Hunter X's Arduino Whole Tank Controller (52K Warning) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-11-2014, 02:48 AM   #76
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
Is they wifi shield worth getting? I still have a nano and a mega board to play with
I don't have any experience with the WiFi shield, so I can't really say. I just went with the TP Link nano router because I already had the Ethernet shield.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
bigd603 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #77
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd603 View Post
Hey everyone, I got the replacement nano router, and finally got it up and running. It is working really well! I put together a quick little sketch with Xively's service to read a DS18B20 temp sensor. You can check out the feed here: https://xively.com/feeds/835109294

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. The nano router was super easy to setup, and Xively has tons of examples so it was easy to put together a working test. Being able to graph and access my data from anywhere is really cool. I read that you can supposedly turn things on and off through Xively, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Hunter, I know you were pretty excited to hear my thoughts on the nano, and so far its obviously a big thumbs up, but I just wanted to make sure you know that you also need an ethernet shield, or another way to connect the arduino to ethernet (something like this will work too: http://www.robotshop.com/en/w5100-et...rk-module.html). I didn't make that clear when I first mentioned it. If you already have one, then perfect, get the router. I was lucky enough to get it on sale for like $15. If you don't already have one check out Adafruit's wifi shield for $40:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1491

They also have a low cost breakout board for $35:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1469

If I didn't have the ethernet shield already, I would go for one of those. However, I don't know if they ship to APOs.
I love it brother. I especially liked how the Xively sight tracks that data in a graph format as well. I went ahead and ordered the breakout board. I can['t wait to get it up and running. Thank you very much for taking the time to research and then post your findings. Also for posting where to purchase the parts I needed. Very Cool!
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #78
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

It response to the great advice, I got the diodes installed to prevent any voltage spikes while any of the motors are "coasting"! Cycled them through a few times and everything appears to be working as expected. I did have to move put the controls for the motors on a different set of outputs. I need the outputs the motors were connected to for the new wifi breakout board. Thanks to BigD I'm now anxiously waiting for another shipment. Thanks BigD!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #79
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

how did you install them? I actually got flyback diodes in the mail yesterday. friday was a handful of things from amazon; but nothing I can really start with... i suppose the fun starts when the ac to dc power supply comes in.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #80
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

I soldered them between the wire connections running to the motors. The side of the DIOD with the black line should be soldered to the positive wire. Have you started any "code" yet?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #81
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't started any programming yet. Still research the handful of node gpio libraries out there. it's looking like I'll need to figure a mix between python and javascript to get mine to work.

i'm trying to plan the programming out a bit more in order to have an easier time of adding/removing/moving things around. such as a way to register components to gpio pins; with probably a plain text config file.

I might get started on some preliminary stuff to cut my teeth on tonight. something simple... turning an LED on/off lol. that'll go far though, controlling a gpio pin. pretty much the basis for everything.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #82
bigd603
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
It response to the great advice, I got the diodes installed to prevent any voltage spikes while any of the motors are "coasting"! Cycled them through a few times and everything appears to be working as expected. I did have to move put the controls for the motors on a different set of outputs. I need the outputs the motors were connected to for the new wifi breakout board. Thanks to BigD I'm now anxiously waiting for another shipment. Thanks BigD!
No problem, man, glad I could help. I've had an autodoser based off of Shift's work that I have been wanting to expand to an all out controller. I had already done a bunch of research into components but never really did anything. This thread has really inspired me to finally get moving on it, so thank you Hunter. This stuff is a lot of fun, and this collective work is really what arduino is all about. It will be fun to see what all of us here put together.

Scapegoat, you said you need to find some code to program the GPIO pins. Are you using something other than Arduino? Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #83
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Hey. Yeah, I'm using a raspberry pi. I wanted a gui from the start. And being a web developer I've decided to go with nodejs to program the controller. More specifically meteorjs, a websocket based framework. So I'll end up with a web based guide accessible on my home network that'll be used to set my timing and view data like temps.

And not really find. There are a handful of node gpio libraries out there, it's just deciding on which one
Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #84
bigd603
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
Hey. Yeah, I'm using a raspberry pi. I wanted a gui from the start. And being a web developer I've decided to go with nodejs to program the controller. More specifically meteorjs, a websocket based framework. So I'll end up with a web based guide accessible on my home network that'll be used to set my timing and view data like temps.

And not really find. There are a handful of node gpio libraries out there, it's just deciding on which one
That's pretty cool, can't wait to see how that turns out too.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #85
bigd603
Planted Member

Hunter, is there a fuse built into that power entry module?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #86
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hunter, is there a fuse built into that power entry module?
bigd,

No the one I have does have a line conditioner built into but not a fuse. It would be a great idea to have a fuse built into the high voltage side. I would also recommend a power switch built into the power entry module. They were on back order when I ordered mine so I bought the plain version.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #87
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default BOX Plan

I was asked what the dimensions of the box were so I thought I would upload the plan in case anyone else was curious. It's drawn to scale so I knew everything would fit. It did change some but that is to be expected.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HunterX Box Design.pdf (308.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #88
bigd603
Planted Member

It might not be a bad idea to add a second fan into the box on the opposite side, so one is blowing in and the other is blowing out. With just one blowing out you will have negative pressure, and essentially create a vacuum inside the case. You could also relieve this issue just by drilling some holes into the case, but if it does get really hot in there a second fan would really help.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #89
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
It might not be a bad idea to add a second fan into the box on the opposite side, so one is blowing in and the other is blowing out. With just one blowing out you will have negative pressure, and essentially create a vacuum inside the case. You could also relieve this issue just by drilling some holes into the case, but if it does get really hot in there a second fan would really help.
Sorry I didn't make that more clear. Yes you have to have some way for air to get into the box when the fan is on. For me, I made sure the lid doesn't seal all the way. There is about a 1/16 gap along the back edge to allow air in. Too be honest, the box just doesn't get that hot. My room stays about 63F and the box stays at about 74F. The fan doesn't even kick on until it gets 78. So in my current conditions, it hardly ever comes on.

Last edited by HunterX; 01-20-2014 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #90
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That's pretty cool, can't wait to see how that turns out too.

you and me both... I haven't started anything, but I expect to get a bunch more stuff in throughout the week. Though I won't be getting the FET board until later in the month.

So i'll take that time to start drawing up schematics and planning the layout of the gpio and writing some requirements.

It's also looking like I need a way to raise the 3v3 from the raspi gpio's to 5v. at least for the main relay.

I also have a gertboard i'm trying to figure out how to incorporate: such as using the open collector driver to power the channel relays? it looks like I can control up to 6 devices with the OCD, I just have to connect a 5v power supply to it. I might be getting to the point that I need to start my own thread here for relevant assistance.

Last edited by scapegoat; 01-13-2014 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: a
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.