My 90 Gallon Dream Tank Build - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #76
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

The scape is done and the water is going in. With the plants I already had from my 55G I was able to trim plus what I got in my order I was able to salvage quite a bit and it is stocked full. So we will see what happens. I need to get some carpet plants for the front so I left it open. It is a good variety in there with lots of colors so it should look really good when it all fills in I hope. I will grab some pics tomorrow and post once it fills up and the water clears some. It is filling very slowly at the moment.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #77
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now I think this could be classified as a "high tech" tank. If anything it looks cool. Ha!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #78
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are a couple of pics in all its cloudy and new water bubble glory. I am going to make a couple of changes and move some things around in the foreground but need to get some more baby tears. I was only able to salvage like 3 small plugs from the 3 pots I got. We will see what happens. Once I get those and the plants I am missing I will move some others and make some small changes. Not much to look at now but I pleased as it should look really nice when I fills in but hard to tell right now.

One thing I am very happy and pleased with is the low profile look as there is not much hanging in the tank when it come to equipment. Two clear intakes, clear spray bar, drop checker, and circulation pump and that is it. I am also going to wait a couple weeks to put the fish back in so I can gas the tank good and let these plants get a head start and root and settle in.

The only 3 little plugs of baby tears I was able to save.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #79
jlfkona
Algae Grower

Looks great. I can't wait to see it grow in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlfkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:08 AM   #80
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Me too!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #81
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

I'd add 2-3x more plants asap and plan on water changes every 3rd day for a month, then many 2x a week for the next.

Set the Vortech at the lower range, for 4ft tanks, I do not think we really need them, but if you have a canister, then sure. Most 6ft+ tanks benefit from them though.

Set the AM1000 at a starting bps rate of 3-4 bps.

Then watch.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #82
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I'd add 2-3x more plants asap and plan on water changes every 3rd day for a month, then many 2x a week for the next.

Set the Vortech at the lower range, for 4ft tanks, I do not think we really need them, but if you have a canister, then sure. Most 6ft+ tanks benefit from them though.

Set the AM1000 at a starting bps rate of 3-4 bps.

Then watch.
It is actually stocked full of plants. There is at least 12-15 different varieties in there. It is just really hard to see from the pics because of the driftwood and the rocks are in the way. The entire back wall and behind the driftwood is packed solid. The only exception is in the foreground where I was going to put dwarf baby tears and one other thing but they left one out of the order and the other came melted and I was only able to salvage three small plugs of the baby tears. I am going to see if I can find some local and if not order some more. That is why the foreground is empty because it is reserved for it. Otherwise it is full. Once it grows in you will really be able to see it.

The MP10 is set at 30% on lagoon via the Apex on a 6 hr on 6 hr off intervals and provides a nice flow in the tank keeping things stirred up without disturbing the plants. I am not getting a good flow from my canister right now as there is something wrong with it. I have emailed Eheim about it. So they may have to send me a new pump.

I do have my CO2 set at 3-4 BPS so everything is good there.

I also planned on doing water changes every other day for the first month. So about 3 times a week.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #83
ElviaRogers
Algae Grower

That is a great project you got out there. Nice build as well. Hope that turns into a nice tank. Wishing you good luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #84
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviaRogers View Post
That is a great project you got out there. Nice build as well. Hope that turns into a nice tank. Wishing you good luck.
Thanks I am hoping it turns out nicely as well. Can't wait to see how it looks when it fills in. I am sure I will have to make some changes and move some plants around to get the look I am wanting once they start to fill in.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #85
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did my first of three water changes of the week last night. Actually did it a day early. Forgot what day it was. Oh well it won't hurt anything. Next one is scheduled for the 16th then the 18th. and every other day after that for the next month.

Also did some moving around of plants to make room for my foreground plants so it will look a little more organized so to speak. I am sure I will be doing some more changes once they stem plants in the back start to rebound and fill in. It should look really nice once it starts to fill in so overall I am pleased with the progression despite the delays it took to get this build going. A month late but better late then never. Also hopefully I will have my 2nd BML 10K fixture to replace the defective one that was damaged in shipping so I can get this thing cooking. I also got my custom mount for me Apex probes made and my doser installed and in place. I will have some more info and maybe a video on that later. I hit a little problem which I am trying to figure out how to approach.

On another note. I am very pleased with how easy it is to work with the ADA Amazonia Aquasoil. I think having some good aquascaping tools doesn't hurt. I didn't have those my first go around with the 55G and man do they make life much easier.

I will try to grab some pics when the lights come up. In the meantime I am looking for some plants. Anyone know of a good source that has nice healthy and green Staurogyne repens, dwarf baby tears and downoi?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #86
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

They will fill in with time, they hardly ever look great with the shipping and replanting. They always come back though with some tlc!
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #87
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Contact Tom for the stauro, you won't be disappointed and you will get way more than anyone else you would buy from. The time I got some from him I ordered 25 stems and got 3x that many. Check and see if he has any downoi for sale at this time also.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #88
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up. I will send him a message and see what he has. Some of the best plants I have I got from other members and were in a lot better shape than from stores online. So I am a little leery about placing another only order like that and they charge way to much for shipping.

Yes, they will fill in with time and it is normal to see some melting at first. I am a little worried about the batch I ordered as they were not in very good shape when they arrived and this is twice I have ordered from this place who claims to have the best plants and they are not. Not to mention they are very overpriced on shipping. The ones I took from my 55G are in good shape and are doing very well. I did notice today some of the plants are already rebounding and showing new signs of growth and green tops so that is a positive that things are moving in the right direction.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #89
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are a couple pics of the new growth. Still looks like a mess but it is still early and should look great when they all rebound and take off.

Last edited by Texan78; 01-15-2014 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #90
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did a water test just now and looks like things are coming along. Here are the results.

Temp: 77.7
pH: 6.87
Ammonia/NH4: 1 PPM
Nitrates/NO3: 5 PPM
Nitrites/NO2: 1 PPM
KH/Alkalinity: 4 dKH/71.6 PPM
GH: 4 dKH/71.6 PPM
Phosphate/PO4: 0

I figured my PO4 would be a little higher since I am dosing but that is probably a good sign as that means the plants are taking what's being dosed in and not showing on the test. At least that is what I am hoping that means. So far so good I suppose.

Maybe this tank will be cycled faster than I thought. It had a jump start though with some of the plants and petrified wood coming from my 55G and some of the media from the other filter was put in this new filter.