would be a much more lush bush looking crypt.

Whatever plants you get just make sure you get more than you think you need. Because planting large tanks like that , you think you are getting a lot of plants, but you'd be surprised how little a lot seems like when it actually gets in the tank.
Good luck with everything!!
Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Dr. Brand
Algae Grower

We've gone through many changes over the last month and I wanted to post our latest progress.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 AM   #7
baldy1970
Algae Grower

Very cool. Is the class is looking for plants?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
baldy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Tank needs plants...........like 4-5x what you have.

Angel fish= bad idea, Red Cherry shrimp and Amano shrimp = good idea.
Bushy nose plecos: good idea
Otto Cats= good idea

Better them than you.

Tags
aquascape, donation, school project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.