Spec III high tec
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Spec III high tec

Day 0

Split in the stone with HC and HM

HC carpet

Equipment
  • Fluval Spec III
  • 2x Fluval 13W mini PC light
  • Self-collected granite
  • 10 lbs Tahitian Moon Sand
  • 10 lbs pressurized CO2
  • Milwaukee pH controller

Plants
  • H. callitrichoides
  • H. Micranthemoides
  • H. Corymbosa "Angustifolia"

After a long hiatus from the hobby, real-life has allowed me to have time and room for this desktop nano. I had all the CO2 equipment, so I bought a Spec III to put it in I like overkill sometimes.

A few notes:
  • The stones are inert. Not fancy Japanese inert stones, but I like them.
  • The water is stained because it came from my other tank which is soaking some cypress. A few water changes should fix that, but I wanted cycled water and that's what I had.
  • The sand is deep. After the HC takes I'll probably drop a couple trumpet snails in, and I'll probably regret it. But I'm going to do it anyway.
  • Yes that's a lot of light. In fact, I kept the LED that came with the Spec in place as well.

My water is about 11 degress KH, and I'm going to run 35ppm CO2 24/7 with the controller to put the pH at about 7. Will dose EI (if it ain't broke ...)

I'll probably pull the hygro once things get settled and fill that area with b. japonica, or maybe something red. Besides the trumpet snails that I'm sure are a really bad idea, I'll either just collect some freshwater scuds to keep any algae in check, or over time drop the KH and CO2 down a bit and add some cherry shrimp. Ask me again in a month or so.

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and seeing their pictures during the past few years, so I wanted to contribute now that I can.

I'll update regularly as things either take off, or crash and burn. Either way I'm going to have fun with it
gbhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 1

No changes. Threw in a couple A. nana until my wife has her betta tank ready for them.

HC not dead yet, so that's a plus.

Need to put the junk back in the box and away from my tank.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
Dantrasy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fantasic hardscape. Love the bold split rock look. Trimming the hc inbetween those two big rocks won't be easy, but it'll be worth it. Like you said, in time it would be nice to swap the back right with a few stems of colorata or wallichii (for red/orange colour and a better match with hc imo). But as it sits, you have one very cool little tank. Are you using root tabs?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. No idea how I'll trim between the rocks, but I'll figure something out. Maybe just pour more sand in and bury it all :p

I have a couple boxes of root tabs laying around. I think I'm going to wait until the HC starts showing new submerged growth before I bury one though.

A lot has changed in the past few years, and a lot of trial and error is going to happen. The wife wants to be sure I still have my green thumb before I work on the tank in the living room

All I can promise is that I'm going to have fun.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

This was short-lived.

The Spec developed a healthy leak in the right rear (right above the power strip). Everything is in a couple of buckets while I play Amazon return roulette