Any local updates?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Maryland

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
KurtG
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Any local updates?

I went to House of Tropicals and Aquarium Depot this past weekend. I picked up a new tank at Aquarium Depot (75g) and between HD, Ace, and House of Tropicals some substrate material. Wasn't ready for plants when I hit the Depot (they had a fair selection). Not much on dry goods.

I hadn't been to House of Tropicals before and was surprised at the poor conditions. The plants were awful and the fish not much better. Aquarium Depot was in much better conditions. I did get a couple bags of substrate to mix with my HD & Ace Hardware purchases

Any other must go stores? We are relatively new to Annapolis, so don't know of other ones within the same drive time.
KurtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
dthb4438
Shrimp fanatic

PTrader: (67/100%)
Default Maryland stores

Hey there!!!

There are a few of us here in Maryland on this forum and I found some of them. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pr...pm&pmid=362510 If you look at the bottom of "bigstick120" post, they have a club, http://www.gwapa.org/ and ask any of them for some places to shop in Annapolis area. I live really far south in the St. Mary's county area of Maryland by the Navy base. There is absolutely NO place to shop down here unless you go to a mom and pop place or a Petco. They both suck bad. If I were to drive up to Annapolis and back with some fish, they would be in the bag for two hours. I don't want to do that. The club members are really nice and helpful. Good luck and let us know of any stores you find.
dthb4438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

A little farther north of Aquarium Depot is Exotic Aquatics. Their plants aren't the greatest, but their fish are always nice and healthy. Also, check out SCALES in Cloverly. They have nice healthy fish as well and their plant selection tends to be pretty good.

Of course, the best plant source is our local club GWAPA as someone already mentioned. Members bring their trimmings to out monthly meetings and auction them off. You can't find healthier plants in the store.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
sharkscott2

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm in Calvert County and we do make trips to Aquarium Depot but the other two places we check is Scales (http://www.scales-tfw.com/index.html) near Silver Spring and Tropical Fish World Inc (http://www.tropicalfishworld.com/home.html) in Gaithersburg. Both are nice and have a good selection of plants. They aren't terribly far apart, so we often hit both in the same trip.
sharkscott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
KurtG
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I went to Scales and must say that I was impressed with the conditions of the tanks. I would rate them above the other two in terms of conditions, but not sure they have quite the same selection as if you still make a circuit and hit a couple stores.

I got a nice tank bred female German Ram at Scales. House of Tropicals only had hormone induced males and Aquarium Depots tank was sick and pulled.

My tank is now stocked so, the trips will be fewer.

We used to hit the Aquarium Depot as it is on the way to the Russian food stores in Baltimore that my wife likes to hit. Now that we moved, House of Tropicals is on the way too. Scales was a bit out of the way, but worth it.
KurtG is offline   Reply With Quote