Stocking ideas for Moat Pond around a garden
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Andrew.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Stocking ideas for Moat Pond around a garden

I'm gonna build a pond that will be surrounding a 10 ft circle garden it will be 3 ft wide and 3 ft deep it will have 3 feet around it to walk around and have access to all parts of it. around the access area will be a short picket fence (to keep my dogs out) and will have a gate to access the access area lol. I'm probably going to make a small wooden arch bridge so the garden in the center will be accessible. I live in Washington so nothing should need tons of sun, and should be able to handle sun all summer long w/ out rain. I haven't done ponds before and am a newbie so i want advice on what fish/ plants/ lights maybe for night???/ and filtration I should get. I think the pond i described would be like 2500 gallons. Also if i need to i could make the moat wider by a foot possibly two but no more. I will attach a pic of my idea generally if i wasn't clear enough. I'd like to have something big like koi or goldfish, plants so filtration is easier, and smaller fish like cherry shrimp or minnows maybe crayfish (probably not), and a lighting system so i can see it at night. Ideas???
I also don't care if the fish would eat the shrimp as long as they wouldn't decimate the population because i'm going to breed shrimp in a 10 gal so i could just put all my culled shrimp in there instead of selling, giving them away, or feeding them to my clown loaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119[1].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	258937  

Last edited by Andrew.; 01-13-2014 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Adding more detail
Andrew. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

This is an awesome idea, maybe some sort of solar lights that come at night. What's it the garden? Do an Asian theme with the bridge and have a cherry blossom tree on the island.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Andrew.
Planted Member

Does anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
Andrew.
Planted Member

any ideas
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
Andrew.
Planted Member

any ideas would help
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Eglinlotus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

loaches would be your best bet for fish you live in washington and the water I can assume gets very cold very fast. Loaches and goldfish are some of the Cold water speices of fish. As for filteration you could use any pond canister filter. And you need a lot of heaters so the water temp can stay stable. As for plants go to this website http://www.aquariumplants.com/Cool_W...lants_s/19.htm
Those are all cool water aquairum plants. Designing it s all up to you. Whatever tickles your fancy.
Eglinlotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
adavisus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adavisus

Your pond volume is 687 gallons, the dimensions not suitable for adult koi (20+") goldfish or shubunkin might cope, nowhere near so demanding on water quality.

The symmetric moat design may be unrealistic to do unless you are a dab hand with precision forme work and pouring concrete, though it will likely shatter with cracks given a hard winter freeze. It may be more realistic to make an 8' circular pond and position some decking in the middle...

There's plenty of hardy aquatic plants suitable and easy to find, the smaller less invasive ones. Waterlilies, iris, marginal plants, submerged aquatics, though be wary of the junk plants being peddled on [Ebay Link Removed] Wretched place to find suitable plants...

Most aquarium plants are not likely to cope with a harsh winter, prolonged ice cover with snow blocking light

Solar and 12v LED lights would turn out well
adavisus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

If you can make a deep area 4' you should be able to winter them over. This could be done with a pond liner however, it will be a a cut & glue/weld challenge.

If there is a Asian market with fresh fish you may find weather loaches sold as food by the pound. These will be lager fish than seen in the LFS.

If you have Great Blue Herons out there or other large fishing birds. Common commet gold fish might be a better choice.

This is at the top of my Lotto Win dream list, a moat around my house.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I'd order mosquito fish every spring.

As for plants, lotus is always pretty. Creeping jenny is a wetland/margin plant that grows both underwater an on the land.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Andrew.
Planted Member

My winters aren't hard at all usually we have a period of a week maybe two where the temp is under 32 the rest of the winter/fall it stays mid 40s
Old 01-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Andrew.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavisus View Post
Your pond volume is 687 gallons, the dimensions not suitable for adult koi (20+") goldfish or shubunkin might cope, nowhere near so demanding on water quality.

The symmetric moat design may be unrealistic to do unless you are a dab hand with precision forme work and pouring concrete, though it will likely shatter with cracks given a hard winter freeze. It may be more realistic to make an 8' circular pond and position some decking in the middle...

There's plenty of hardy aquatic plants suitable and easy to find, the smaller less invasive ones. Waterlilies, iris, marginal plants, submerged aquatics, though be wary of the junk plants being peddled on [Ebay Link Removed] Wretched place to find suitable plants...

Most aquarium plants are not likely to cope with a harsh winter, prolonged ice cover with snow blocking light

Solar and 12v LED lights would turn out well
Check your math area of a 192 inch diameter circle is 28938 inches square then you do that - area of a circle with 120 inch diameter area (11304) is 17634 then that x inches tall (36) = 634832 inches cubed /231 inches cubed per gallon = 2748 gallons
Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

This type of pond would be quite a feat! I've never built a pond but maintain one as it came with the house. I really love it in the summer! I don't think pond liners would work well unless you plan to waste most of a very large sheet of it by cutting out the middle. Attaching sections of liner together to form the ring seems like a recipe for disaster long term. I know people do it for streams and have to be very careful about it. I have to say your idea would look awesome though.

My pond is supposedly ~2400g but I've yet to measure it myself. It came with "feeder comets" that have inhabited the pond for 7+ years and they are 8" or more in size. That is a cheap route to get started and have a larger number. I enjoy the coloration of Shubunkins so I added a few last summer as well as 2 koi. For me I wouldn't do more than 2 koi and I may be pushing it already, I wish my pond had more volume and less "ledges".
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

Different but the same....kind of..

AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
adavisus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adavisus

I used:

http://ncalculators.com/area-volume/...calculator.htm

5 ft circle (19 sq ft) subtracted from 8' circle (50 sq ft) gives 30.6 sq ft pond area
x3 (ft deep) to arrive at 91cubic foot
91 cubic foot = 687 gallons US
adavisus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 02:30 AM   #15
KenP
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

687 gallons looks correct. Filtering a ring pond / moat would be problematic. Very nice idea but might not be worth the maintenance effort. Especially for your first pond.
KenP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.