Dead Cory, burst belly?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
gerbillo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Dead Cory, burst belly?

I have 6 habrosus corys in QT and one of them died sometime today. They were in there for nearly a month and I was planning to move them to my tank soon, so it's sad that one never made it to their new home. The poor thing looked like it's underbelly bursted open, rather gruesome. Nothing looked unusual when I fed them this morning, except maybe I noticed one of them seemed to be swimming in the water column a little bit more, but I was in and out all day so I couldn't confirm the observation, and they sometimes do that anyway.

As a precaution I did a 50% water change and tested my parameters: zero ammonia and nitrite, about 5 ppm nitrate. I'm not noticing anything from the remaining 5 and I'm hoping what happened to the one fish was isolated. Anyone have an idea what happened and whether I should be concerned for the remaining fish?
gerbillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbillo View Post
I have 6 habrosus corys in QT and one of them died sometime today. They were in there for nearly a month and I was planning to move them to my tank soon, so it's sad that one never made it to their new home. The poor thing looked like it's underbelly bursted open, rather gruesome. Nothing looked unusual when I fed them this morning, except maybe I noticed one of them seemed to be swimming in the water column a little bit more, but I was in and out all day so I couldn't confirm the observation, and they sometimes do that anyway.

As a precaution I did a 50% water change and tested my parameters: zero ammonia and nitrite, about 5 ppm nitrate. I'm not noticing anything from the remaining 5 and I'm hoping what happened to the one fish was isolated. Anyone have an idea what happened and whether I should be concerned for the remaining fish?
You say you performed 50% water change and tested parameter's.
Would be better to test water BEFORE water change to get better picture of what water is like.
Hard to do anything but speculate without necropsy on fish.
Might give the other's another week or two in QT.
Certainly would not medicate unless I knew what I was medicating for.
Fish could have been Egg bound.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
gerbillo
Algae Grower

I agree about testing before hand, but hard to think clearly when I only wanted to sleep. I don't think it would have mattered in this case because the only detection was a little bit of nitrate, and the two nights before were also zero ammonia and nitrite, and nitrate was 1020 ppm. If it was really necessary, I still have a bucket of the old water that I haven't thrown out yet.

I had a feeling about the difficulty diagnosing. A search on a few forums didn't turn up anything similar. Good idea about the extra time in QT. Disappointing, but hopefully this was isolated. The one that died was one of the smaller ones, so I thought it was likely male but I'm not sure. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

What kind of substrate do you have in the aquarium?
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
gerbillo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
What kind of substrate do you have in the aquarium?

It was the QT, so bare bottom.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
thelub

Strange indeed. Maybe an odd case of dropsy?
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

A few thing's I might look at.
Majority of cory's will do better longer in cool ,oxygen rich water with temp's between 73 degree's F and 76 degree's F.
could be difference between fishes that live but a few week's/month's, and those that live year's.
Cooler temp's hold more oxygen than warmer water ,and cooler water can help slow possible bacterial pathogen's.
Is wise to QT fishes, and you have saved other fishes from possible spread of pathogen's unknown.
With bare bottom QT, one can observe fish poop to see if it is solid looking and of similar color of food's offered as opposed to clear/white stringy looking which could indicate intestinal parasites.
Mixing food's with anti-parasite med's would be helpful if it is the latter of the two.
Will assume, (alway's a bad thing) that there is some type of filtration on the QT(sponge filter's work well) in which case I would not get too aggressive with cleaning the material for without substrate,,the lion's share of the bacteria will be found on the filter material and maybe some on the glass.
If no filter is present,or filter is not mature,,then daily small water change with conditioner such as PRIME that addresses not only chlorine/chloramines,but also ammonia would be my choice.
Would feed fish sparingly with fresh food's, not expired food's perhap's once a day, or every other day tiny feeding's no more than you actually observe them eat in a few minutes rather than dumping too much food ,too often in small tank.
New life Spectrum pellet's for small fish,hikari sinking wafer's(these are small),shrimp pellet's,and quality flake food's work well for these fishes and are but a few that I use with good result's.
Would see that no one else is also offering food's.
Would not offer frozen bloodworm's, but that bit of advice is just my personal opinion based on troubles with numerous species that seemed to go away with the elimination of these sewer larvae with other fishes as well as the cory's.(opinion's/expierience's vary).
Would not share net's ,bucket's,vaccum's, used in quarantine with other tank's without bleach /water soak to help prevent possible spread of pathogen's unknown.
Hope some of this help's.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

When a fish dies, some of its tank make will eat it stomach. Gruesome but it's the main case.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
When a fish dies, some of its tank make will eat it stomach. Gruesome but it's the main case.
+1. This is what probably happened with the cory right after it died.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
gerbillo
Algae Grower

New development, at least three of the corys have a white "bump" on their head. Could this be columnaris? Can't tell if it's fuzzy, but it's not white specks all over the body like ich. I'm looking it up now but what's the treatment?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
gerbillo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

I've never heard of this before but I should be too surprised. Tank-mates, you bastards!

A second cory died with a whitish growth covering its entire head, but belly was intact. I started a Maracyn Two treatment under the assumption that it's columnaris. The remaining four corys seem okay. Three still have small growths on their heads but it appears to be shrinking, and there are two more treatment days left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.