Eheim canisters, questions about parts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Eheim canisters, questions about parts

Just picked up an Eheim Classic 2213 and Eheim Ecco 2334. Used, paid $80 for both. Not bad at all.

These are the first canisters I've used besides the Magnum 350. Have spent most of the day testing, cleaning, and determining what I need to fully pimp them out. Only a few questions remain:

1) The o-rings in the quick disconnects are in questionable condition. They leak for a while after reconnection, even after lube. Has anyone successfully replaced these with o-rings from Lowe's, Home Depot, or similar?

2) One of them has this on the 1/2" output tube:

The other only has a bare tube, for which I'd like to get a matching adjustable output. But I can't find an exact match in Eheim's catalog. I did find an "Eheim 4005600 Installation Set 2 Ball Joint", which is fancier and not sold through my usual vendors. After paying separate shipping it will be $17 minimum, a bit silly for such a trivial piece of plastic. Alternatives?

3) Both came with this tiny intake strainer:

Which I think could clog far too easily. I found that Eheim has a nice intake prefilter, which I was ready to order until I saw this:

Ok, we've gone from too small, to way too big! What I'd really like is something similar to the strainer on the Magnum/Eclipse:

But it's for 3/4" tube, not 1/2". Is there an adapter? Or a similar strainer that doesn't need one?
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use the Eheim strainer pictured on a couple Eheim 2217's that filter 80 gal heavily planted tank and have not had problem with clogging.(great flow)
Without prefilter over the intake ,I have to fish shrimp out of the canister when I clean them.(tiny babies)
When I used prefilter's over the intakes,,these prefilter's clogged considerably by week's end and needed cleaning.
I think O ring's from hardware store would work fine.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've used that green strainer too, no problems.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

i swapped out O-rings from ones bought at the local home improvement store. its fine as long as it fits.
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

wat are u using to grease it up..
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Green strainer with no prefilter here too. Never had a problem. Also have to pick RCS babies out of the mech when I clean lol
Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Thanks for all the replies! Ok, I'll give the green strainers a try, and change them out later only if I actually have issues.

Still looking for a reasonably priced option for redirecting output flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
wat are u using to grease it up..
Vaseline. The manual said it was an acceptable option for the main o-ring seal. It doesn't mention lubing the quick disconnect seals, but I'm hoping it's ok for them too.

Although I have had some negative experiences with Vaseline. I've used it on airline couplers connected to DIY CO2 systems. Over time, it attacked the coupler, which shrank - looking exactly as if it had been melted by heat. Not sure what plastic these cheap couplers were made of, perhaps LPDE. Plus it hardened and clouded the silicone tubing. Both of which resulted in leaks on multiple tanks a few months after I started using Vaseline. I'll probably pick up some solvent-free silicone oil in the near future.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How about silicone grease, found in the plumbing section of big box stores.

That flow redirect thingy looks like what some of the Fluval nano tanks use, maybe you can find spare parts?
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
MChambers
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've bought o-rings for the Eheim valves at my local hardware store. I've used silicone grease, too.

I slip a sponge over the intake and clean it every week or two.
MChambers is offline   Reply With Quote