setting up a 40breeder and need opinions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #1
anthony10292
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

setting up a 40breeder and need opinions

I have been wanting to upgrade my 20 high.
So far I have:
-40 tetra breeder tank from petco sale this past summer
-eheim 2215 canister, also have aqueon quietflow for 30 gallons but not sure if I will be using it in new tank
-soil capped with ecocomplete from current tank (20h)
-diy co2

I ordered an odyssea 36in dual T5HO 6500k from aquatraders

I plan to order by Monday:
-Koralia nano 240, to help ensure good flow if I'm just using my eheim 2215
-Ista max mix reactor for my diy co2 but plan to upgrade to pressurized in the near future
-eheim jager 125w heater, heard great things about their dependability and longevity
-another bag of ecocomplete to cap the eco and soil from the current tank

How does this setup sound?

I plan to keep a pair of GBR, small school of denison barb/roselines, school of ottos, school of corydoras, and I may move over some cherries once tank is well established. As far as plants, Im really not too sure. What would do well with the light I ordered?
anthony10292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just a few thoughts:

The quiteflow may very well be overkill. I would keep it on hand and see how water quality holds up over time.

There's a LOT of T5 fixtures out there, but Odyssea woudn't be my first choice. They had some Horrible quality issues years ago, including meltdowns and fires. So dig around for reviews with long-term experience. They may have gotten better, but I've never even given that brand a look after reading those stories.

Great choice on the heater. I have dozens in use. You may want consider using two. Better heat distribution in a 3 foot tank.
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You should be able to grow about any plant you choose. Some plants may require you raise that light off the tank, some may require the addition of CO2.

What type of plants do you like.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
anthony10292
Algae Grower

I originally planned to use diy lighting, 2 or 3 spiral cfl 23 watt 6500k lights. By the time I bought the bulb, dome fixtures, and a glass top I would be paying more that way than the odyssea T5ho. I chose the odyssea because I found it on sale on aquatraders and its in my budget. I did some research and found that a few years back quality was shoddy but they have supposedly improved. So $50 for the light isn't too bad even if it lasts for a year or two its something to get me started.

As far as the heater I figured one would suffice because the temp here in Louisiana is really never low. My apartment never drops below 74 or so. I originally planned to skip on the heater but after reading great things on the jager line, I decided to give them a shot.

I planned to move some of the plants over from my current 20 such as some dwarf sag, dwarf lily, val, lud rep, bacopa. Im interested in getting something simple to carpet with, such as staurogyne repens or crypt parva. Also may want to try some type of hygro.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

With that much light available to work with I would suggest the staurogyne repens over the crypt parva.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 AM   #6
anthony10292
Algae Grower

I found out petsmart carries staurogyne repens so I picked two packs up today for $16 and planted in my shrimp tank. Decent deal for the amount you get. Pretty sure it's emmersed growth so I hope it transitions well.

If it does well I'll definitely be planting in my 40breeder

Old 01-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I also bought some downoi and staurogyne from petsmart and they both transitioned very well for me, hope yours also does well.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
anthony10292
Algae Grower

I was going to get downoi and staurogyn rep. And they were out of downoi. Also had crypt wendti, anubius Nana, and some other crypt.

About how long did it take for the plants to transition. And are you injecting co2?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

glad to see you were able to get your hands on S.Repens!
Sean W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
anthony10292
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip! A lot of stems for the money. Now I just have to be patient. Anxious to see them grow. Funny thing I was researching staurogyne rep on YouTube before you had helped me out. Watched the how to propagate vid. Later realized it was your channel lol. I subbed.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10292 View Post
Thanks for the tip! A lot of stems for the money. Now I just have to be patient. Anxious to see them grow. Funny thing I was researching staurogyne rep on YouTube before you had helped me out. Watched the how to propagate vid. Later realized it was your channel lol. I subbed.

haha that awesome man, thanks for the sub! Sorry for all the recent non aquarium based vids, im currently on vacation with the GF in Seattle. I return home on Wednessday. On thrusday ill post an update of the my tank. My mom is taking care of it right now, makes me super nervous haha.

Keep an eye out on my channel, ill be starting a 20 Long, 40 breeder and a 110 gallon soon!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
anthony10292
Algae Grower

I'll be on the lookout. And Id be nervous too. Luckily I've yet to have to leave my tanks for more than a couple days. That 110 has got to be exciting. I'm going from a 20 to a 40 and I'm already wanting to set up something bigger like a 75 or 90. That's just how it is I guess lol.

Quick question
You run co2 on your tank to carpet that plant? I have high light but no co2 over my tank. I'm hesitant to run co2 right now because my shrimp are on a breeding frenzy. I want them to hopefully spread. Really just testing them out in my 20long before I plant them in my soon to be 40.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just recently tore up my dwarf baby tear carpet and propagated the heck out of my S. Repens, enough to make it my carpet plant. S. Repens doesnt really " carpet " like you would think of your typical carpet plant. It doesnt shoot out runners under the substrate and start new stems. Its a stem plant, so it grows up and out from the main stem. To get a carpet of S. Repens you need sheer numbers, trim and propagate as much as possible if you want it to be your carpet plant.

ive ran with pressurized Co2 from day one, so i dont know how it will behave with no Co2.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10292 View Post
I was going to get downoi and staurogyn rep. And they were out of downoi. Also had crypt wendti, anubius Nana, and some other crypt.

About how long did it take for the plants to transition. And are you injecting co2?

The downoi literally took like 1-2 days to start growing new leave, I was very surprised that all of the downoi made it, you can see the transition in my journal after just a week (see pics on post 88 and 98). The s.repens on the other hand took about a week to transition and not all of them made it. Also yes I do inject co2 and a lot of it.