Eheim Pro 3 2080 Weak Return - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #16
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

What are you using for media inside the Eheim? I don't want to make it sound like you don't have it put together right because it sounds like you have went through everything but I have to ask. There is a green plastic screen that goes on top of the white fine filter pad and I have put mine under it before on accident and it caused problems. Here is a picture of the way the trays go into the unit just to double check that. Other than that the only other thing I can think of is that there is air trapped in the unit so you may have to completely empty the unit and all the lines and try to re-prime it and start it up again. I thought maybe it was a combination of your equipment inline and the custom spraybar that was causing a decrease in flow but after seeing your video I understand what you're saying about the flow meter not showing full power.

http://thereefshop.com.au/images/eheimpro3.jpg
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #17
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about with the green screen. The link isn't working but, I do have it above the tray with the white filter pad. I also put cotton stuffing in there and the green tray helps hold it in from the top tray. I have emptied it several times and reprimed it and nothing. The only thing I have different is I have the filter pad inside the bottom of that top first media tray with the cotton stuffing on top of that with the green screen on top of that. Not sure if that makes much of a difference. I would think it would.

I can understand if the flow indicator was at full power and I had low flow, but there is not even strong flow coming from the canister at all.

One thing I am not sure of is when I take the head unit off water comes pouring out of it. Is that normal with this canister. Another thing I have observed which if it is sealed tight shouldn't be happening. Is if I tilt it water pours out of it. I don't think that is normal. So if that is not normal then that is my problem as it is not getting a tight seal and is leaking air. I have pushed it down as far as I could get it and even put Vaseline on the gasket around the head and didn't help.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #18
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

It shouldn't be leaking water when you tip it to the side, so there is something wrong with the gasket. I would check the gaskets placement and I would also remove the cotton stuffing. When I had my green screen in the wrong place being below the white foam pad it was causing the pad to be sucked up against the pump head and restricting the flow that's why I thought it might be that. But maybe the cotton stuffing is getting sucked up too tight against the screen. Also make sure that the white pad is not under the handle of the media tray.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 AM   #19
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
It shouldn't be leaking water when you tip it to the side, so there is something wrong with the gasket. I would check the gaskets placement and I would also remove the cotton stuffing. When I had my green screen in the wrong place being below the white foam pad it was causing the pad to be sucked up against the pump head and restricting the flow that's why I thought it might be that. But maybe the cotton stuffing is getting sucked up too tight against the screen. Also make sure that the white pad is not under the handle of the media tray.
In my troubleshooting I did remove the cotton stuffing to see if that was maybe it. I also removed all the media actually.

When you say make sure the white pad is not under the handle of the media tray. Does that mean it can't be in the bottom of the media tray it has to be outside of the tray above it?

Any idea how the gasket is suppose to be placed just for clarification in case it is on there wrong? I bet that is my problem but I am going to check the other too.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #20
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
In my troubleshooting I did remove the cotton stuffing to see if that was maybe it. I also removed all the media actually.

When you say make sure the white pad is not under the handle of the media tray. Does that mean it can't be in the bottom of the media tray it has to be outside of the tray above it?

Any idea how the gasket is suppose to be placed just for clarification in case it is on there wrong? I bet that is my problem but I am going to check the other too.
I'm sure there is a channel that the gasket should fit into as I'm sure it's the same as my 2126 but don't know for sure without seeing a picture of the head. And yes the white pad has to be on top of the tray and can't be under the handle of the tray. The blue pad goes under the handle but the white pad has to sit on top of the tray with the handle down first and then the green screen on top of that. I would suggest putting some biological media in the top tray and then place the white foam pad after that. I use Eheim substrate Pro and Efeimech in mine and while they cost more and I'm sure that beast of a filter holds a ton of media I have had my media for 6+ years and still works great.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #21
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I checked the gaskets again and they are all seated good. They are installed by the factory so they can only go in one way and can't really come out unless you physically ripped them out.

I moved the white cotton stuffing to the very bottom and moved my bio media to the top. Then I placed the white pad on top of the tray then placed the green screen on top of that and then the pre-filter tray with the blue foam pad on top of it. Still barely even getting 50% power if even that much.

On another note when I tip the filter it doesn't leak so that is a good sign and I am at least getting a good seal.

I think I have a bad pump to be honest. Maybe that is why this unit was on sale for as much as it was. I have read some reviews on this unit have some bad pumps and the Pro3 series not being as good as the Pro2. I sent Eheim Support an email. Hopefully they can tell me what can be done. There is no other reason I can think of that the flow would be weak even with the stock Eheim intake and return.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #22
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah I don't know what else to tell you because it sounds like you have it hooked up the right way. I guess the blue filter pad is different on the Pro 3 models as it goes in after the white pad but on my Pro II it is before the white foam pad. I would contact Eheim and see what they can tell you. I have always been happy with every Eheim product that I have owned and you should get really good flow with that big filter as mine gives me enough additional flow along with my wet/dry. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
Dantrasy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to read of your troubles texan.

You've tried most eveything. It's a long shot, but you outflow might look weak cause your bar is so long. If it were me I'd put the stock ouput back on , put a container under it and measure what comes out in one min. then convert to 1 hr. Least then you'll know exactly what's it chucking out and how big the problem really is.
Dantrasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #24
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post

You've tried most eveything. It's a long shot, but you outflow might look weak cause your bar is so long. If it were me I'd put the stock ouput back on , put a container under it and measure what comes out in one min. then convert to 1 hr. Least then you'll know exactly what's it chucking out and how big the problem really is.
Spot on! At least you'll know how close you are to actual stated GPH from Ehiem before you talk to them.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post

Thanks, like I stated on the first page I did hook up all the stock Eheim parts and still the same results. It isn't the size of the spray bar. I have used this exact same design in the past for about 20+ yrs many many times without issue. Works fine with my Fluval 406 but it won't turn this tank over as many times as the Eheim since it is larger which is why I decided to go with it.

Hopefully I will hear back from them soon. If I don't have an email by morning I am just going to call them.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #26
myster619

Remove all the media and run it. See what happens.

Take out the impellar and give it a clean.

Check to se if the media order is right.
myster619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #27
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster619 View Post
Remove all the media and run it. See what happens.

Take out the impellar and give it a clean.

Check to se if the media order is right.
I am going to guess you didn't read the entire thread before posting huh? LoL
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #28
myster619

Did you try turning the handle?
myster619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #29
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

How are the hoses run for the intake/output to the tank?

Are there any elbows or other types of connectors involved?

The distance from the filter to the tank?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
How are the hoses run for the intake/output to the tank?

Are there any elbows or other types of connectors involved?

The distance from the filter to the tank?

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Back on page one there is a link to a video that shows the likely problem.
Check this and see if you can spot some problems.
www.youtube.com/embed/zfJRgCTRRsA

I see very little left to call it an Eheim filter.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote